Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

14 minutes ago, Fonze said:

If you went up against 100 revs one-on-one, one-after-another with just one weapon, the SSG would take longer to go through them all than the RL.

Needs a player with quite the patience to kill 100 Revs with a SSG though :v .

Obviously I wouldn't recommend whipping out your big ol' SSG and attempting to mow through them, I'm just using a single revenant as reference. It really depends on the given scenario in which you'd take advantage of this.

30 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Challenge Accepted, sir.

Where do I need to go?

I dunno, find a wad with waves of one hundred Revenants or more and record a demo or a video :v .

Aww, I actually wanted to do it. It sounded like a good time.

I like to cherry tap the Spider Mastermind with the chaingun and the cyberdemon with the SSG. I like to save my rocket launcher, plasma rifle, and BFG for groups.

About the rocket launcher, not too long ago I learned that if a rocket directly impacts a target, it imparts its base damage plus full splash damage, which tends to result in over 200 damage directly.

Quick edit: To Agent6 above, Unloved has a few of these situations.

Since we posted at the same time.

@Aquila Chrysaetos

This site has some pertinent and valuable info.

Each weapon entry has nice charts, including how many hits to kill each enemy.

Way back in the day, I thought of monsters' health in terms of number of rockets to kill (which is very similar to SSG shots).

I was pretty accurate, but I thought of pain elementals as 3 and cacodemons as 2 or 3. I also thought of both mancubi and arch-viles as 4.

I also remember in my youthful ignorance finding it so odd that I rarely killed a demon with 2 shotgun shells but almost always did with 2 super shotgun shells.

I thought of their health in terms of SSG shots when I started.

I was under the (apparently not-too-false) impression the SSG did 200 damage.

As for the information, I prefer the ZDoom wiki because I get to see the code and definitions firsthand to get a grip on how it works.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:RocketLauncher

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Rocket

And also https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_Explode, from which I just learned that the default explosion radius is 128 units.

The revenant stops using its missile attack within 192 units unless it's been attacked thanks to JUSTHIT.

This conveniently means that I can strike with effective impunity if a revenant is 160 units away with the rocket launcher.

Learning is fun!

55 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Aquila Chrysaetos

This site has some pertinent and valuable info.

0/10 wrong wiki.

Use doomwiki.org

1 hour ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

Obviously I wouldn't recommend whipping out your big ol' SSG and attempting to mow through them, I'm just using a single revenant as reference. It really depends on the given scenario in which you'd take advantage of this.

My point is that on average, in order to save the most time it makes sense to fight even all single revs with the RL over the SSG. Grouping them would of course cause splash damage to be taken into account and would further push the balance away from the SSG.

Even without blast damage, if your goal is speed...

4 hours ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

Apparently 2 point blank range SSG blasts kill a revenant faster than 3 direct hits from rockets

then using the SSG over the RL on the gamble that 3 rockets will be needed to kill a rev when the average is 2.03 rockets is kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Edited by Fonze : Is it cause I didn't link the exact topic? Heh

I just type "Doom wiki [search terms]" into my browser. Never even noticed there were multiple with pretty much identical information. So I guess that's something about Doom I just found out.

Edited by HAK3180 : Quotation mark fail

16 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I just type "Doom wiki [search terms]" into my browser. Never even noticed there were multiple with pretty much identical information. So I guess that's something about Doom I just found out.

Also ( I reckon) there's still the old wiki which the wiki admins locked to prevent removal when there was a mass emigration from that wiki for a couple years ago.

The partial invisibility sphere appears for the first time in the third map of each IWAD except for Plutonia, in which its first appearance is in MAP09.

Also, there are only 11 partial invisibility spheres in Plutonia, compared to Ultimate Doom's 23 (skills 1/2) and 24 (skill 3+), Doom II's 26, and TNT's 23 (skills 1/2) and 22 (skill 3+).

Also, in Plutonia, there are only five invulnerability spheres. Each other IWAD has at least 12 (TNT has twelve on UV and NM). Unless Doom (sans E4) is counted, which has only 10.

Also also, Plutonia has the most megaspheres of any of the IWAD's, having at least 27.

9 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

The partial invisibility sphere appears for the first time in the third map of each IWAD except for Plutonia, in which its first appearance is in MAP09.

Also, there are only 11 partial invisibility spheres in Plutonia, compared to Ultimate Doom's 23 (skills 1/2) and 24 (skill 3+), Doom II's 26, and TNT's 23 (skills 1/2) and 22 (skill 3+).

Also, in Plutonia, there are only five invulnerability spheres. Each other IWAD has at least 12 (TNT has twelve on UV and NM). Unless Doom (sans E4) is counted, which has only 10.

Also also, Plutonia has the most megaspheres of any of the IWAD's, having at least 27.

That's interesting, I've never noticed Plutonia had so few Invisibility spheres (I rarely use them anyway). And Invulnerability spheres well, at this time I barely remember ever using any in my last playthrough, but I wasn't aware of the fact that there's only 5 in the entire IWAD lol.

On 5/17/2018 at 9:43 AM, HAK3180 said:

On 5/17/2018 at 10:20 AM, Fonze said:

I always think the former site copied a lot of things from the latter site, not sure though. I would say not all the data for damage is correct. For example, both of them said you always need 4 full SSG blasts to kill an Arch-vile, which is not true. There is a low chance that you can kill an Arch-vile with 3 full SSG blasts. Due to the P_RNG table thingy, SSG can't reach the max 300 damage, but definitely can be more than 233.33 (700/3) per shot. It's just rare.

On 5/17/2018 at 5:50 AM, AbsorbedHatch said:

Apparently 2 point blank range SSG blasts kill a revenant faster than 3 direct hits from rockets

I would say this comparison needs more details to talk about... I assume you won't use rockets in point blank range for anything, and you won't use SSG for long range shooting either, so it's kind of weird. I expanded your situation a little bit, so here's my thing (assuming you're in the same height of the Revenant): If the Revenant is far away and has limited movement space, or can only move back and forth from your angle, Rocket Launcher is definitely a good choice. If the Revenant can move sideways and there's a wall right at the back, RL could be a decent choice. However, if it's a big rectangle area that you can't really rely on splash damage, RL may not be the best choice. Probably Chaingun or Plasma Rifle is better.

8 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

If it's a big rectangle area that you can't really rely on splash damage, RL may not be the best choice. Probably Chaingun or Plasma Rifle is better.

I usually use the SSG if it's any amount of revenants 4 and under. Anything above that I whip out the rocket launcher/plasma rifle. Obviously if I'm low on SSG ammo I'll use the chaingun for scenario 1, but that's almost never a problem on my end.

15 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

I always think the former site copied a lot of things from the latter site, not sure though.

Anything added before mid-February 2011 is identical (unless someone has rewritten it from scratch) because that's when the database was split.

There are rumors that a few people remain active on both, but it's hard to tell because Wikia keeps burying the edit histories deeper and deeper (a violation of the license, which requires easily accessible credits). Someone with text processing skill could try comparing diffs from API dumps, although I'd hope they had more fun things to do.

15 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

I would say not all the data for damage is correct. For example, both of them said you always need 4 full SSG blasts to kill an Arch-vile, which is not true. There is a low chance that you can kill an Arch-vile with 3 full SSG blasts.

The footnotes clearly state that the table is not meant to be correct for all possible game situations, only one simplified case. Apparently the statistical calculation is so tedious, even for a competent programmer (which isn't me), that a more complete version has yet to be posted.

First of all, I'll just remind you thay I hate revenants. At least they're easy to kill. But it's a rarity for me to manage to shoot one out with two SSGs. And when revs come in big groups, the rocket launcher or the BFG work better. The SSG is slow anyways. The chaingun too. But if you talk about single revenants, you really are correct.  

I found that my megawad has critical tutti frutti effects all over the place with particular sourceports, and now I need adjust every 31 levels.

Turned out that the sourceports I've been using, including PrBoom+ w/ complevel 2, don't emulate any tutti frutti effect.

On 5/26/2018 at 6:32 PM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I recently found out Chaingunners can hit you even when there's about 1-2 pixels of visibility between you and the gunner.

Which makes sense from a realism standpoint (yes, I just used the words "realism" and "Doom" together in a sentence). Imagine if you were standing right behind two plates of metal that had a small gap between them and someone was shooting at you randomly. It's not unreasonable to think that one of those bullets could go through that gap. Now, imagine that someone is randomly spraying an area with several dozen rounds. The chance of a bullet going through gap only goes up.

1 hour ago, antares031 said:

I found that my megawad has critical tutti frutti effects all over the place with particular sourceports, and now I need adjust every 31 levels.

Turned out that the sourceports I've been using, including PrBoom+ w/ complevel 2, don't emulate any tutti frutti effect.

It might be quicker to edit the texture definitions rather than the maps.

I just found out Spider Mastermind got pregnant by Cyberdemon... but he said the baby isn't his.

4 minutes ago, geo said:

I just found out Spider Mastermind got pregnant by Cyberdemon... but he said the baby isn't his.

Are you sure it's only one baby? There are quite a few arachnotrons...

1 minute ago, KVELLER said:

Are you sure it's only one baby? There are quite a few arachnotrons...

Dead Simple was the unholy nursery they constructed for their baby arachnotrons and mancubi.

8 hours ago, Jon said:

It might be quicker to edit the texture definitions rather than the maps.

I'm actually doing both of them; changing texture's height on TEXTURE1 and adjusting in-game walls with those particular textures.