Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

1 hour ago, elarmadillo3 said:

Any idea where you found that?

Once again, I don't remember. But I'm pretty sure I've seen it before.

39 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

I believe this is the sound spawn cubes from the Icon of Sin make when flying towards their destination.

It's not that, i have never heard that sound in the game other than when i quit the game. (By the way, i play with GZDoom, so maybe it's a ZDoom thing only?)

9 minutes ago, elarmadillo3 said:

It's not that, i have never heard that sound in the game other than when i quit the game. (By the way, i play with GZDoom, so maybe it's a ZDoom thing only?)

No, i play with Zdoom, GZdoom, Prboom+ and Chocolate Doom and i heard the same sound, i think i heard it from the spawn cubes but it was hard to make it up because of the sounds of other monsters and the music, maybe it is some unused sound left from the early development of Doom, the sound doesn't appear anywhere in game aside from quit messages.

sfx_boscub == DSBOSCUB. Open doom2.wad with SLADE 3 and listen to it.

Here's some vanilla Doom code:

// travelling cube sound
void A_SpawnSound (mobj_t* mo)	
{
    S_StartSound (mo,sfx_boscub);
    A_SpawnFly(mo);
}

Wow, it sounds like the action function A_SpawnSound plays that woowawoo sound! In vanilla Doom! Amazing!!!!!

{SPR_BOSF,32768,3,{A_SpawnSound},S_SPAWN2,0,0},	// S_SPAWN1
    {SPR_BOSF,32769,3,{A_SpawnFly},S_SPAWN3,0,0},	// S_SPAWN2
    {SPR_BOSF,32770,3,{A_SpawnFly},S_SPAWN4,0,0},	// S_SPAWN3
    {SPR_BOSF,32771,3,{A_SpawnFly},S_SPAWN1,0,0},	// S_SPAWN4

Woah, it looks like the state S_SPAWN1 calls the A_SpawnSound function! In vanilla Doom!!!!!!!!!!1!!! Unbelievable!!!!!!

{		// MT_SPAWNSHOT
	-1,		// doomednum
	S_SPAWN1,		// spawnstate
	1000,		// spawnhealth
	S_NULL,		// seestate
	sfx_bospit,		// seesound
	8,		// reactiontime
	sfx_None,		// attacksound
	S_NULL,		// painstate
	0,		// painchance
	sfx_None,		// painsound
	S_NULL,		// meleestate
	S_NULL,		// missilestate
	S_NULL,		// deathstate
	S_NULL,		// xdeathstate
	sfx_firxpl,		// deathsound
	10*FRACUNIT,		// speed
	6*FRACUNIT,		// radius
	32*FRACUNIT,		// height
	100,		// mass
	3,		// damage
	sfx_None,		// activesound
	MF_NOBLOCKMAP|MF_MISSILE|MF_DROPOFF|MF_NOGRAVITY|MF_NOCLIP,		// flags
	S_NULL		// raisestate
    },

Wowee-wow, it seems that S_SPAWN1 is the spawn state of the spawn cube! In vanilla Doom!!?!!!!1!! Astounding!!!!oneoneone

I just realised that the switch that opens the door to the "secret" hallway with health and armor bonuses in E2M1 can only be activated once.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

Wow, it sounds like the action function A_SpawnSound plays that woowawoo sound! In vanilla Doom! Amazing!!!!!

{SPR_BOSF,32768,3,{A_SpawnSound},S_SPAWN2,0,0},	// S_SPAWN1
    {SPR_BOSF,32769,3,{A_SpawnFly},S_SPAWN3,0,0},	// S_SPAWN2
    {SPR_BOSF,32770,3,{A_SpawnFly},S_SPAWN4,0,0},	// S_SPAWN3
    {SPR_BOSF,32771,3,{A_SpawnFly},S_SPAWN1,0,0},	// S_SPAWN4

Woah, it looks like the state S_SPAWN1 calls the A_SpawnSound function! In vanilla Doom!!!!!!!!!!1!!! Unbelievable!!!!!!

Wowee-wow, it seems that S_SPAWN1 is the spawn state of the spawn cube! In vanilla Doom!!?!!!!1!! Astounding!!!!oneoneone

Wowee-wow... the cube is... full-bright??? (32768+) Never knew that.

16 hours ago, Gez said:

int     quitsounds[8] =
{
    sfx_pldeth,
    sfx_dmpain,
    sfx_popain,
    sfx_slop,
    sfx_telept,
    sfx_posit1,
    sfx_posit3,
    sfx_sgtatk
};

int     quitsounds2[8] =
{
    sfx_vilact,
    sfx_getpow,
    sfx_boscub,
    sfx_slop,
    sfx_skeswg,
    sfx_kntdth,
    sfx_bspact,
    sfx_sgtatk
};

So, we have:

1. player death, demon pain, zombie/imp pain, gib sound, teleport, zombie wake up 1, zombie wake up 2, demon bite.

2. arch-vile idle, powerup pickup, boss cube flight, gib sound, revenant swing, knight death, arachnotron idle, and demon bite.

The wooaaoo sound is the boss cube flight indeed.

It happens that I already answered this question a month ago, but the vanilla code is still the best source.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:32 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

From the gzdoom.pk3 sndinfo.txt:

$random menu/quit1 { player/male/death1 demon/pain grunt/pain misc/gibbed misc/teleport grunt/sight1 grunt/sight3 demon/melee }
$random menu/quit2 { vile/active misc/p_pkup brain/cube misc/gibbed skeleton/swing knight/death baby/active demon/melee  }

Those are all the sounds that play when you quit the game. Most likely the sound being referenced here is skeleton/swing, which is the revenant's melee attack sound.

To define the others in the list:

menu/quit1: player death, demon/knight/caco pain, zombie/imp pain, XDeath gib sound, teleport, zombie sighted 1, zombie sighted 3, pinky attack

menu/quit2: vile active, powerup pickup, BossEye cube fired, XDeath again, revenant melee, knight death, arachnotron active, pinky attack again

On 8/12/2018 at 7:25 AM, Major Arlene said:

Half Life's engine is indirectly related to Doom's. When entertaining ideas for a new map I looked into Cry of Fear's texture file system, which incidentally uses a .wad file format to store textures. They can be viewed in Slade and converted into Doom format. 

On 8/12/2018 at 7:48 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

GoldSrc is actually based on the Quake engine, which used .wads and .paks. It's possible to open the various .pak files, and find wads stored within using an editor like Wally and edit them directly.

I learned this during my (short-lived) time doing rudimentary HL1 modding.

The wad files used by Quake or HL1 are not compatible with DOOM wads.  Their entries can be upto 16 characters long and each entry has extra information, like the type of the entry and compression.  They were mainly used for textures and other graphics.  It is unfortunate that they used the same file extension as DOOM wads.

54 minutes ago, andrewj said:

The wad files used by Quake or HL1 are not compatible with DOOM wads.  Their entries can be upto 16 characters long and each entry has extra information, like the type of the entry and compression.  They were mainly used for textures and other graphics.  It is unfortunate that they used the same file extension as DOOM wads.

Well, I’ve successfully converted Cry of Fear textures to Doom format using Slade. So long as you shorten the names you can use them. They don’t retain the exact same palette, they come out a little bit duller, but otherwise they’re fine to use so long as you convert them. 

You’d be correct in saying that the wad files by themselves are not usable, but it doesn’t mean that the entries are entirely unusable.

There was a DOOM movie!!!

I am sure i am not alone in this: It took me years, almost decades, to realize what the true eyes of the Cyberdemon were at. I only found out some years ago, my life was never the same.

16 hours ago, geo said:

There was a DOOM movie!!!

Yeah, a bit of a cult classic but I think Event Horizon holds up today

I leaned that the mancubus' three attack sequence is always the same.

1st shot: one fireball goes towards you, while the second goes to your right.

2nd shot: one fireball towards you and one to the left.

3rd shot: one fireball to left and one to the right.

How could I miss that one wow.

2 minutes ago, Dwaze said:

Yep, and Mr Romero has said the sequence was chosen because ID found most people sidestep to the right over left.

11 minutes ago, Vermil said:

Wow I always found mancubi a bit unpredictable, but actually they are not. Good stuff.

15 hours ago, Solmyr said:

Some texture missalignments in MAP 01 Congo from Plutonia.

Wow, and I thought this was egregious.

11 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

Wow, and I thought this was egregious.

I guess Map 01 of Plutonia has surpassed E3M4 in your book.  

38 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

The number 42 appears in the PRNG table twice.

So you are working on memorizing it after all? :P

2 minutes ago, Pegg said:

So you are working on memorizing it after all? :P

lol, no! I don't think it would do me any good anyway. Just had it open in a browser tab, so I decided to search the page for "42". :-P

On 8/9/2018 at 2:28 PM, Pegleg said:

But yes, slaughtermaps (at least, well-made ones) will force you to understand the array of enemies and how best to handle them.

How to best handle them?

Play with ROK.

58 minutes ago, NaZa said:

I think the computer panels in MAP02 of Doom II take the cake. 

I guess missalignments of computer panels are either tolerated or ignored by most players, in Doom 1 most rooms and mazes with computer panel textures all have missalignments.

34 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

lol, no! I don't think it would do me any good anyway. Just had it open in a browser tab, so I decided to search the page for "42". :-P

Not like it is possible to keep up with beside in TAS runs haha.

29 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

I guess missalignments of computer panels are either tolerated or ignored by most players, in Doom 1 most rooms and mazes with computer panel textures all have missalignments.

Those misalignment issues would be something new about Doom I just discovered. They're probably not easily noticed because I swear I never noticed them myself while playing in any Doom game, only in various PWADs :v .