Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

On 2018/2/28 at 4:54 PM, Novaseer said:

The death explosions from the Icon of Sin can harm and kill the player.

I found this out the hard way.

I remembered some PWADs used this as suicide exit(make the next level pistol start)...

If you die and slide to the exit, you'll complete the level, but start the next one with just a pistol. Could be useful if you want to strip a player's weapons I guess, lol

@Jthom damn, all those years i have no idea you can actually complete level even if you dead. Im curious, does speedruning accept this "way" to finnish the level or not?

1 hour ago, Jthom said:

If you die and slide to the exit, you'll complete the level, but start the next one with just a pistol. Could be useful if you want to strip a player's weapons I guess, lol

It happens numerous times in notable megawads such as Scythe II. :)

Yeah, I actually saw it in Scythe II, where the player gets crushed before the level ends. I guess I thought it required special scripting or a special event or something, in order to happen. Seems like a pretty cool way to end a level IMO. 

On 2/26/2018 at 11:44 PM, DELUXE said:

The pain elemental has the same arms as the imp.

Wow... I never noticed that. I knew the body was lifted entirely from the Cacodemon, and the eye appears to be a re-colored invisibility sphere, horns from the Cyberdemon... but I never noticed the arms were taken from the imp. Huh, learn something every day.

Edited by Jello : Removed quoted image.

Great frankensprite when you think about it. It makes me wish the Hell Knight was more than just a recolored Baron.

3 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

Great frankensprite when you think about it. It makes me wish the Hell Knight was more than just a recolored Baron.

I'm fine with that. Better than the D3/D2016 versions, for me anyway.

22 hours ago, Marlamir said:

@Jthom damn, all those years i have no idea you can actually complete level even if you dead. Im curious, does speedruning accept this "way" to finnish the level or not?

AFAIK, I believe it's "acceptable" because you're still actually finishing the level...

22 hours ago, Marlamir said:

Yes. For the most part -- old-school Compet-N convention forbade deaths in coop runs, although most modern runners that have an opinion about it think that is dumb.

On 2018/3/2 at 12:01 PM, joshthenesnerd said:

thanks to maes's userphoto i learned that there is a 1px hole (or gray spot) that disappears and reappears in the back of the cyberdemon sprite...... thanks @Maes ......

I think that dot was added by Maes?

On 9/23/2011 at 10:32 AM, SeanWJF said:

The Berserk pack lasts the whole level.

Quality of life significantly improved.

I found this out recently as well.  I rarely ever used the actual berserk effect because I suck at close quarters melee stuff.  So I always just looked at them as a 100% health boost.  Pick it up, automatically switch back to shotgun, lol.

4 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Yes. For the most part -- old-school Compet-N convention forbade deaths in coop runs, although most modern runners that have an opinion about it think that is dumb.

It is more nuanced than that - death exits are and were completely OK in coop. For instance, this was uncontroversially accepted as a Compet-n record in 2002: http://doomedsda.us/lmps/946/7/pc01-007.zip

What is not OK (unless the non-standard category "coop with deaths" is specified) is one player simply getting killed (e.g. early on in the level) and another later exiting. There are inevitably borderline cases where it gets a little messy.

On 2/26/2018 at 11:04 AM, Novaseer said:

That this room exists in Doom 2016. It's not even a secret.
(Res Ops, after the airlock with the Security in, to the right)

sincewhen.jpg

Just found out about this after doing a little backtracking, it was a welcome surprise.

playing Doom episode one on UV -respawn and not setting foot in any of the secrets is amazing and fun (assuming you're like me and prefer facing shotgunners to slaughter hordes)

it's weird to know a level so inside-out that you can pretend you don't know where any of the secrets are but then again, it's a virtue too =P

I just found out that changing languages in Doom 2016 not only changes the text, it changes the voices as well.

Hearing VEGA announcing things in Russian or Japanese is quite nice.

things about the /idgames/ upload process I just found out: teh automated submission text reader looks for the first instance of the word "title" and copies everything after it into that field, so if you accidentally left junk data in your .txt then the new name of your level set becomes something insane. :)))

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/ztheresa

is there anyway of fixing this so that the title is just "Theresa"? thanks, sorry to be annoying

In Doom 2 Map04: The sectors with the grey MIDSPACE texture are raised (action door open) when you pick up the blue key. I believe they share a similar tag to the IMPs that open on the side. Also In Doom 2 Map06, you can press use on the side of the red key door (DOORTRAK texture), the lines trigger the red door aswell.

Kudos to @JCD for noticing and sharing!

On 3/9/2018 at 4:32 AM, yakfak said:

is there anyway of fixing this so that the title is just "Theresa"? thanks, sorry to be annoying

Reupload with a corrected .txt file, probably. Maybe mention in your email that you just needed to update it.

I think doing that should just replace the existing file with one that has the correct .txt file.

One time in Brutal Doom a Hell Knight threw a dead Zombie-Man towards me...but it's a very rare occurrence that happens.

Nice find on the title screen background! I actually enjoyed Doom 3, but I think that's because I was too busy checking out the graphics. I had a friend over, and we would switch playing SP, and he was getting annoyed because I was spending too much time looking at the floor, checking out the shadows, etc. It started out great, but, yes, the rooms did start to look very same-y, and dark. The hell levels were a much needed surprise, and they were gorgeous. I think they should have added more resources (walls, floors, etc.) and made some marble rooms like Doom and Doom II, some more outside stuff (with a proper suit), caves, water blood and slime, and some more abstract stuff. But I suppose Doom 3 levels are very difficult to make, and they were probably pressured to finish. It's a shame - there was so much potential.

On 3/12/2018 at 1:02 PM, Ashley_Pomeroy said:

Room after identical room of the same trap over and over again, with void acting that's either cartoonish or really bland.

"Damn. Piece of equipment X was playing up today. The power keeps going out. But anyway the code for the weapon locker is 4236."

You just summed up D3 to a T.

If you'd ask me when does the BFG first appear in Doom 1, I somehow can't remember. Originally I was under the impression that all weapons appear since Episode 2, but no. First time it appears in E3M3. No BFG in E2 but there is plasma gun of course. Realized it after watching a video describing the 32X version. There is no BFG through out the game (because lot's of levels are missing and no episode 3 levels at all) but you could get it with the give all weapons cheat :)