Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

@42PercentHealth FWIW they are LMPC directives, LMPC being a venerable but not widely known program that can compile/decompile a demo into a text format. It uses two letter + number codes to describe tic properties, so you have SRn or SLn.

For some reason the terms for moving right have transcended from their niche in demo hacking and analysis to become generic terms used by players across the community for the two speeds of straferunning. Maybe because the word strafe has an R in it so SR looks like an abbreviation. But as I usually straferun left, SR50 makes no sense for me :)

In contrast the directives for forward/backward motion, turning, or attack/use presses are used infrequently enough that I can never remember them and always have to go look them up.

3 minutes ago, RjY said:

For some reason the terms for moving right have transcended from their niche in demo hacking and analysis to become generic terms used by players across the community for the two speeds of straferunning. Maybe because the word strafe has an R in it so SR looks like an abbreviation. But as I usually straferun left, SR50 makes no sense for me :)

I guess I assumed "SR" stood for "Strafe Run," which makes sense no matter which lateral key is used.

Thanks for the info! Interesting stuff...

1 hour ago, RjY said:

My assumption would be simply that "SR" works as an abbreviation of "strafe running" so it's a much better generic term than "SL" ("strafe loafing"?) :p

No I think that's quite appropriate -- Strafe Loafing would be a good description of most of my demos ;)

22 minutes ago, Averagewalrus23.9 said:

Just learned that the berserk power up lasts the whole level. 

Or until you die, whichever is first.

To explain what I meant: In coop, if you die, the game isn't over. You respawn. but without berserk.

It just dawned on me that if you were talking about single-player, then what I said sounds kind of dumb.

8 hours ago, Averagewalrus23.9 said:

7 hours ago, Empyre said:

Or until you die, whichever is first.

Or until 4 years pass in game time and the berserk tic counter overflows back to zero and stays there.

9 hours ago, Empyre said:

To explain what I meant: In coop, if you die, the game isn't over. You respawn. but without berserk.

It just dawned on me that if you were talking about single-player, then what I said sounds kind of dumb.

It still applies, in ports that give you a resurrect cheat, like ZDoom.

10 hours ago, Averagewalrus23.9 said:

Reminds me of the Risen3D programmer who "fixed" this "bug" when he found it. That was actually quite hilarious...:D

^ heh

I just found out that Doom 2 came out before Heretic... I knew they came out the same year but for some reason I thought Heretic was a couple months before Doom 2... Well, guess I can no longer say "Heretic invented the revenant" kek. Also, that makes the Heretic-Doom1 comparison a bit more of a stretch >.<

14 minutes ago, axdoomer said:

1. The Arachnotron can keep shooting at a dead monster's corpse.

No. He calls A_SpidRefire after every shot, and it forces him to enter See state when his target is dead. The refire randomization can make him fire a couple more shots, but that's it. Unless you're playing in a source port with such a random number generator that keeps giving the same or very similar numbers repeatedly for a long time. The vanilla RNG doesn't do this.

Edited by scifista42

13 minutes ago, axdoomer said:

1. The Arachnotron can keep shooting at a dead monster's corpse. 

You mean the 10/256 chance to ignore target's death (or loss of line of sight) in A_SpidRefire? Thus same for spiderdemons, and also chaingunners/wolfSS (except chance is 40/256 for the latter)

Edit: never mind, I need to learn to post faster

I've seen it in NUTS.WAD a few times, but I was never able to reproduce it elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, axdoomer said:

Sorry for the double post. 

Here's a video of what I am talking about:

That looks like regular infighting. The arachnotron has been aggravated by some other monster which has now stopped moving but its line of fire is blocked by another arachnotron which does not feel the plasma hitting it. End result, it'll sit there forever, firing at something it can see but never hit.

@RjY You're right. I just modified my source port so I could move around when dead and I saw this. I thought I had discovered a new bug. 

Guest Unregistered account

Okay I don't know if I'm crazy or something but I was testing the download link for my WAD on Doomworld (THANKS RDWPA AND NIH), and I got killed by a Cyberdemon while it was on low health... and I SWEAR my view was flung into the air and I heard the Heretic player gibbing sound.

...There's no Heretic support for PrBoom, is there?

I don't know why this feature was added in PrBoom+, but yeah, it exists. It's disabled during demo recording, IIRC.

Guest Unregistered account

Wait, seriously? So... I'm not imagining things?

I wonder why it exists... it's so bizarre. The only thing it did was make me sit there looking at my laptop for like a minute wondering if I was mad.

10 minutes ago, Kapanyo said:

...There's no Heretic support for PrBoom, is there?

There is when you're Lutz. But only when you're Lutz.

That GBA Doom 2 have a bug with STKEYS graphics(or how they named?)

Doom_2_1495385385475.png

Doom_2_1495385392777.png

Also I got weird bug on map10(if you move from this place,bug will gone instantly)

Doom_2_1493889209002.png

Doom_2_1493889212696.png

I found this wrongly placed cell pack on map11

Doom_2_1495094758545.png

Edited by D1m3

8 minutes ago, D1m3 said:

That GBA Doom 2 have a bug with STKEYS graphics(or how they named?)

PIcking up the key gave you two rockets..? Oh wait, no, I see it, the blue card on the status bar turned into a skull.

3 hours ago, RjY said:

PIcking up the key gave you two rockets..? Oh wait, no, I see it, the blue card on the status bar turned into a skull.

No, he picked up a Yellow Skull where a Yellow Key should have been.

26 minutes ago, DoctorGenesis said:

No, he picked up a Yellow Skull where a Yellow Key should have been.

I think you are mistaken; I checked doom2.wad, which has a yellow skull there. There is also a rocket launcher that I forgot about, which explains the extra two rockets (unseen in the first shot as he's standing too close to it).

17 hours ago, rdwpa said:

- This monster never warped in. Looking at the map in the editor, these monsters aren't connected by sound and teleport in with just scrolling effects, which causes the problem here: cacodemons (and flying monsters in general) aren't affected by conventional scrolling floors* in Boom format. Another potential problem is that these scroller setups don't loop, meaning that if a destination is blocked when a monster tries to warp in, that monster will never appear in the map. In casual singleplayer play that would be a very minor problem, but it could add some undesirable RNG to max routes, since there is some incentive to leave monsters alive: hell knights until the RL/SSG are available, for one thing. 

*I did a bit of research, and apparently you can use the deep water effect to move the cacodemon that way. 

I never knew deep water could be used to move flying monsters via scrollers; that's awesome!