Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Just now, KVELLER said:

What kind of error?

I'm honestly a bit lazy to go and find it, but it was a mapping error.

You know the red roof on that big room with two skulls switches full of corpses?

If you look at it from the location of... an green armor? you can see a error.

I've never seen any visual errors there, but I know of two other bugs in that room. One is an inexplicably impassable line down in the baron pit, and also it's possible to enter the secret teleporter to the monster ledge before it opens, getting stuck as a result.

Just by starting to actually get into mapping, I realized that the CEMENT textures are meant to depict, well, cement / concrete. I must say it does not look at all like that. I was always wondering what kind of surface this is supposed to be. They are actually some of my least favourite textures in Doom, due to their "photographic" appearance, whereas most other textures have a more hand drawn look.

10 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

I've never seen any visual errors there, but I know of two other bugs in that room. One is an inexplicably impassable line down in the baron pit, and also it's possible to enter the secret teleporter to the monster ledge before it opens, getting stuck as a result.

The visual error is just found if you 'fly' to that section on the corner which opens and I think Pain Elementals go out, if you get the closest to the left, you can see it.

That visual error is called a hall of mirrors effect, or HoM, and is due to a missing texture. 

On 7/19/2018 at 9:38 AM, Scypek2 said:

How do you horizontally misalign a 16-wide door border texture on a 16-wide linedef? I'd suspect a rogue autoalign feature, but this is an iwad map, meaning Sandy had to manually set the texture offset to 8 for some reason.

DoomEd did have a rudimentary texture alignment feature—the FirstCol calculator. It still doesn’t make this error any less baffling. My only guess is the texture or line length was changed after the alignment was done.

I also find it amusing that Romero must’ve been dead set against using that calculator, given how poor his texture alignment tends to be. (Sandy actually aligns much better)

Edited by Dragonsbrethren

6 hours ago, Novaseer said:

You can't IDCLIP through a sector with Instant Death.

You can if you use IDDQD or type god in the console.

7 hours ago, Novaseer said:

You can if you use GOD2 with any sourceport that has ultimate god mode ;)

1 minute ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

You can if you use GOD2 with any sourceport that has ultimate god mode ;)

I know, but IDCLIP alone will not let you go through.

7 hours ago, Novaseer said:

Today I learned that some source ports have an instant death sector type.

1 hour ago, damerell said:

Today I learned that some source ports have an instant death sector type.

It’s something we hoped to put into the “boom++” spec too. And for op’s op, the elephant in the room is that vanilla doom *doesn’t* have an instant death type.

Recently this thread has felt more like “things about zdoom I just found out”

In Chocolate Doom (and probably PRBoom, given they handle collision the same), if you hug a wall between yourself and an arch vile, but it can still attack you, the attack will only do 20 damage instead of the normal full 90.

I discovered this in Eternal Doom MAP04 and will probably induct this in one or two of my own maps.

That's because the origin of the explosion will be inside the wall, so you'll get total cover. Arch-vile attack inflicts 20 direct damage and 70 blast damage.

This blast damage also means that an arch-vile can hurt (and eventually kill) itself by attacking targets that are close to it.

I did know that a vile can kill itself with its own blast damage, but I didn't know that the explosion's origin was physically in front of the player. That's cool.

13 minutes ago, Gez said:

That's because the origin of the explosion will be inside the wall, so you'll get total cover. Arch-vile attack inflicts 20 direct damage and 70 blast damage.

This blast damage also means that an arch-vile can hurt (and eventually kill) itself by attacking targets that are close to it.

Cool, learned something new today fitting for this thread.

38 minutes ago, Gez said:

This however is NOT the case for GZDooM. Interesting to know it can happen in BooM... now I'm curious if it's the same for vanilla.

22 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

now I'm curious if it's the same for vanilla.

2 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

In Chocolate Doom

Chocolate Doom emulates vanilla down to the strict limitations. It's the same.

3 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

This however is NOT the case for GZDooM.

Uh, except it is? I always play in GZDoom and I take advantage of this whenever I can.

9 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Tested and nope. 700/700 from start to finish of the test. Either I've set it up wrong or it's not a thing for GZDooM.

Wait, were you talking about the Archviles hurting themselves? I thought you were talking about the fact that the player can avoid the blast damage. You quoted both things, so I got confused.

Arch-viles can absolutely hurt themselves by blasting close enemies in GZDoom.

I found out that Sandy Peterson used to be a reviewer, and had some on the Commander Keen series before joining id and taking Tom Hall's place. You can practically smell Sandy on Episode 3 levels and on some of Tom Hall's unfinished levels like Refueling Base. 

On 6/14/2018 at 9:03 PM, Fonze said:

Fair enough, here is said video in question:

(I would use spoilers for these 2 videos but 5 times in a row trying on this post to use them only proves how abysmally DW handles them now; it's pathetic that I can't even use 2 seperate, or even just fucking 1, spoiler(s) in a post just to help with page loading times without totally borking any formatting I also spent time on to make things easier to read)

Hide contents

And another one that was actually more interesting:

Hide contents

Fun fact: when I clicked on one of this guy's videos for the first time I mistakenly read his name as afterglow.

Seen this dude in my recommended a lot, never watched him but it kinda annoys me how he just steals fan-art. I'm actually glad the original Doom games are getting slightly more "mainstream" now.

TIL that, in GZDoom, you can put in more than one command in the console by putting in a ; in between commands.

For example, "god ; notarget" enable both god mode and notarget at the same time.