Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

rdwpa: Interesting. I knew about some of the fudge, but not all of it. Read some of Linguica's Doom Movement Bible and came across the part where he talks about the movement being a bit wonky even if you go straight.

So I made a level that is the entire length of the possible space long to see how much the player veers off over that distance. When going north that turns out to be around -26.

Another thing I just noticed doing this (which I am sure is known as well of course), is that at the edges of the map space you wrap around. I did another quick test level with 2 rooms at identical sides of the map space, and you can cross over, even if they are 1 unit away from the outermost limit on either side.

And if there is nothing on the other side, you just go into the void.

Doom is weird, and I love it.

Wtf is squeeze glide, skip glide and wobble glide. You don't just come in, ignore the publically accepted terms and introduce new ones. And that was put on the wiki?

WOW! LOOK AT THOSE DEMON FEET.

This message popped up while I was playing Doom 64 EX, to be more specific after I got fried by a Mancubus, who after killing me got hit by a Hell Knight's fireball. The players pov was tracking the Mancubus as it engaged infighting with the Hell Knight and I wanted to watch it play out, and the message popped up. It was followed by I PLAY DOOM AND I CAN'T GET UP and THANKS FOR PLAYING and TRY AN EASIER LEVEL...among others. It took a long time because the Mancubus was on a lower elevation, and the Knight on a higher position, so most of their projectiles was hitting the edge of the platform, eventually the Hell Knight won. lol.

rdwpa said:

Nice one. Felt kind of dirty linking to the wikia.

Actually trying to link to doom.wikia magically converts to doomwiki.

kuchitsu said:

Wtf is squeeze glide, skip glide and wobble glide. You don't just come in, ignore the publically accepted terms and introduce new ones. And that was put on the wiki?

Since no one had created an article about glides in 10 years, I felt justified making my own article reflecting my own research into Doom movement, with the expectation that other people would come along and passive aggressively complain about it edit it further.

On Map 07: Dead Simple, I just realized that the backpack you pick up is actually ten stacked on top of one another. After all this time, I just noticed the boosted ammunition. Hah.

Piper Maru said:

On Map 07: Dead Simple, I just realized that the backpack you pick up is actually ten stacked on top of one another. After all this time, I just noticed the boosted ammunition. Hah.

Heh

Linguica said:

Actually trying to link to doom.wikia magically converts to doomwiki.

Well played.

Piper Maru said:

Damn, never occurred to me either.

Piper Maru said:

This caused me a lot of fun when I was working on something in ZDoom that caused backpacks to stack.

I just found out that Boom-compatible ports(I I use PrBoom+) have extra cheatcodes, the kind I like to have (TNTEM)

plums said:

I just recently realized that the backpack in Dead Simple is actually 10 backpacks.

I remember noticing it the first time I ever played since the screen goes yellow for like 3-4 seconds in the vanilla exe. It's kinda strange how the message is only displayed once even though you get 10. I'm curious to check what it does in vanilla if you stack 10 items of a different type..

Doomkid said:

I'm curious to check what it does in vanilla if you stack 10 items of a different type..

Vanilla has only one message display line. A messages stays there until time out, or if another messages takes its place overriding it. If you pick up multiple items at once, only the message for the last one stays there to be read.

I recently learned that the weird grunting noise that the imps make when they die is actually a lower pitched camel grunt.

Doomworld related: i've just found out you can click on this thing and monitor what other people are doing..

I like to use that page, not to see what people do, but to see which threads are currently being replied to, so that I can quickly arrive to them after someone posts there to see the new post, especially if it's a thread where I've replied to before or which I'm interested in for some other reason.

"Someone is posting in the editing questions thread! They may be needing help! Quick, Robin, to the Answermobile!" :p

Lt. Shrub said:

I recently learned that the weird grunting noise that the imps make when they die is actually a lower pitched camel grunt.

Many of the zombie sounds are also camel grunts.

You can go into your user options and make yourself invisible, which I highly recommend. At one point I was going to mass-change all people's accounts to that and make them manually go un-invisible, but I was afraid scifista42 would self-harm.

I've just found out that Gargantua from Half-Life and the Arch-vile both have flame attacks, but it is the Shockwave Stomp attack that resembles Arch-vile's the most, as you are chased by a tiny red flame and you have to step aside to avoid the attack. another one of Gargantua's attack that resembles Mancubi attacks is the Fire Jet arms, but Gargantua's is more of a flamethrower and Mancubi are more like great balls o' fire, like Jerry Lee Lewis would sing :D

Just recently I fully noticed that the two tan-colored spots on the back of a Cacodemon turn blue when it's spitting a lightning ball.

I Just realized something, the Green eye decorative thing might be actually Satan's Security camera .

TNT09 has very ridiculous monster placement. Wtf is that horde spam, seriously. :D I now see it as one of the strangest iwad maps.

If you're running low on ammo, you can summon: shell, clip, cell, but don't summon rocket unless you're aiming at something outside of a blast radius. Is there a way to summon one single shell of a rocket?

BluePineapple72 said:

I just leaned realized that no one has actually one doom 2 because no one has killed Romero yet

You might enjoy Catcher in the Rye, if you haven't read it yet.