• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

joe-ilya said:

Doom MIDIs the punk rock way? Anyone?

That sounds highly interesting to me.

I only just realized that "stimpack" stands for "stimulation pack". for years I never really bothered to think about what might this word mean.

Check out the (presumably co-op) Doomguy in the Cyberdemon image. Notice anything about what frame is being shown?

Not only is it a "missing" frame that was never revealed until recently, it's also REVERSED from what we would consider normal.

Was the Doomguy sprite originally left handed??

(And no, the whole image isn't mirrored, the Cyberdemon and the lighting on the pistol are both normal.)

JudgeDeadd said:

I only just realized that "stimpack" stands for "stimulation pack". for years I never really bothered to think about what might this word mean.

Same here - always thought to myself... that small health package has a pretty cool sounding name... whatever that name means.

On another note...
The Jaguar source code seems to contain an unused variable 'lowfloor' in 'pmaputl.c/P_LineOpening(...)'

The function is used to see if a line, given it is a 2sided one, exhibits an opening by having it's front/back floor ceiling combos checked...
"[ min(ceiling_heights) - max(floors_heights) ] > 0"
-> means something, perhaps sound, can travel through(e.g. an imp fart).

The var 'lowfloor' stores the floor height that was the lower of the two floors - not used for calculating the opening delta.

Would be interesting what Jonathan "Mitzi" Carmack had in mind with that variable...

Btw - the Jaguar source code contains a "humongous" amount of assembler files which pretty much shows what a crazy workhorse Carmack is.

joe-ilya said:

The middle picture has a flying leg.

Lol, you're right! I've never paid attention to it before.

Linguica said:

Check out the (presumably co-op) Doomguy in the Cyberdemon image. Notice anything about what frame is being shown?

Not only is it a "missing" frame that was never revealed until recently, it's also REVERSED from what we would consider normal.

(And no, the whole image isn't mirrored, the Cyberdemon and the lighting on the pistol are both normal.)

Hey hey hey, I had seen that first :-(

Maes said:

Hey hey hey, I had seen that first :-(

I'm not surprised but the thread is about something *I* just found out :P

It does raise interesting questions, though. Those screenshots were almost certainly taken very late in development, like November or December. The "final" Lost Soul certainly suggests it was post press release beta because that still had the weird robo lost soul. We also know from the various alphas and betas that the full doomguy sprites were never in any of them (not strictly true, actually; PLAYA6/7/8 were in the 0.4 / 0.5 alphas, but not all the doomguy frames). So were they put back in late in development, and then taken back out again for some reason? The fact that the Doom manual includes missing frames for the humanoids suggests as much. But why in the world is the doomguy mirrored? That just makes no sense.

Maybe they just photoshopped that sprite into the screenshot to make it more exciting. Would be easier than trying to catch such a screenshot fairly. Plus someone might've felt good about finding a way to use an asset that didn't get used otherwise (and believe you me, that's a real thing that happens, source: work in a small gamedev company). Heck, stuff like the lost soul and the squinting caco in the top screenshot could've been pasted into them as well.

I have figured out how to run Doom95 in modern Windows.

1. First right-click on Doom95.exe and select Properties.
2. Click on Compatibility.
3. On the "Run this program in compatibility for", select Windows NT 4.0 service pack 5. (Don't use Windows 95 setting or it will not work).
4. Check Run in 640 x 480, Run in 256 colors and Disable visual themes.
5. Now run Doom95!

Bumping walls, getting damaged, picking stuff up(powerup sound, weapon sound, etc), pushing switches, opening doors, teleporting, using lifts, bumping into the floor, roaming with the chainsaw and waking other monsters up doesn't alert monsters.

Linguica said:

http://i.imgur.com/FPOwcKP.png

I'm not sure, but the scale of the characters looks a little weird to me. Could it be that the image was doctored? They could've just added this mirrored marine sprite because it looked better in this scene.

Marnetmar said:

It's still visible if you look at the title screen they were toying around with:

http://i.imgur.com/iMM1ydV.png

(flipped to match the sky's ingame representation)

I can see why they changed that mountain, it was just a copy of the other mountain from the picture.

As for being on topic, this is the first time I notice that the Episode 3 sky has static non-moving smog, not unlike the Doom 2 city skyline!

Linguica said:

Yeah, it doesn't. If some source port changed that then it's a weird and stupid alteration (like how ZDoom changes the behavior of the invisibility sphere so enemies don't see you until you fire your gun... wtf...)

You can alter that in ZDoom I think. Should be under compatibility -> monsters see invisible players.

I vaguely recall the change having something to do with Heretic.

What was the original behaviour? Not invisibility, but a wider error angle when shooting because you are not so clearly, yet still visible, like a spectre?

joe-ilya said:

Bumping walls, getting damaged, picking stuff up(powerup sound, weapon sound, etc), pushing switches, opening doors, teleporting, using lifts, bumping into the floor, roaming with the chainsaw and waking other monsters up doesn't alert monsters.

As far as I know, the only things that alert monsters are:
-Direct sight (+-90° from the monster's view direction).
-Taking damage (I mean, the monster takes damage).
-Pressing the fire button that the monster can "hear" (in the game's sense of pseudo-sound spreading). Non-deaf monsters will wake up immediately. Deaf monsters will wait until they can see the player (this time 360° all around) before waking up.

Yes, the "pseudo sound" (causing alerting monsters) emitted from the player is always emitted in the exact moment of pressing the fire button, not when firing a projectile or hitscan. Therefore you can start charging your BFG and open a door while it's charging, and then fire, and monsters behind the door won't even wake up if they faced the opposite direction, it doesn't matter if they were deaf or non-deaf. They will wake up upon taking damage, though.

dethtoll said:

I vaguely recall the change having something to do with Heretic.

Yes, the behavior of Heretic's Shadowsphere got accidentally applied to Doom's blursphere as well. When it was noticed, people said it was better this way, so it was turned into a compat option instead of reverted back unconditionally.

scifista42 said:

Yes, the "pseudo sound" (causing alerting monsters) emitted from the player is always emitted in the exact moment of pressing the fire button, not when firing a projectile or hitscan. Therefore you can start charging your BFG and open a door while it's charging, and then fire, and monsters behind the door won't even wake up if they faced the opposite direction, it doesn't matter if they were deaf or non-deaf. They will wake up upon taking damage, though.

It also works well with teleporters. I remember a level (IIRC in Reverie) where you're met by a squad of chaingunners after taking a teleport, and they start shooting at you while you're still paralyzed by the teleportation. But with proper timing and a BFG 9000, you can splatter them with the tracers.

scifista42 said:

-Taking damage (I mean, the monster takes damage).

And that doesn't work every time. At least when another monster hits the monster. Not entirely sure if the same happens with player dealt damage.

I didn't just learn it, but around a year ago I was browsing the DoomWiki and learned that the pistol shoots perfectly accurately if you release the fire key between shots. Gave me new appreciation for the lowly pistol.

SuperflyJohnson said:

I didn't just learn it, but around a year ago I was browsing the DoomWiki and learned that the pistol shoots perfectly accurately if you release the fire key between shots. Gave me new appreciation for the lowly pistol.

Chaingun does it too, and better. The technique is called pistol/chaingun tapping.

Looper said:

And that doesn't work every time. At least when another monster hits the monster. Not entirely sure if the same happens with player dealt damage.

Same deal really. You can try it in E1M1 by shooting the Shotgun Guys behind the tech pillars without wandering into their field of view. Sometimes they won't react to being shot.

Looper said:

Alright. When they enter their pain state, then they wake up. I'm almost sure, though, that I've seen damaged monsters waking up without entering pain state. I might be wrong, I'm not sure how it works exactly.