Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

i assume they're talking about the part where you rip off a deceased UAC scientist's arm, and use their hand to get past the hand scanner.

42 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Uh, I've played through the whole campaign...can someone remind me of where this "hand scenario" is in the new game? I must be having a brain fart.

4 hours ago, DoomguyB said:

This could possibly be related to Doom 2016, the section where you have to collect an arm to scan the hand into a security console (if you've played it you know the part I'm talking about). The Doom Bible describes a similar scenario in section 7 where you have to collect a hand and use it to gain access to a laboratory. This idea obviously never made it into the original games, so perhaps they went back and took unused ideas from the original design document to implement into the reboot?

This idea can be found in Strife, where you have to use someone's hand that has been cut-off to unlock cells in a prison.

This is kind of a double iwad-related "just found out."

A few weeks back when I was finishing Plutonia for the first time, I precariously picked off the Cyberdemon at the end of Map 19, only to discover a teleporter had opened up next to me, which I assumed was there for a telefrag. (So that was what I thought I'd "just found out.")

I was replaying Map 19 from a pistol start tonight (turns out it's actually more fun that way; didn't think much of this one playing continuous), and I got to the end of the map, no saves, and was ready to ambush him with a telefrag as soon as he opened up. Turns out it's not a telefrag warp, or at least not a guaranteed one, so it popped me right into his cage and in a panic I managed to somehow do the only over Cyberdemon two-shoot with a BFG I've ever pulled off, thanks to the close quarters and the sheer luck of him not deciding to blast me. So that's what I just found out.

Turns out not all hidden warps near Cyberdemons are there for telefrags. Some are just there to troll you.

On lundi 11 septembre 2017 at 0:55 AM, axdoomer said:

This idea can be found in Strife, where you have to use someone's hand that has been cut-off to unlock cells in a prison.

This idea can be found in Strife, where you have to cut someone's hand off and then use it to unlock cells in a prison. :p

9 hours ago, Gez said:

This idea can be found in Strife, where you have to cut someone's hand off and then use it to unlock cells in a prison. :p

If you use your imagination, you're correct.

Watching Evolution of the WAD, many things popped up.

1) Mancubi projectiles can trigger lines (maybe not in modern ports anymore)

2) Another secret didn't know, in Suburbs in that room with faces you have to shoot. There was that face that opens the room with shotgun shells boxes and backpack. A lowering wall I would climb and from near the edge shoot the face that was hidden from another wall (which if you push then only the lower half went down, so I was like what's the point of that?). Pressing on a torch will also lift up the other half of that wall so that you have a better chance to hit the face.

3) One of the obvious things that I never thought but go through everyday and your mind takes as default without ever thinking it. Degrelessness. I somehow never thought what this word meaned, how weird it sounds, and my mind was ok I did IDDQD and so there is this god mode that maybe have other synonyms like degrelessness. And I kinda remembered that DQD was an imaginary fraternity some of the designers thought as they were dropouts. But I never made the connection. Degree-less-ness. There. Wow!

On 11/4/2011 at 3:32 AM, LigH said:

Doors and objects (e.g. switches) may require the possession of keys to be activated.

Sector movements can be activated not only by touching or shooting lines, but also by crossing them.

If you combine both, you can make lines which activate a sector only if you possess a key while passing them ... hooray, a key detector platform!

detector.th.jpg

Speed of DOOM - MAP06

And this was in vanilla? Because that is awesome.

On 9/24/2017 at 10:33 AM, DoomguyB said:

I didn't know that the design of the Cacodemon was inspired (quite heavily, by the looks of it!) by the Astral Dreadnought creature from Dungeons & Dragons.

Astral.jpg

I actually did a recreation of that image as my final project in my Printmaking class (the project that had you using a grid to recreate a smaller image in larger size using pastels) precisely because it looked a lot like the Caco, and the original image was on this little card thing. I wouldn't learn the actual name of the monster until a few years later when I got into D&D.

1 hour ago, Dravencour said:

And this was in vanilla? Because that is awesome.

58 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I'm pretty sure that's a feature introduced by Boom...

Indeed, there are no WR open locked door line specials in vanilla. They came in with Boom's generalised types.

7 minutes ago, RjY said:

Indeed, there are no WR open locked door line specials in vanilla. They came in with Boom's generalised types.

There were however key-activated "objects" since v1.9 -not found in existing Doom and Doom II maps, but used often in Ultimate and Final Doom., which were "born" with the v1.9 engine at full steam.

the stone texture w/ the moss in plutonia is animated.. it looks REALLY freaky actually, like its pulsing veins, gonna suck you in.

discovered whilst playing plutonia 2 tho

@Maes weird i dont remember anything like that

2 minutes ago, yuse said:

2 minutes ago, yuse said:

@Maes weird i dont remember anything like that

The earliest occurrence is a switch in E4M2 I think... ("You need a yellow key to activate this object.")

29 minutes ago, yuse said:

the stone texture w/ the moss in plutonia is animated.. it looks REALLY freaky actually, like its pulsing veins, gonna suck you in.

discovered whilst playing plutonia 2 tho

That's what Plutonia replaces Fireblu with. It only appears in one map, at the start of map02, so you'd be forgiven for not noticing it before playing other wads.

31 minutes ago, Maes said:

"You need a yellow key to activate this object."

Sadly despite the generic flavour of the message, they're all still just switches for doors. A little disappointing. Lifts or raise-and-change bridges that required keys might've been good.

When you're very young, you don't always understand puns. When I first started playing Doom, I thought the first three difficulties were fun little phrases, but "Ultra Violence" - that's kinda lame. 

Sometimes when you don't understand something the first time you see it, that has a way of sticking with you. I'm confident that if I had first seen "Ultra Violence" at 10 or 12, rather than at 6 or 7, I would have gotten the play on words. But as it is, I literally just realized it this year...

39 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

When you're very young, you don't always understand puns. When I first started playing Doom, I thought the first three difficulties were fun little phrases, but "Ultra Violence" - that's kinda lame. 

Sometimes when you don't understand something the first time you see it, that has a way of sticking with you. I'm confident that if I had first seen "Ultra Violence" at 10 or 12, rather than at 6 or 7, I would have gotten the play on words. But as it is, I literally just realized it this year...

It's not a pun.

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

Ultraviolence is a reference to the Anthony Burgess novel A Clockwork Orange, and is used by its psycho main character Alex in reference to the horrendous and violent acts he and his droogs would perform against others. Real horrorshow.

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I'm confident that if I had first seen "Ultra Violence" at 10 or 12, rather than at 6 or 7, I would have gotten the play on words.

Gonna go out on a limb here to say Ultra Violet based on age