Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

3 hours ago, Red said:

I'm messing with Doom Builder 2 for the first time and I just found out there's a Commander Keen "enemy" you can kill.

Doom2, map32. Try it out! :P

2 hours ago, Voros said:

E3M3 has a water flat as the ceiling of a room.

How did I miss that?

There's also map 24 of Doom 2 -- the pinky room has a water ceiling.

Plutonia Map01:

The trap where the Arch-vile is released in the SSG room (with all the crates) is a damaging sector. When up on top of the crates, a crate below is lowered from the ceiling, releasing the Arch-vile. If you stand on this crate while lowered (you can lower it more than once if needed), you'll take 20% damage.

Plutonia Map04:

The red teleporter at the end takes you to an area where you can get an Energy Cell Pack (in the Yellow Door room with the Barons of Hell). Thought all this time it'd take you back to the center of the map or something. Usually at that time too you ignore it since you're on your way out and going through the silver teleporter.

I only recently found out that you can get tutti-frutti floor flats. Granted, this was in ZDaemon, playing SF 2013, MAP08 (sorry no screenie ATM), but in theory nothing prevents getting them in vanilla too. Only that I never actually saw them in even the shittiest 1994 PWAD.

I just found out about the blue armor and platform-raising secrets in E4M2 today. Turns out I could've been making that map a lot easier.

Also learned you can just run up and grab the yellow key in Plutonia Map10, skipping more than half the level. Did that the other day by accident, then felt bad and went back and played the level properly.

14 minutes ago, Cipher said:

Also learned you can just run up and grab the yellow key in Plutonia Map10, skipping more than half the level. Did that the other day by accident, then felt bad and went back and played the level properly.

WTF, can't hack being a 1337 fux0r  h4xx0r c0mp3t1t1v3 sp33drunn3r?! Shame on you.

8 minutes ago, Maes said:

WTF, can't hack being a 1337 fux0r  h4xx0r c0mp3t1t1v3 sp33drunn3r?! Shame on you.

Ha, well, there are those who play Doom to speedrun it, and those who play Doom because they like figuring/executing their way out of hard levels in a more casual fashion. In my case, the early key grab is denying me the part of the game I enjoy. (Also because it's my first time playing the iwad on UV, and I didn't want to cheese my way out of major obstacles that hard.)

I did find out about the early red key grab through the window afterward though, because I was so weirded out you could just casually grab the yellow key that I looked it up, and that's some shit. You barely have to play Plutonia Map10 at all.

(I know your post was a joke, but it did get me thinking about how different peoples' goals can be when playing through the games.)

Don't know it this counts as suitable for this thread? Oh well. :P

There's a hole in Maes' cyber-butt on a specific frame.

vkg6qob.png

The archvile can switch targets mid-attack, and he can also hit you while his back is turned

14 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

vkg6qob.png

8 hours ago, scifista42 said:

And the hole is not there in the actual Doom graphic as found inside Doom2.wad.

ok, this is just getting creepy...you guys are studying demon butts a little bit too much... ;)

On Plutonia MAP01, there's a crate that lowers from the ceiling, like a lift, to free an Arch-Vile when you pickup the SSG. Normally, you wouldn't step on the crate before it raises because you don't want to be in the Arch-Vile's line of sight, but if you do, then you will be stuck in the ceiling. There is no switch to get out of here, but the floor will hurt you like nukage, although it's a crate.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:45 PM, axdoomer said:

On Plutonia MAP01, there's a crate that lowers from the ceiling, like a lift, to free an Arch-Vile when you pickup the SSG. Normally, you wouldn't step on the crate before it raises because you don't want to be in the Arch-Vile's line of sight, but if you do, then you will be stuck in the ceiling. There is no switch to get out of here, but the floor will hurt you like nukage, although it's a crate.

lol, just posted this a couple of posts back. I Immediately ran off the crate as soon as it started hurting me. Didn't know you'd get stuck up top if you stayed on it, though.

17 minutes ago, peach freak said:

lol, just posted this a couple of posts back. I Immediately ran off the crate as soon as it started hurting me. Didn't know you'd get stuck up top if you stayed on it, though.

You're right. It's even on the same page. I didn't even read.

5 hours ago, axdoomer said:

You're right. It's even on the same page. I didn't even read.

No biggie, I bolted off the crate when I found it doing 20% damage! Didn't occur to me to just turn IDDQD on, lol.

DMX in OPL3 mode can use every single one of these waveforms:

OPL_waveforms.png

Since the beginning, I assumed only 1-4 could be used. This is not the case. This is because DMX sends exactly what it sees to the OPL* chip, with no checks to make sure if the chip can support the waveform or not.

I had been working on my GENMIDI patch under the assumption that Vanilla Doom didn't support those waveforms. Now that I know it can, this opens up a lot of things I've been wanting to do before, but assumed myself limited to the first four.

We can actually have square waves and sawtooth waves! Percussion in DMXOPL is about to get 1000x better.

Here's another one that I discovered while exploring Plutonia's maps.

On map 16, if you fall into the exit room's pit, you can't escape it. It's a nukage pit, but I won't damage you. It's hard to mess up in this room, all you have to do when you teleport into this room is to walk forward to exit.

On 8/16/2017 at 6:38 AM, Dragonfly said:

vkg6qob.png

Potential weak-spot?

On 8/16/2017 at 5:38 AM, Dragonfly said:

vkg6qob.png

Despite the fact your post was literally about the dot, I still fucking tried to wipe it off my screen.

FFS.

In the main water-flooded area in MAP03 of Doom 2, the 2 Spectres on easy difficulty are initially turned away from the player, and one of the 2 Spectres on higher difficulties is turned into a corner where he'd never see the player if the player didn't wake him up by shooting or approaching him too closely.