Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I just found out how Adrian, Donna, Shawn or Sandy are not DooM characters but real people :^)

I read somewhere that "Donna was a female soldier who saved Doomguy on the past" "Shawn was one of the last marines to die on DooM, just before Doomguy arrived." or something like that.

What's the origin of that screaming blurred face? That's a really underused piece of Doom iconography and I've always loved it.

98% sure almost everyone already knows, but...

If you access a non-ExM1 level in Ultimate Doom via map skipping (IDCLEV, "MAP" command, etc.), and you proceed to finish said map, the intermission screen won't show any levels taking place prior in the episode marked with the blood patch, only the ones cleared by legitimate means.

14 hours ago, Archanhell said:

I just found out how Adrian, Donna, Shawn or Sandy are not DooM characters but real people :^)

I read somewhere that "Donna was a female soldier who saved Doomguy on the past" "Shawn was one of the last marines to die on DooM, just before Doomguy arrived." or something like that.

Friends don't let friends read the Doom wikia page.

7 hours ago, Marn said:

Friends don't let friends read the Doom wikia page.

Lmao nah it wasn't on the wikia, I don't remember where... Doomworld DooM's page? I think.

While chatting during a multiplayer game in vanilla Doom, the message that you're typing is sent as you type, not when pressing 'enter'. So if you start typing a message but don't press 'enter', the characters that make the message have still been sent to them, but it won't be displayed to them because you didn't press 'enter'. If you type 'A', it's sent to other players during the same tic that you typed it.

Only one character can be sent to another player during each tic, but using this technique, the message is shown to other players instantaneously when you press 'enter' because it only has to transmit one tic saying that the message has been sent in order for it to be displayed to them. If this wasn't the case, you'd have to wait 1 second (35 tics) before the other players would receive a 35 characters long message.

On 8/3/2018 at 5:03 PM, Pegleg said:

Are you also one of the masochists that enjoys having archviles released into areas you've already cleared out?

So, you must be one of those folks who doesn't like killing enemies? May I ask why you play Doom?

:-P

12 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

So, you must be one of those folks who doesn't like killing enemies? May I ask why you play Doom?

:-P

I think you misunderstood. I have no problem killing enemies in Doom; in fact, I usually die quite quickly trying pacifist runs.

I was merely commenting that there seems to be a large chunk of players that absolutely love (sarcasm, in case it wasn't obvious), archives being released into areas that you already spent time and resources clearing out. I'm not fond of it myself, as a player.

Of course, not isn't stopping me from making a map that includes that trope ... but that's neither here nor there.

What I've found out recently is that at some time I was wondering how E1M1-E3M9 could've been named if their names were also quotes from the Bible.

I had to move on about the idea, probably for the best. :D

On 8/5/2018 at 2:27 PM, axdoomer said:

While chatting during a multiplayer game in vanilla Doom, the message that you're typing is sent as you type, not when pressing 'enter'. So if you start typing a message but don't press 'enter', the characters that make the message have still been sent to them, but it won't be displayed to them because you didn't press 'enter'. If you type 'A', it's sent to other players during the same tic that you typed it.

Only one character can be sent to another player during each tic, but using this technique, the message is shown to other players instantaneously when you press 'enter' because it only has to transmit one tic saying that the message has been sent in order for it to be displayed to them. If this wasn't the case, you'd have to wait 1 second (35 tics) before the other players would receive a 35 characters long message.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty brilliant too. Sure, it's simple, and even logical, but it's also kinda beautiful.

I found out that Arachnotrons only have 500 HP, and thus have about as much survivability as a Hell Knight, and a little less than a Mancubus.

This is surprising to me because up until the point I found out how fragile they are, I considered them to be a bigger badder type of enemy on par with a Baron or perhaps Archvile, because I feared them. Now that I know that a couple of super shotgun blasts dispatches them they're a lot less scary.

They're actually less survivable than a hell knight, because they are wider and slower, and therefore get hit more often. Their rapid-fire also means that they are excellent target for infight trolling, as you can lead them to shoot other enemies with great ease and therefore get a whole mob to gang up on them.

In my experience, arachnotrons are indeed less survivable than knights because of their speed and larger collision box, but at the same time, they're much more dangerous, as I've watched them kill anything short of bosses singlehandedly, even viles when their fire is directed into one.

Even the Mastermind and cyber aren't completely safe because they can get stuck on the geometry and the arachnotrons themselves and the 'trons will tear them down. It's for this reason that after the Mastermind, the arachnotron is my favorite monster.

19 hours ago, Pegg said:

They also have a stupid high pain chance so almost any weapon can stunlock them to death.

They're just like their mother :)

Never been a fan of neither Arachnotrons nor MMs. They're efficient at infighting and shotgunning them to death is very satisfying, especially the Arachnotron's explosion, but I dunno, I could never bring myself to like either.

Or, not in most games they're featured in, I do like them a lot in Doom 64 with their improved gun, 6 legs, and more badass & intimidating look, but that's about it.

37574.png

On Map 21 of Doom 2 (Nirvana), the medikits in the start room all have the ambush flag set. The health bonuses don't have that flag turned on, just the medikits. I would suspect it was a copy-paste thing, but not knowing how DoomEd handled setting up things, I can't say any further.

20 hours ago, segfault said:

I found out that Arachnotrons only have 500 HP, and thus have about as much survivability as a Hell Knight, and a little less than a Mancubus.

Survivability has to do with more than just hit points. Just looking at the monster, the monster's speed, projectile type, rate of fire, splash damage, movement type, pain chance, and size of hit box, all play a role in determining the survivability, in addition to total hit points.

So, all else being equal, the Arachnotron is on par with a Hell Knight and just below a Mancubus, but all else is not equal, as outlined in the responses following your original post.

7 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Survivability has to do with more than just hit points. Just looking at the monster, the monster's speed, projectile type, rate of fire, splash damage, movement type, pain chance, and size of hit box, all play a role in determining the survivability, in addition to total hit points.

So, all else being equal, the Arachnotron is on par with a Hell Knight and just below a Mancubus, but all else is not equal, as outlined in the responses following your original post.

Yeah this is all true. Now that I'm actually paying attention I'm learning a lot about how the monsters work and how they interact with encounters.

1 minute ago, segfault said:

Yeah this is all true. Now that I'm actually paying attention I'm learning a lot about how the monsters work and how they interact with encounters.

Awesome. That will help you, both as a player and as a mapper.

4 minutes ago, segfault said:

Now that I'm actually paying attention I'm learning a lot about how the monsters work and how they interact with encounters.

If you value your time and wanna learn the fast but hard way: Play slaughtermaps

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

If you value your time and wanna learn the fast but hard way: Play slaughtermaps

Depending on your level of skill, that can be the very hard (and very frustrating) way.

But yes, slaughtermaps (at least, well-made ones) will force you to understand the array of enemies and how best to handle them.

Found out by accident a walkthrough of the early version of the Doom 2 maps. I know Sandy said at some point that he's disappointed by the fact that they "made the game too easy for casuals", and based on what I've seen in MAP03, well, indeed, in comparison the final product is really watered down. Unless inaccuracies are present, there used to be Arachnotrons, Arch-Viles, and Barons in the level lol.

Also realized that I completely forgot that they used translucency in PSX Doom, not the same PC effect. I know, Specters were semi-transparent, obviously, but I missed the partial invisibily effect, oops.

I always wondered when I played Doom 95, there were two playable .exe files. One for Doom's episodes, and one with only Episode 1. 

That was my lesson about what Shareware is.