Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

lil'devil said:

I just realised that monsters' projectiles can pass through any decorations, no matter if the decoration is passable or not. But lost souls on other hand are blocked by everything, even passable decorations.

Most decorations have a very short hitbox (apart from the naked hanging corpses from Doom2 which block all projectiles) and those short hitboxes actually block the projectiles.
Lost souls are blocked by any 'thing', even ammo and health.

Two movies were released the same year as Doom 2016 -- The Revenant and The BFG and neither of them are about Doom.

Moments ago I was playing Geryon on The PSX Final Doom TC and I gibbed a zombieman with a single shotgun blast. Needless to say I laughed out so loud, I think I startled the neighbors.

Today I discovered just how effective GZDoom Builder's Sidedef compression is.

It took my map of 72,000 sidedefs down to just 31,000! I was worried it would only be a few % of compression, I guess I needn't have been concerned!

40oz said:

Two movies were released the same year as Doom 2016 -- The Revenant and The BFG and neither of them are about Doom.

That's hilarious!

Bauul said:

Today I discovered just how effective GZDoom Builder's Sidedef compression is.
It took my map of 72,000 sidedefs down to just 31,000! I was worried it would only be a few % of compression, I guess I needn't have been concerned!

Thus saving an amount of disc space worth what tiny percentage of a penny?

damerell said:

Huh. I sit corrected.

Exactly this. My map is bouncing along the absolute limits of the vanilla Doom map format. It needs to be run in a limit removing source port, compiled using a NodeBuilder that supports Extended Nodes, and GZDoom Builder to compress the Sidedefs to just about squeeze it into something that'll run.

I'm very relieved it turns out that the latter compression is pretty damn amazing!

As long as you have sidedefs that are exactly the same, all but one can be removed. The others are all made to reference that one remaining sidedef.

roadworx said:

damn, you're lucky. nearly nobody important lives around my area :p

Living in South Bay in California means I live near most of the id software guys.

John Romero does something at UC Santa Cruz. Facebook owns Oculus so John Carmack is involved. And also LootDrop is somewhere in the area and I think Tom Hall works on that with John Romero.

Maybe I can run into them someday...

Most decorations like lamps and trees allow projectiles to pass through, but if you shoot from a floor 16 units lower, it will actually collide. Does this mean that if I changed all decor to its proper height in dehacked (roughly 56 units for most) that the projectiles will explode on contact even in vanilla?

(I discovered this in a DM a few months ago where shooting a flaming barrel with the BFG was racking up loads of presumably unintended frags.. It was that half circle Dwango 5 map with the Last MIDI by NIN. That map was always a BFG spam fest, but after finding this it's become even spammier!)

I can proudly say I just finished reading this entire thread over the last 3 weeks or so.

Back on topic.

I'd always hide behind decorations when fighting some monsters and just use hitscan weapons like the supershotgun.

Makes it hilariously easy to kill a cyberdemon out in the open on some maps.

But wait are you saying the monster projectiles shouldn't be blocked? I mostly play with zdoom nowadays.

Yea, the projectiles would hit/explode on the decorations. Blocking hitscan would require them to be damageable.. maybe if they have some really high amount of health, they'd probably survive...

Brutal DooM has destroyable trees and such which actually make this harder.

I can't help but like Brutal DooM nowadays. It has all the things I like from modern FPSes while keeping DooM itself intact. I occasionally replay random maps with it on.

Another fun thing is to generate levels with OBLIGE and play with Brutal DooM on since it doesn't ruin the experience due to it not interfering with other mods. And then play it like a Roguelike with permadeath. If I die I start all over. Makes for some very tense moments. Playing that way without Brutal DooM is a cakewalk since I'm too good if I do say so myself.

I could even use my programming skills some time to create something that combines Oblige with any Zdoom to create a roguelike experience of some sort.

Just realised that lost soul's thing size is 32x56, same as player's. Why couldn't the devs give it smaller, more appropriate size?
The problem is that you can't put it in a small alcove (with 32x32x32 size, for example) without it getting stuck. :(

joe-ilya said:

Even the intro riff?

TBQH, I always found the E1M5 initial riff to sound quite similar to the one in "Captured"

There's a big difference between "I feel this sounds similar to that" and "this is definitely copied from that". Without any proof that Bobby Prince even listened to anything from Holocaust, it's hard to claim "The Small Hours" was a definite inspiration. As the article I have linked shows, there are a number of albums which are definite inspirations, and a few that are considered very likely because the resemblance goes much beyond "the intro riff kinda sounds the same, sorta". And a riff that's only two notes is definitely too trivial to need inspiration. It's not even the same notes or tempo, "The Small Hours" is slower and more dissonant... Maes' find is closer on the money for similarity, and it's even less likely to have been an actual inspiration.

If you touch blockmap block's border (with .000000 coordinate), you can preserve your momentum without 14.5 cap, even north or east. An example of this is doom2.wad MAP20 linedef 438.

lil'devil said:

Just realised that lost soul's thing size is 32x56, same as player's. Why couldn't the devs give it smaller, more appropriate size?
The problem is that you can't put it in a small alcove (with 32x32x32 size, for example) without it getting stuck. :(

DeHackEd it !