Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

hex11 said:

He's basically right though. Someone can conceivably play for many years with just some random version of those ports. In fact, I did just that several years ago when I was stuck using a very poor wifi network (oftentimes just browsing a simple site like this one in Lynx timed out, or downloaded partial page only). I even ended up running the same release of OpenBSD for several years, because it was too much trouble to upgrade everything. Not like someone would hack my unpatched old system anyway, given those network conditions.

When things like Deus Vult II were released you had to upgrade prboom+ often to enjoy the most out of them. Also OS/hardware-related updates are bound to happen at some point. All of this is not a common occurence and those who are advanced users and need to be on the lookout are far and between, but "never" isn't true.

In Doom 64 EX, the Cyberdemon's last rocket is not aimed at the player's anticipated position unlike the real Doom64 game.

^^ I know about this one for quite a while. This easter egg is kinda creepy, really..

Didn't know about MAP03 backpack until I read the "Hard to find secrets" thread. Amazing! And after all these years of replaying Doom II :O

I've been casually replaying E2M5 when suddenly this squid guy on the wall hurt me when i came too close to him.. Yeah, looks like somebody put a damage floor over there.. and now i'm kind of scared to come too close to those murals..

ChekaAgent said:

I've been casually replaying E2M5 when suddenly this squid guy on the wall hurt me when i came too close to him.. Yeah, looks like somebody put a damage floor over there.. and now i'm kind of scared to come too close to those murals..
http://i.imgur.com/d6wJQ26.jpg

The face of the "squid guy" is actually that of an arch-vile, which is funny since the arch-vile doesn't appear until Doom 2.

T-Rex said:

The face of the "squid guy" is actually that of an arch-vile, which is funny since the arch-vile doesn't appear until Doom 2.

Looks like they were hinting at DOOM II, eh?

Actually yeah, he looks like an arch-vile, but in Doom 2 arch-vile moves so fast that you can't really see his face, and i always thought that he's faceless..

Guest Unregistered account

Well, Romero confirmed that it is indeed the ArchVile in a Facebook post.

T-Rex said:

Right, and as far as I'm concerned, this is some shrine to an elder god. Hanging around there too long can be harmful.

Doom 2, Plutonia and Evilution all use the same song on Map23, but for some reason I don't remember any megawads with custom music that do the same. Strange, I thought it was a cute tradition when I noticed it as a kid.

ChekaAgent said:

I've been casually replaying E2M5 when suddenly this squid guy on the wall hurt me when i came too close to him.

I'm impressed it took you so long, I always get stung in that area even though I know it's there. :-/

Your chaingun uses the same sound sample as the pistol but the chaingunners use the shotgun firing sample. I don't know how I haven't noticed this before.

Crunchynut44 said:

Your chaingun uses the same sound sample as the pistol but the chaingunners use the shotgun firing sample. I don't know how I haven't noticed this before.

My theory has always been that they did this because if they used the standard pistol shot sound effect, it would sound weird because they fire more slowly than the player's chaingun.

My theory is they used shotgun sounds to show how dangerous chaingunner actually is, so that players wouldn't underestimate..

Upd: speaking of chaingunner, it took me a long while to notice, that they actually shoot slower than the player's chaingun.

I always thought the rapid-fire shotgun sound for the Chaingunners was so the player can identify them if they're being shot at off-screen and it doesn't get mixed in with their own chaingun fire if they're using it.
That and it also helps to represent the high level threat and amounts of damage they can cause.

I've always thought that it was because the Spider Mastermind uses the shotgun guy sound effect and they just copied her functions for the chaingunner and just reduced the number of hitscans to 1. The inconsistency with the sound was probably noticed soon after, but for various reasons ( like the ones you guys mentioned ) they decided it was a better fit and kept it.

@Arctangent: There might be something to it, because looking at the code, it's like CPosAttack (chaingunner's attack) has its first half copied from SPosAttack (shotgunguy's attack) and its second half from PosAttack (zombieman's attack).

Spoiler

void A_PosAttack (mobj_t* actor)
{
    int		angle;
    int		damage;
    int		slope;

if (!actor->target)
	return;

A_FaceTarget (actor);
    angle = actor->angle;
    slope = P_AimLineAttack (actor, angle, MISSILERANGE);

S_StartSound (actor, sfx_pistol);
    angle += (P_Random()-P_Random())<<20;
    damage = ((P_Random()%5)+1)*3;
    P_LineAttack (actor, angle, MISSILERANGE, slope, damage);
}

void A_SPosAttack (mobj_t* actor)
{
    int		i;
    int		angle;
    int		bangle;
    int		damage;
    int		slope;

if (!actor->target)
	return;

S_StartSound (actor, sfx_shotgn);
    A_FaceTarget (actor);
    bangle = actor->angle;
    slope = P_AimLineAttack (actor, bangle, MISSILERANGE);

for (i=0 ; i<3 ; i++)
    {
	angle = bangle + ((P_Random()-P_Random())<<20);
    }
}

void A_CPosAttack (mobj_t* actor)
{
    int		angle;
    int		bangle;
    int		damage;
    int		slope;

if (!actor->target)
	return;

S_StartSound (actor, sfx_shotgn);
    A_FaceTarget (actor);
    bangle = actor->angle;
    slope = P_AimLineAttack (actor, bangle, MISSILERANGE);

angle = bangle + ((P_Random()-P_Random())<<20);
}

kuchitsu said:

Doom 2, Plutonia and Evilution all use the same song on Map23, but for some reason I don't remember any megawads with custom music that do the same. Strange, I thought it was a cute tradition when I noticed it as a kid.

Everyone loves that one Alice In Chains song.

scifista42 said:

@Arctangent: There might be something to it, because looking at the code, it's like CPosAttack (chaingunner's attack) has its first half copied from SPosAttack (shotgunguy's attack) and its second half from PosAttack (zombieman's attack).

Actually, it looks more like they copied the A_SPosAttack entirely, then stripped it of its for-related stuff ( note the fact that it actually uses bangle, despite not really needing to )

I noticed it when I had some obsession with this map. So I made it smile for some homage I did a while ago. And stand on a pirate boat.

I was always curious why they didn't just copy the zombieman's attack and alter the sound. It's already functionally identical. Maybe they wanted it to be different in some way, like shooting 2 hitscans, but then decided against it?

MrSkeltal said:

I always thought the rapid-fire shotgun sound for the Chaingunners was so the player can identify them if they're being shot at off-screen and it doesn't get mixed in with their own chaingun fire if they're using it.
That and it also helps to represent the high level threat and amounts of damage they can cause.

Not to mention, having the shotgun noise rapidfire just makes it sound meatier. Albeit, it's kind of weird for them to have such a meaty sounding chaingun and then you get it and it's just normal. XD