Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Interesting Heretic bug found

In vanilla (Chocolate) Heretic, if you land on a thing, you will afterwards have full air control. This means that even when in mid-air, you'll be able to freely move horizontally. This will then allow you to change direction as you run-jump, or to access alcoves while falling vertically.

I think it also gives you ground-like friction (unless you're above ice) so you probably won't reach huge speeds with this.

The effect is irreversible until you exit the level.

just found that teleporter on map 11 which lowers at some point during the piece of progression where you grab the red key

lol

i think there's like a continuum of observativeness when it comes to stuff you really know well

like the first time you play it you see nothing but the main path

then you revisit it and notice secrets and quirks

and then there's a cut off point where your routine for beating the map hardens so you might never discover the teleporter on map 11 which lowers at some point during the piece of progression where you grab the key

On 6/3/2018 at 2:03 PM, printz said:

Interesting Heretic bug found

In vanilla (Chocolate) Heretic, if you land on a thing, you will afterwards have full air control. This means that even when in mid-air, you'll be able to freely move horizontally. This will then allow you to change direction as you run-jump, or to access alcoves while falling vertically.

This is a great discovery. There's still so much untapped potential in Heretic. I'm sure this could be abused into some really interesting gameplay WAD.

That the mega armor effect lasts until it's depleted or another armor is picked up.

Before i thought it used some kind of treshold, above 100 amor = 50% absorption, below = 33%.

Kinda important to know before picking up green armor, oops.

I learned that when standing in a 5% damage floor you actually last longer in it with 200% health and no armor, rather than with 100% health and 200% blue armor.

1 hour ago, Xyzzy01 said:

I learned that when standing in a 5% damage floor you actually last longer in it with 200% health and no armor, rather than with 100% health and 200% blue armor.

That's because if you take an odd-numbered amount of damage, the extra point always comes out of health. So, for things like revenants and mancubi, 100 health 200 blue armor is effectively 200 HP. However, for imps and hitscanners, it's significantly less, since those guys have odd-numbered damage rolls.

I just learned this from a fairly recent YouTube video:

The name, cacodemon, comes from the Greek word, cacodaemon, which means evil spirit, but in Latin, the word caco can mean to poop, or deficate, which could explain why it has 2 holes in the back of its body.

Screenshot_SmartSelect_2018-06-11-20-18-

Damn and I always just thought it was a stolen DnD asset.

Edited by Fonze : I hope the sarcasm of this post is obvious.................................... That's just one Hell of a logic jump right there

Cuz Youtube videos from 25 years later by unknown 3rd parties are such a reliable gateway into what Adrian Carmack was thinking when he drew the cacodemon.

8 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Cuz Youtube videos from 25 years later by unknown 3rd parties are such a reliable gateway into what Adrian Carmack was thinking when he drew the cacodemon.

Wait are you saying I shouldn't just parrot whatever Youtubers say in place of having my own opinions or knowledge?

1 minute ago, Linguica said:

Wait are you saying I shouldn't just parrot whatever Youtubers say in place of having my own opinions or knowledge?

Unpopular opinion these days, I know :V

For the record, there's also a slightly smaller slime trail in the same location as the famous one on e1m1 on the other side of that ledge.

That last post was supposed to be a sarcastic joke, which is also why I didn't link the video: since stupid videos deserve no extra views. Truthfully I didn't even watch any of the video past that comment about poo until afterwards, but he does actually get some things right (or close to it as I would think) and does touch on some random, actually interesting things amidst the other more off-base observations and theories, for example later mentioning the design... "similarities" to DnD's astral dreadnaught and comically mentioning how they float slowly and get pushed around by the player's fire, like that latter part has anything to do with anything. 

That said, these types of videos are just always something to either laugh at or nerd-scream at because they're first-and-foremost targeted to mainstream audiences (aka not doom nerds like us) and are thus bound to get stuff blatantly wrong. It's kinda funny more than anything else and shouldn't be taken seriously at all. In the first 7 seconds of another video this same guy asks what happened to the barons at the start of e2m8 like the cyberdemon nearby didn't kill them; like I'm pretty sure 99.9% of Doomers would agree that was to showcase that the e1 "bosses" that were really tough and intimidating were nothing compared to what was next (an actual boss). 

Anyway, I thought the joke was worth sharing but perhaps my delivery was lacking... or I'm too easily entertained.

7 hours ago, Fonze said:

In the first 7 seconds of another video this same guy asks what happened to the barons at the start of e2m8 like the cyberdemon nearby didn't kill them;

I think we might've watched the same videos (well, only one in my case). The guy also said that the game was called Doom because the marine opened a portal from hell to Earth and doomed our world :P I actually commented in the video the real reason behind the game's name.

Lol kveller, prolly; the two I saw were uploaded I think a couple months ago. I actually don't think I saw the video (or part) that mentioned the naming of Dume; I only watched basically the first half of two of his videos until I lost interest, but it looked like there were at least a few more I didn't watch about doom (and doom '16) and a slew of videos about other, more modern games. 

Edit: Well, after poking the map in question a bit in-editor it looks like it probably wasn't even a clever trick with D'Sparil, but rather a case of "obscure linedef trigger #1 can only do its thing after you've triggered obscure linedef trigger #2".

Vanilla Heretic can apparently use boss triggers on maps that aren't M8 slots, at least in some circumstances.  I haven't experimented with it too much yet, only found an existing map that does it, so I'm not sure as yet if there are any limitations (for example, it's possible it only works for D'Sparil, I haven't looked into that yet).

Edited by ETTiNGRiNDER : On closer inspection... probably not.

11 hours ago, zokum said:

For the record, there's also a slightly smaller slime trail in the same location as the famous one on e1m1 on the other side of that ledge.

You mean this one? Never knew about that one either. That's a whole lot of slime trails.

Also (not Doom but Hexen related so close enough), TIL I can completely bypass the Winnowing Hall silver key and effectively speedrun the level by doing this:

unknown.png

Sometimes being a mage main pays off. (Actually I found it out while testing a custom projectile weapon, but it works with the mage's sapphire wand as well, as shown.)

When a player dies in Doom, its height becomes 0. Your POV will move down to your feet's height, but it's not instantaneous. That way your body may slip into areas that have an height of 8 even though your head is still 32 units over the floor. 

So if you get blown up by the Arch-Vile in an area with a low ceiling and die, since you get trust upwards and your head hasn't moved to your feet's height yet, your head will go though the ceiling and you'll be able to see trough it (this will create a HOM effect).

This has been fixed in source ports like ZDoom. 

Upon careful review and scrutiny, I've determined that, outside of Adrian's concept art and the Doom 2 sprite itself, the Reaper Miniature figurine of the Arch-vile is seemingly the only other officially sanctioned depiction of the Arch-vile to accurately represent the character's signature face tubes.

doomarch_facetubes2.jpg.0b0b77dc0e805a915488d918de46d3de.jpg

If the joke was worth sharing then the video was worth sharing. I don’t see how you can see merit in the joke but feel the author doesn’t deserve views. By the same token, the opinion of J Rando Youtuber is approximately as valid as J Random Doomworld poster. They might even be one and the same. Let’s not get horribly cliquey.

16 hours ago, Jon said:

If the joke was worth sharing then the video was worth sharing. I don’t see how you can see merit in the joke but feel the author doesn’t deserve views.

Maybe the poo was the only funny thing in the video?

20 hours ago, zokum said:

@129thVisplane

No, I was thinking of this one:

e1m1reverse.png

I have a feeling that, with just the right player angle and position, slime trails can be found all over many maps. I think the reason they seem rare is that:

1. the player is always on the move
  2. you have to be in just the right position and angle
  3. the offending walls must be diagonal

I am convinced that slime trails can be eliminated with the right math. If no one beats me to it, I'll set up a test rig that lets me analyze specific slime trails. Some real-time geometry cheats should allow the manual fixing of individual slime trails, which should allow the formulation of a theory for how to fix all of them. Then again, map geometry precision may simply not allow all of them to be 100% fixed, without rebuilding the maps using different split lines. Either way, an exhaustive study of the cause and effect should reveal the truth, one way or the other.

48 minutes ago, kb1 said:

slime trails can be found all over many maps

Absolutely. You can open up just about any map in Gzdoom builder and go into the nodes viewer mode. Almost any place with a small gap in the nodes will have a slime trail if viewed from the correct angle.

48 minutes ago, kb1 said:

I am convinced that slime trails can be eliminated with the right math.

Didn't MBF do something similar to this?

e: Looks like it tries to with P_RemoveSlimeTrails() but it doesn't seem to do a good job, as all the slime trails in E1M1 are still there.

Edited by Spie812

Yes, P_RemoveSlimeTrails() tries to do the right thing, and, on the surface, it looks like a solid function. But, I believe it is missing a step. I think it should grow some segs by 1 unit, based on the angle of the seg and the angle of the split. If I can find the time, I have an idea.

Nice to know that there is a visual way to detect them from the map editor. If a program could automatically detect them, it could also fix them.

On 6/12/2018 at 12:57 AM, Fonze said:

In the first 7 seconds of another video this same guy asks what happened to the barons at the start of e2m8 like the cyberdemon nearby didn't kill them; like I'm pretty sure 99.9% of Doomers would agree that was to showcase that the e1 "bosses" that were really tough and intimidating were nothing compared to what was next (an actual boss).

I do recall seeing the dead barons when I first arrived at E2M8 and thinking something along the lines of, "What the heck is here that it could do that to a Baron of Hell?" Barons of Hell were the most powerful monster I knew about at that time, so whatever it was that could just tear them apart like that was obviously something with devastating power.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:20 AM, KVELLER said:

I think we might've watched the same videos (well, only one in my case). The guy also said that the game was called Doom because the marine opened a portal from hell to Earth and doomed our world :P I actually commented in the video the real reason behind the game's name.

I'll say right off, I haven't watched the video or read the comments, so I'm only assuming what your comment was. From a real-world iD is "releasing Doom on the world of computer gaming" a la Tom Cruise carrying "Doom" in his case in "The Color of Money" you're right. However, from an in-game perspective, it's not a bad rationale.

If you remember from the back of the game box (or at least the shareware box), the text reads "From the cold void of space the demon brood came. ... The creatures moved through the base and Death reigned where they walked." (I found a picture of the shareware box before I typed this, so this is what it says.) So, from that standpoint, the demons were bringing Doom to the bases on Phobos and Deimos.

Also from the box, "A twisted smile comes to your face. They're gonna need more guys." From that standpoint, you are bringing doom to the demon hordes.

And doesn't the text after Inferno say something about "no hellspawn came through the door with you" and we all know what happened then. So doom was brought to Earth.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:29 PM, Jon said:

If the joke was worth sharing then the video was worth sharing. I don’t see how you can see merit in the joke but feel the author doesn’t deserve views. By the same token, the opinion of J Rando Youtuber is approximately as valid as J Random Doomworld poster. They might even be one and the same. Let’s not get horribly cliquey.

Fair enough, here is said video in question:

(I would use spoilers for these 2 videos but 5 times in a row trying on this post to use them only proves how abysmally DW handles them now; it's pathetic that I can't even use 2 seperate, or even just fucking 1, spoiler(s) in a post just to help with page loading times without totally borking any formatting I also spent time on to make things easier to read)

Spoiler

And another one that was actually more interesting:

Spoiler

Fun fact: when I clicked on one of this guy's videos for the first time I mistakenly read his name as afterglow.

Those cacos look badass, especially the one on the right. For 3D model Doom, *that's* the look!

In Plutonia Map03, the floor in that twisting hallway (the one that leads to the Red Key and the exit) that drops you into that room with the Mancubus and the Chainsaw also drops several other floors in that hallway. The sectors were probably copied and pasted in that hallway with the tags in tact. You never notice it normally since the walkover line to lower the floor/lift is a one-time only and not repeatable. The only way you could really notice it is during a multiplayer game. You could send one person back up the hall, let them continue down, and then press the switch from that room with the Chainsaw/Mancubus to lower the floors again.