Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

The method of using striking, intense, colored lighting to build atmosphere and tension in the Williams Doom games is very similar to the Italian horror movies Suspiria and Inferno, both directed by Dario Argento.

MetroidJunkie said:

One way of looking at it is the Archvile is the highest ranking demon in hell (second to the Icon of Sin, of course). The reason why I say this? If an Archvile is hit by friendly fire and attacks another demon, said demon will never target the Archvile in retaliation. Even the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon will just sit there and take it.

Or he’s got some kind of Perception Filter. (Is it even “him?”) Just imagine that—other monster attacks a player and hits, invisible to them, Archvile. Now comes a retaliation, and aforementioned monster doesn’t know what attacks them. As if dealing with Doomguy wasn’t stressful enough.

E3M7 has only 47 monsters and it still feels like it's forever to finish just because of the mazey layout.

MetroidJunkie said:

ALL enemies save for the Icon of Sin are pushovers when you can afford to just spam the BFG. XD

The Big Fucking Gun Is your best fucking friend.

joe-ilya said:

E3M7 has only 47 monsters and it still feels like it's forever to finish just because of the mazey layout.

E1M1 has 4 monsters on easy, 6 on medium and 27 on hard. Bit of a jump amirite

All KDITD maps add a bunch of Shotgunguys on UV, except E1M8 and curiously also E1M2. Well, barring E1M2's outdoor Soulsphere secret - but still, it is clearly perceivable how E1M2's presence of Shotgunguys is minor in comparison to all other non-boss KDITD maps, even E1M1.

Not sure if this qualifies about "about Doom" or not but it just recently occurred to me that the MD3 Export script on Blender for eDuke32 that I've been using for GZDoom models automatically converts bone animations to frames. And, all this time, I've just been making them by hand, probably explains why my animations have been so stiff.

I thought the game just had tons of them anyway because I never play on anything under UV. E1M1 was incredibly underwhelming even just for the medium difficulty.

They probably never imagined many situations where you had to shoot something to do something. Would have been easier if they set it up like modern source ports where the trigger and action are separate events you can set up, then they'd have more flexibility without having to make a lot of presets.

The fact only hitscan impacts trigger those makes them much less useful.

Also, any hitscan attack that doesn't actually "hit" the switch (when, e.g., upper or lower texture it is), but passes through the linedef itself anyway, no matter the direction, will activate the switch nevertheless.

So you have a tunnel which when you exit has a switch on top of the wall above the tunnel but you also put a monster at the end of the tunnel, shooting the monster from inside the tunnel will activate the switch?

Dragonsbrethren said:

Could projectiles trigger those prior to v1.2? I can't remember if I ever tried.

I'm pretty sure you can activate shootable switches with projectiles in ZDoom maps but not any others which are closer to the original Doom. You can even set linedefs to trigger when a projectile passes through them, though I'm not sure if it counts hitscan weapons in this category of triggers.

SavageCorona said:

So you have a tunnel which when you exit has a switch on top of the wall above the tunnel but you also put a monster at the end of the tunnel, shooting the monster from inside the tunnel will activate the switch?

Yes.

SavageCorona said:

I'm pretty sure you can activate shootable switches with projectiles in ZDoom maps but not any others which are closer to the original Doom.

In ZDoom based ports, projectiles actually do trigger G1/GR linedefs just as well as hitscans, regardless of map format. Try it in Doom 2 MAP18, type IDKFA to get a plasmagun and fire onto the switch in the start room. In non-ZDoom ports, only hitscans will work.

So it's basically the opposite of Nitemare 3D, which had destructible walls that could be detonated by the 3 projectile weapons but not by the 1 hitscan pistol weapon.

Da Werecat said:

Vanilla Doom has a hilariously limited set of shootable triggers.

24 G1 Raise to lowest ceiling is all you need. Destructible walls baby!

MetroidJunkie said:

So it's basically the opposite of Nitemare 3D, which had destructible walls that could be detonated by the 3 projectile weapons but not by the 1 hitscan pistol weapon.

This kind of makes sense given context. A piddly little bullet is less likely to blow up a wall than a rocket.

The engine roots between Ultimate doom and doom 2 are so close.
That when you type IDMUS00 in doom2, it'll try to play D_INTROA (found in ultimate doom only) but since there's no D_INTROA in doom2, vanilla and chocolate doom will crash.
The lost souls in ultimate doom don't count as kills in the intermission screen even through ultimate doom countains no pain elementals, making ultimate doom(or the before doom2 game called "doom") predict pain elementals.

SavageCorona said:

This kind of makes sense given context. A piddly little bullet is less likely to blow up a wall than a rocket.

More like plasma and wand magic but same difference. XD

SavageCorona said:

To be fair you're not really going to waste a rocket or plasma shot on a shootable switch any time over a pistol shot.

Yeah, but there can be circumstances where you only have projectiles and no hitscan ammo. It also makes it less attractive for trying to build destructive scenery.

Ultimate doom & Doom 2 look like the same

The super shotgun is just the shotgun but shoots more shots.

You can rape imps

ITT: Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 look the same and have really similar engines! I've been lied to all these years! :(