Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

After watching a NM100S speedrun, I just found out you can lower the plasma gun lift on MAP05 just by pressing an unremarkable wall two rooms away instead of making the whole trip through the tunnels and rushing all the way from the room with the torches.

On 3/24/2018 at 11:37 AM, invictius said:

Deaths Bells' (tnt map 4) music is based off of Antarctica by Vangelis according to the wiki?

I honestly don't hear it.

On 3/24/2018 at 9:37 AM, invictius said:

Deaths Bells' (tnt map 4) music is based off of Antarctica by Vangelis according to the wiki?

27 minutes ago, Chewyninja69 said:

I honestly don't hear it.

It's based on Life of Antarctica.

16 minutes ago, Chewyninja69 said:

^^^I hear it now, only because I searched for Antarctica and not "Life of Antarctica"... my bad. I definitely hear it.

The wiki does say "Life of Antarctica".

I didn't realize until today that in E2 M2 (Containment Area) parts of the floor in the yellow key room are raised according to the pattern of the player's steps, as mirrored by the layout of the blue circles on the ceiling. I'd always managed to get the key previously, presumably by 'fluking' one or two raised sections and running over them. Didn't realize also that the yellow key isn't in fact needed to finish the level.

Edited by Summer Deep

On 3/25/2018 at 3:42 PM, Gez said:

The wiki does say "Life of Antarctica".

I was referring to invictus' comment, he said: 'Deaths Bells' (tnt map 4) music is based off of Antarctica by Vangelis according to the wiki?' So I had typed in only "Antarctica" into Google, and not "Life of Antarctica". 

On lundi 26 mars 2018 at 8:28 AM, Summer Deep said:

I didn't realize until today that in E2 M2 (Containment Area) parts of the floor in the yellow key room are raised according to the pattern of the player's steps, as mirrored by the layout of the blue circles on the ceiling.

Note that this puzzle is repeated in Doom II, in The Factory. Southeastern room in the main building. Also, it's a fragile setup.

9 hours ago, Gez said:

Note that this puzzle is repeated in Doom II, in The Factory. Southeastern room in the main building. Also, it's a fragile setup.

i knew it so far, but never considerd it to be a bug, i thought it was a little punishment for not going the right path.

I've been playing Doom for years, but only today I've discovered that this large column with vines on Refueling Base can actually be lowered and it'll reveal a chaingun in it (and some demons on higher difficulties). For some reason, it's not marked as a secret.

WYsXgPW.png

Edited by Redwind : Embedded the image into the post, instead of linking.

I knew about it for some time, but I didn't notice it wasn't a secret. Sandy Petersen was really inconsistent with marking things as secret, he'd make an unremarkable wall with a passage behind non-secret, and then he'd make a "secret" that consists of pressing a switch in plain sight and opening a passage right behind it.

On 4/4/2018 at 1:59 PM, Redwind said:

I've been playing Doom for years, but only today I've discovered that this large column with vines on Refueling Base can actually be lowered and it'll reveal a chaingun in it (and some demons on higher difficulties). For some reason, it's not marked as a secret.

That's my favorite Doom II level. No matter where you go, the monsters see you and come after you! Very awesome gameplay design. If you go further, you might notice a small sound-carrying tunnel near the ceiling.

13 minutes ago, kb1 said:

If you go further, you might notice a small sound-carrying tunnel near the ceiling.

Aren't those just control sectors for the flashing lights?

The texture SLIME1 from Plutonia has 2 unseen RW41_1 (green bricks) behind the wood textures. I wonder what were the Casali bros. trying to come up with that.

1 hour ago, RjY said:

Aren't those just control sectors for the flashing lights?

I'm not sure. I know they used sound carrying tunnels in some levels that looked similar in size and location. I just assumed that was their purpose in Map10. You've got me curious now!

Here's a bit of crossover with the "Things about Daikatana you just found out" thread (which sadly doesn't exist... yet): According to John Romero himself, the famed character of Superfly Johnson was specifically named after the famed Doom community member and eponymous owner of the famed Doom fan page, Abode of the SuperFly. And thrillingly enough, SuperFly is right here among us. Maybe.

@The SuperFly, did you know that you're the inspiration for a living legend?

This is more of a doom mod thing, but i just found out that the NUTS2.wad music that i like very much it's a remix from a c64 game called wizardry

Spoiler

On 4/6/2018 at 2:36 AM, Revenant100 said:

@The SuperFly, did you know that you're the inspiration for a living legend?

Unfortunately, that particular user hasn't visited since 2006, so the likelihood of ever finding out the answer (or whether it's the same Superfly) is low.

22 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

so the likelihood of ever finding out the answer (or whether it's the same Superfly) is low.

This is The SuperFly!

Anyway, I maintain that we should have faith in His return. After all, we can't leave this mystery unsolved without our buddy SuperFly.

I have discovered how slow crushing ceilings move. They go up and down at 1 map pixel per tic with a 1 tic pause at the top and 1 tic pause at the bottom, and their lowest ceiling height is 8 units above the floor.

Also, when a player (or monster 56 units high) gets in the way and the crusher goes slow all the way down, the time delay caused to its action is 7*47 = 329 tics, because for 48 map pixels it travels at 1/8th speed.

If I have two identical such crushers alongside each other of height 101 units, their repeating time period is 93 down, 1 tic pause, 93 up, 1 tic pause makes 188 tics.

If I interfere with one of them and get out of the way, causing a delay of 329 tics the crushers are now no longer in sync.

However, 188 = 4*47 and 329 = 7*47. Therefore if I interfere with the same crusher 4 times, I have delayed it by 4*7*47 tics, which is a multiple of 4*47, the repeating period. 

Therefore, after interfering with the same crusher on 4 separate occasions, the crushers are back in sync again. Go on, try it!

By burying the crushers in small holes in the floor (too small for the player to stand in) I can effectively make the player's interference happen at a greater height than 56 units above the crusher's floor, achieving more varied results. I just tested a level (link attached below) with two such crushers at floor minus 17 units going as high as 74 units. 

1) Load the map and give yourself invulnerability (makes it easier).

2) walk forward, setting off the crushers.

3) Get crushed under the one on the right, slowing it down, then get out of the way. The crushers are now out of sync by one third of a cycle exactly.

4) Repeat the previous step twice more and you will have restored the synchronisation of the crushers perfectly! 

Seriously, having maths and Doom come together like this is an awesome nerd-gasm for me. 

TryNewNumbers.zip

9 minutes ago, MathsDevil said:

Seriously, having maths and Doom come together like this is an awesome nerd-gasm for me. 

You will probably enjoy reading about googol.wad then. It's the same principle, the period of a crusher.

36 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

This is The SuperFly!

Aw my freakin' head I'm so wasted?

Here's something odd I found while playing Good Morning Phobos, if I position myself looking to that room, any hitscan ammo I shoot hits an invisible something, it isn't a solid wall because I can walk and nothing blocks me. 

doom04.png.15329ab30b57d13e8973a31948b079f8.png

I recorded a quick demo (gmp_28bullets.zip) to show the oddity, load gmp.wad, map 28. What could cause that? 

someone mentioned a node error in an otherwise empty room that caused something similar to this - unfortunately i cant remember where i read it, but it was recent.

i think it might have been @Memfis and/or @vdgg ?