Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Gez said:

In the real world, though, health is not really reducible to a single value.

(Well, actually it is, but that's a value in dollars.)

You figured it out! Health items in Doom are actually electronic vouchers, which you use to buy instant medical treatment performed by nanorobots inside your suit or body. The entire complicated system of support for particular life functions is simplified and allegorized into a single "health value" only for the customer's convenience. It's vague anyway, but don't tell the customer!

I just recently realized that the Cyberdemons and Barons/Knights actually have horse feet, not goat or cow feet. There's a single digit to each hoof.

There's a graphic for E1M6's name called "The flambrain"

Was digital cafe going to make an IOS battle untill they finally realized the mod's for ultimate doom?

Gryregaest said:

... Cyberdemons and Barons/Knights actually have horse feet...

I knew it. Never trust a freaking horse.

joe-ilya said:

There's a graphic for E1M6's name called "The flambrain"

Was digital cafe going to make an IOS battle untill they finally realized the mod's for ultimate doom?

The Flembrane is a baron of hell that cannot move, met in E1M5.

Guest Unregistered account
Gez said:

The Flembrane is a baron of hell that cannot move, met in E1M5.

I always thought that trick worked quite well. Played in Vanilla CQ, I probably never would have noticed it was a sprite.

So in other news, I realised, after like 20 years of playing Doom, that the caco has no wait animation, only a single frame. So after they have pwned yo ass, all the other monsters rock back and forth, but the cac sits there like the giant red ball of blue blood and intestines that it apparently is.

The other monsters go one foot first, then the other. The symmetrical ones ... don't.

I always wondered why they coded 2 idle frames for most of the monsters. It wasn't necessary and it looked a lot weirder than them just standing still.

Perhaps they intended to make the monsters look like breathing (which seems likely to me), but they didn't want to bother with making additional sprites, and/or they decided that the bigger movement was cooler.

Da Werecat said:

There's also practical side: moving monsters are easier to spot by the player.

Guess it's to save on memory since having sprites devoted to idle would take up extra space so they simply used the monster's walking animation slowed down.

If ID would want to save on space, they would've removed all the ultimate doom graphics(E3 ending screen from Udoom, etc.) And replace them with a bunch of cool stuff they wanted(like those second angle sprites)

Marnetmar said:

I actually did wonder why Doomguy's fist didn't simply protrude straight forward from his chest like his guns do:

He's constantly aiming.

You can beat Plutonia Map12 without the Red Key.

Near the end of the level, there is a switch behind the Red Door. Hitting it makes a pillar lower from the ceiling, which has a switch on it (in the area surrounded by sniping Chaingunners). If you know where the pillar is you can activate it like any other switch when you teleport to the area. Hitting the switch raises the bridge to the exit pillar.

I just realized that the IOS is a monster poking his head through the wall. I always knew it was a "monster" but never actually put two and two together until today, after all these fucking years.

Flesh420 said:

I just realized that the IOS is a monster poking his head through the wall. I always knew it was a "monster" but never actually put two and two together until today, after all these fucking years.

It's not a monster. It doesn't get removed by the -nomonsters parameter :D

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

So in other news, I realised, after like 20 years of playing Doom, that the caco has no wait animation, only a single frame. So after they have pwned yo ass, all the other monsters rock back and forth, but the cac sits there like the giant red ball of blue blood and intestines that it apparently is.

Makes sense since cacos and PEs dont have any animations for moving/flying

Flesh420 said:

Oh...

I always thought it was a big head...

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/071/9/6/dl___doom_ii_icon_of_sin_by_crazydave55811-d4sj8kn.jpg

If you look around, its head actually appears to be screwed onto the wall. You can actually see pipes piercing into it from all sides and screws into its horns. Either that's life support or some desperate attempt to seal it. The wires keeping its head open seem to suggest the demons were trying to give it brain surgery or something, or maybe that's just for the demons to flow out of.

William Blazkowicz said:

PEs dont have any animations for moving/flying

Yes it does. Those stubby little arms at the side move. The reason why the PE doesn't animate while it's idle is because whoever was coding the monster just copy-pasted the Cacodemon definition and didn't bother with/get around to adding the second movement frame to its idle state. Or they did use it, but saw that it actually looks pretty dumb on the PE, even when compared to all the other animated idle states.

I always wondered... what happens to all the demons at the end of doom ii after you kill the IoS? I mean yeah it's just a game and any form of logic applies but I mean, if doomguy doesn't kill everything, wouldn't the demons from the level he exit that are alive think "Hmm, that guy trying to murder us has left and can never return. Maybe we should go kill people while he does his thing."? Well, for me I always just imagine after killing the IoS, all the demons are killed/sent back to hell in some sort of weird sort of... I guess symbolic type of way if that makes sense?

BaronOfStuff said:

Yes it does. Those stubby little arms at the side move. The reason why the PE doesn't animate while it's idle is because whoever was coding the monster just copy-pasted the Cacodemon definition and didn't bother with/get around to adding the second movement frame to its idle state. Or they did use it, but saw that it actually looks pretty dumb on the PE, even when compared to all the other animated idle states.

Why would the PE even shake it's hands when it's flying?

William Blazkowicz said:

I always wondered... what happens to all the demons at the end of doom ii after you kill the IoS? I mean yeah it's just a game and any form of logic applies but I mean, if doomguy doesn't kill everything, wouldn't the demons from the level he exit that are alive think "Hmm, that guy trying to murder us has left and can never return. Maybe we should go kill people while he does his thing."? Well, for me I always just imagine after killing the IoS, all the demons are killed/sent back to hell in some sort of weird sort of... I guess symbolic type of way if that makes sense?

I imagine that the entire IOS room tumbled down, killing all monsters inside. Regarding monsters left alive in previous levels, they could have been killed by marines / other people than Doomguy. By defeating the IOS, Doomguy stopped the invasion, as the influx of new demons into our world. The rest of the hard work (killing the remaining demons all over Earth) didn't have to rely on him personally.

joe-ilya said:

Why would the PE even shake it's hands when it's flying?

Steering? Heating himself? For comfort? To help releasing air out of its butt to push itself forward? Let's say that we will never know for sure. It's the PEs secret.

And then we move on to Doom 64's story where a new greater archvile-esque demon appears and resurrects every remaining rotting demon corpses on the moon bases into even tougher different looking demons.

scifista42 said:

Steering? Heating himself? For comfort?

I think it's jealosy. It doesn't have legs, so it tries to imitate walking however it can.