Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

22 hours ago, printz said:

Nearly all Heretic monsters move a bit faster on skill 5 than on lower skill levels. Even more, this only applies to skill 5 and not on -fast. Sabreclaws don't get any faster, ironically.

Most of the projectiles also don't get any faster in Hexen, but the Ettins got faster in movement speed.

On 29/4/2018 at 10:06 AM, Xyzzy01 said:

Zombiemen, imps, demons, spectres, barons, hell knights, and cyberdemons don't go full-bright when they attack. Lost souls and spawn cubes are always rendered at full brightness.

Shotgunners, however, go full-bright when they attack on Doom v1.25 (special version for Sybex):

doom_001.png

On 06.05.2018 at 9:03 PM, cyan0s1s said:

Most of the projectiles also don't get any faster in Hexen, but the Ettins got faster in movement speed.

Apparently Hexen has the same rules as Heretic. Ettins are more noticeable because their walking frames take longer on normal skill and they have to move to get to you. There's also a minimum length cap, explaining why some monsters aren't made fast at all.

Reading TVTropes and stumbled upon this bit of insight:

Doom-engine games usually have a very simple first level, with a name that evokes feelings of having just arrived: Doom E1M1 is 'Hangar', Doom II MAP01 is 'Entryway', Heretic E1M1 is 'The Docks'...

On 5/7/2018 at 5:07 AM, Anonymous3000 said:

Shotgunners, however, go full-bright when they attack on Doom v1.25 (special version for Sybex):

On 5/7/2018 at 8:35 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

If I remember properly, in the final version, chaingunners and wolfss go fullbright when they attack.

When I said zombiemen, I mean the green-haired former humans 😛

6 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Voodoo dolls can telefrag stuff.

The first map of Heroes 2 (which got it from a wad that's otherwise lost forever) has a really interesting example of that, but unfortunately it doesn't actually work in most source ports.

9 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Voodoo dolls can telefrag stuff on all map slots.

I've seen this happen in Cyberdreams.

I gathered that. I was referring to them in addition.

Also, unless I'm horribly mistaken, any actor that inherits properties from the PlayerPawn actor should be able to telefrag anything, including other actors of its type.

ACTOR PlayerPawn native
{
  Health 100
  Radius 16
  Height 56
  Mass 100
  Painchance 255
  Speed 1
  +SOLID
  +SHOOTABLE
  +DROPOFF
  +PICKUP
  +NOTDMATCH
  +FRIENDLY
  +SLIDESONWALLS
  +CANPASS
  +CANPUSHWALLS
  +FLOORCLIP
  +WINDTHRUST
  +TELESTOMP
  +NOBLOCKMONST
  Player.AttackZOffset 8
  Player.JumpZ 8
  Player.GruntSpeed 12
  Player.FallingScreamSpeed 35, 40
  Player.ViewHeight 41
  Player.UseRange 64
  Player.ForwardMove 1,1
  Player.SideMove 1,1
  Player.ColorRange 0,0
  Player.SoundClass "player"
  Player.DamageScreenColor "ff 00 00"
  Player.MugShotMaxHealth 0
  Player.FlechetteType "ArtiPoisonBag3"
  Player.AirCapacity 1
  Obituary "$OB_MPDEFAULT"
}

From https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:PlayerPawn.

The important flag here is TELESTOMP, since I forgot to note that.

10 hours ago, JudgeDeadd said:

Reading TVTropes and stumbled upon this bit of insight:

Whereas Hexen's is "The Winnowing Hall", winnowing basically meaning separating the wheat from the chaff...

5 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Voodoo dolls can telefrag stuff on all map slots.

I just found out that there's still stuff about Doom rdwpa didn't know.

Er, well, there was, about 5 hours ago...

Lately I learned that BFG rays do not depend on the direction player is looking while the BFG shot is connecting with target. I know, I discovered it quite late.

Ok - two things:

First - classic doom music:

and

the second:

I hope you hear this :)

The same theme at begining.

I learned another new thing about Crispy Doom's resurrection cheat. If you use it after telefragging a voodoo doll, a new one appears over the gibs of the previous one.

DOOM0000.png

EDIT: After killing a bunch more they eventually stopped respawning and I was left with a bunch of dead me's. But the main reason I edited this post is because I've just learned that Doom RPG 1 and the Doom 3 novels have a character called "General Hayden". Any relation to Samuel? Who knows?

Edited by SiFi270

When a monster has the Ambush flag (Deaf is a bad name for it), it will have a 360 degree field of view, seeing the player in any direction no matter what direction it is facing.

@Empyre said this on the Strange Linedef Behavior thread in Doom Editing.

I didn't know that about the ambush flag.

More precisely: when monsters are idle, they can only see in front of them. When they are woken up, they get 360° vision. However, when monsters are woken up by hearing the player using a weapon, they normally go and start hunting directly, so you can't really notice that they can now see in their back since they're moving. It's just that if they have the ambush flag, then they will not move until they see the player -- and since they've been woken up, they can now also see in their back.

Ah, so if a monster has the Ambush flag and also has not heard you, it will see only in front? I love learning new things!

Yeah. Idle monsters can see only in front and are woken up by either seeing the player, hearing the player, or getting hurt by the player. Ambush monsters will wake up normally, but not move if they merely hear the player.

I learned earlier today that sectors tagged 667 raise by the height of the first (or second, if one isn't present) sidedef's lower texture, so a texture like STEP1 would cause it to raise 16 units, but one like METAL2 would cause it to raise 128 units.

I always avoided using that tag because I never understood how it worked.

Apparently 2 point blank range SSG blasts kill a revenant faster than 3 direct hits from rockets

42 minutes ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

Apparently 2 point blank range SSG blasts kill a revenant faster than 3 direct hits from rockets

Depends how far away you are firing the rockets. 3 direct rocket hits always kills a revenant, and 3 rocket launches is faster than two super shotgun blasts. So the only thing that would make 2 SSG blasts kill it faster is the distance the rockets have to travel. It'd be interesting to know what the distance is when 3 rockets become slower.

14 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Depends how far away you are firing the rockets. 3 direct rocket hits always kills a revenant, and 3 rocket launches is faster than two super shotgun blasts. So the only thing that would make 2 SSG blasts kill it faster is the distance the rockets have to travel. It'd be interesting to know what the distance is when 3 rockets become slower.

It would also depend on whether the revenant is moving relative to the player. If the player's hauling ass toward it for whatever reason and the rev doing the same, it'll probably get much faster.

And weirder.

Why are you charging a revenant while shooting rockets at it?

The percentage chance of 2 direct-hit rockets not killing a rev is in the single digits. Both rockets have to get literally the lowest roll possible for 2 direct hits to not kill a rev. Anything but the lowest roll on either rocket will kill the rev in 2 hits.

If you went up against 100 revs one-on-one, one-after-another with just one weapon, the SSG would take longer to go through them all than the RL.

8 minutes ago, Fonze said:

If you went up against 100 revs one-on-one, one-after-another with just one weapon, the SSG would take longer to go through them all than the RL.

dont give @TimeOfDeath666 map ideas...