Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

On 17/08/2017 at 1:21 AM, Jthom said:

The archvile can switch targets mid-attack, and he can also hit you while his back is turned

Indeed, and the fire doesn't move off the original target, so unless you sight the monster, you have no idea what's happened until your screen turns red and you're six feet in the air.

Many other monsters "shoot from their butt" if they rotate to fire but quickly get a new target before the firing itself ends, most easily seen on the baron (and maybe cyber).

55 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Cyber can't fire out of his butt. It's the lesser goats' exclusive right.

...cause it's the only monster that doesn't call A_FaceTarget in the frame before the firing frame, right?

^ No, it's not because of calling A_FaceTarget in frames that come before the frame that has the attack codepointer, it's because all monster attack codepointers call A_FaceTarget within themselves, except A_BruisAttack, which is used by the Hell Knight and Baron of Hell. The problem with this codepointer could be fixed by calling A_FaceTarget on a frame with zero duration right before the frame with A_BruisAttack, but the stock monsters use a non-zero duration and the problem happens if the monster switches target during this non-zero delay. With other monsters, even if the monster switches target during the delay before the attack codepointer, the attack codepointer itself will cause the monster to turn towards its actual target at the same time as it fires, so there will be no problem.

Edited by scifista42

11 hours ago, scifista42 said:

^ No, it's not because of calling A_FaceTarget in frames that come before the frame that has the attack codepointer, it's because all monster attack codepointers call A_FaceTarget within themselves, except A_BruisAttack, which is used by the Hell Knight and Baron of Hell. The problem with this codepointer could be fixed by calling A_FaceTarget on a frame with zero duration right before the frame with A_BruisAttack, but the stock monsters use a non-zero duration and the problem happens if the monster switches target during this non-zero delay. With other monsters, even if the monster switches target during the delay before the attack codepointer, the attack codepointer itself will cause the monster to turn towards its actual target at the same time as it fires, so there will be no problem.

Ah, very interesting! I guess I never paid attention to that detail. Yep, both Hell Knight and Baron of Hell actually do call A_FaceTarget, right before the firing frame, but not within the Attack codepointer itself (which is what you said), and, yes, that is unique to them.

Some would call this a bug, and, maybe technically it is, but I think it adds a bit of variety, which provides that little bit of extra depth to the game. There's typically something unique and interesting about most every Doom monster (Identifying those would make for a nice Doom General thread, no?).

I just found out that Shareware Doom has more wall textures than all of Heretic :O

In PRBoom+, if you launch Ultimate Doom after playing Doom 2, and have the complevel set to Doom 2 v1.9, E4 is no visible from the Episode Selection menu nor can you warp to any of its maps with idclev. Changing the complevel to Ultimate Doom fixes that.

You can reset the timer of a 30 second door by trying to open it with a DR action (and maybe other actions as well?). Perhaps this is useful in some traps where you want the door to stay shut?

Attaching a demo where a 30 second door stays closed for over 2 minutes. Plays on E1M3 of Debut.

30door-reset.zip

In the Doom 2 manual, the info for the Revenant is something about dead demons being patched up and turned into Revenants. For the longest time I thought this meant Revenant's could revive dead Pinkies (since they were referred to as Demon in the manual) and turn them into Revenants. I tried for a while to get a Revenant to revive a Pinky but it never worked. I don't know how long it was until I realized I just misunderstood the manual, but it wasn't back in the 90s

DMX's OPL support is broken. WAY broken. Certain note values for percussion exhibit incorrect harmonics in ways I can't quite figure out. Not sure if it's velocity, or some of the note values being "88"... I'm shadowboxing this "bug" that doesn't show up in the DMXOPL patch proper, but shows up when used in Vanilla or even source ports.

If source port authors, when they implement OPL emulation, could fix this, I would love said persons forever.

That's strange, since there's no way actual DMX code is used in source ports.

Capital letters and small letters are important when running a wad, say you type "hellbnd.wad" instead of "Hellbnd.wad", the wad will still run but if you saved in "Hellbnd.wad", it will not load when "hellbnd.wad". Obviously I just found out this.

5 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Capital letters and small letters are important when running a wad, say you type "hellbnd.wad" instead of "Hellbnd.wad", the wad will still run but if you saved in "Hellbnd.wad", it will not load when "hellbnd.wad". Obviously I just found out this.

i dragging the wad to exe and i no need to worry about saves

7 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

What are you talking about? Are you on desktop Linux or something? What port are you using? This seems highly inconsistent. Obviously that should not matter on Windows or DOSBox. Or even macOS or Android (unless the rule is not consistent there). If it does, then it's a bug in the port.

2 hours ago, printz said:

What are you talking about? Are you on desktop Linux or something? What port are you using? This seems highly inconsistent. Obviously that should not matter on Windows or DOSBox. Or even macOS or Android (unless the rule is not consistent there). If it does, then it's a bug in the port.

Windows 7, Crispy Doom 4.1, should I report it?  

It seems too odd, as Windows doesn't distinguish between capital and non-capital letters in filenames at all. If I were you, I'd first double-check that the problem really works the way you describe, and wasn't caused by a mere typo or something like that.

26 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

It seems too odd, as Windows doesn't distinguish between capital and non-capital letters in filenames at all. If I were you, I'd first double-check that the problem really works the way you describe, and wasn't caused by a mere typo or something like that.

Well, the truth is that modern Windows kinda distinguish, making them an "almost" case-insensitive OS, but not always. It's actually a hybrid situation, with the NTFS filesystem being fully case-sensitive, but the OS facilities themselves and a lot of software, still function in the old DOS case-insensitive way.

Even with plain old FAT, it was possible to create mixed-case filenames by using hacks/directly editing the FAT table. However, when you presented various software with such sneakily crafted file tables, well, YMMV, and results could be undefined. E.g. if you somehow created NTFS entries for both "Hellbnd.wad" and "hellbnd.wad" in the same folder (itself a perfectly legal condition on a NTFS file system), and asked a software to load "HELLBND.WAD", then according to old file access rules there should have been only one equivalent mixed-case representation, and the outcome will be undefined (unless the software is super-smart and can get around this).

A fully POSIX-complliant software would refuse loading either file. An oldschool Windows or DOS one might load either of them in an unpredictable order or throw an error. Certainly, not an ideal situation.

Then again...

https://superuser.com/questions/266110/how-do-you-make-windows-7-fully-case-sensitive-with-respect-to-the-filesystem

Edited by Maes

@scifista42 Checked, it still happens in Crispy. If I type "hellbnd.wad" instead of "Hellbnd.wad" and load a state, this happens:

orwehrouewhroweu.png.8f65259d3e162ec64b9bcdb41c33adc3.png

In Pr/GlBoom+ the savestate seems to load correctly however the .wad file was written. 

21 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

@scifista42 Checked, it still happens in Crispy. If I type "hellbnd.wad" instead of "Hellbnd.wad" and load a state, this happens:

What happens is that Crispy realizes that the PWAD that was loaded when you saved the game has a different filename than the one that is loaded now that you want to restore that savegame, so it asks for confirmation first. However, if you confirm this message, everything should work as expected and you could even re-save the game to update the filename check to the new spelling.

The hand scenario is one of the most memorable things in the Doom Bible. Somebody from the game dev team obviously read/remembered the Doom Bible and found the hand idea cool enough to include it in the new game. I don't think they went any further than that in taking inspiration from the Doom Bible, though.

Forgot about that - the movie is probably even more likely to be the direct source of inspiration for the Doom 2016 hand scenario.

Uh, I've played through the whole campaign...can someone remind me of where this "hand scenario" is in the new game? I must be having a brain fart.