Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

FLOOR4_8's (and 5_1's presumably) hexagons align perfectly with the 16 unit grid. Perfect for doing some detailing!

I found out the secret level exist to Level 32 in Doom 2 just 2 days ago and the secret level exist to E4M9 in The Ultimate Doom just 3 days ago.

I found out them by watching doom videos on youtube. I was unable to find out them without youtube videos.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:06 PM, KVELLER said:

FLOOR4_8's (and 5_1's presumably) hexagons align perfectly with the 16 unit grid. Perfect for doing some detailing!

Same for 5_2 and 5_3, too. (Well, basically 5_2 is just an acid-damaged version of 5_3.)
Also, FLOOR5_4 and FLAT8 have their tiles (tile gaps) on the exact same spots. This could help you as well. ;)

What I became aware of despite experiencing it every now and then, yet ignoring it constantly:
- The maps playing "The Demon's Dead" are always followed up by one having "The Healer Stalks" in Doom II.

I just found out that what I think Doom looks like (and have done for years) is wrong due to the aspect ratio. The fatter look on the left is so familiar (it's my mind's eye Doom) that the ratio on the right feels wrong, can't get used to it.

Doom95Comparison.png

The second one is actually the aberration. Before the DOS release there was a version for Next Computers which looked like the first. Afterwards id Software made the Jaguar port and fixed the aspect to resemble the first again.

2 minutes ago, Space Marinara said:

The second one is actually the aberration. Before the DOS release there was a version for Next Computers which looked like the first. Afterwards id Software made the Jaguar port and fixed the aspect to resemble the first again.

I'd like to believe that. I find the comparisons with box art / source sculptures on doomwiki quite convincing though, plus the point about the native resolution of the graphics app they used. What do you reckon?

33 minutes ago, Space Marinara said:

The second one is actually the aberration. Before the DOS release there was a version for Next Computers which looked like the first.

I don't know if i's actually true that the aspect ratio is wrong on the NeXT, but it's irrelevant. The product was the DOS version; the NeXT version was only used internally for development.

Tall pixels are necessary to make the art visually consistent with itself (see example of mancubus arm cannons that change their shape without aspect ratio correction) and with its physical sources (models and paintings).

One of the artists messed up the offsets in one of the screws (or whatever they are) in METAL2 (and derivatives).

rlUnFhY.png

That's a neat demonstration using the Mancubus' arm and probably explains why I prefer the ganglier Archvile too.

There are other elements which still indicate they were designed for a square aspect though. Check out the barrel exit of the Super shotgun in both modes:

SSG.png.8630800b297be141f8bfc98b3e6c1c14.png

The bottom barrel appears to be shorn off at an angle from the effect of narrowing. Then there's the Mastermind's chaingun which is oval shaped in-game instead of circular and even map architecture is altered from it's design.

It's beginning to seem like a real hodge podge actually X)

1 hour ago, Space Marinara said:

There are other elements which still indicate they were designed for a square aspect though. Check out the barrel exit of the Super shotgun in both modes:

SSG.png.8630800b297be141f8bfc98b3e6c1c14.png

Strangely enough, the shell looks better in the bottom image.

It could be a difference between Doom1/2? The SSG was added in Doom 2, perhaps id got lazy/forgetful and didn't correct it for the aspect ratio?

8 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Strangely enough, the shell looks better in the bottom image.

Yeah that's true. It's funny how they don't even seem like they're being held, but instead look sort of velcro'd on!

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

It could be a difference between Doom1/2? The SSG was added in Doom 2, perhaps id got lazy/forgetful and didn't correct it for the aspect ratio?

That doesn't explain the Spider Mastermind's chaingun though.

It's not present on the physical model (or rather, it's not the same as the one present on the physical model; not the same position: on the model the rotary cannon is embedded in the spiderbrain body, while on the final sprite it's part of the mechanical chassis). If it was drawn in DPaint, using this software's circle tool, the base shape would have logically ignored aspect ratio issues because the image editing software itself did not have a concept for this. It's the monitor that stretched the image, DPaint doesn't know how the monitor displays its images, it's not its business.

On 12/14/2018 at 9:01 PM, dmslr said:

It's just blue floor not water

e1m1.gif

You should see me swimming there everyday. "Not water" in my pool huh?

33 minutes ago, Gez said:

If it was drawn in DPaint, using this software's circle tool, the base shape would have logically ignored aspect ratio issues because the image editing software itself did not have a concept for this. It's the monitor that stretched the image, DPaint doesn't know how the monitor displays its images, it's not its business.

Ah so the tool was a fixed shape- interesting! That means that the Spiderdemon should look like the thinner variant of these two, with the maintained chaingun...

Master.gif.8af0bd4de683d6d448384a9b11abb1e2.gif

1 hour ago, elend said:

@KVELLER Can't... unsee... :(

Haha, I feel ya. I have a couple rooms in my map that use almost exclusively that texture, and now I'm tempted to fix the texture manually :P

I just found out that in Doom, when you battle a boss on ExM8 in coop and he dies while every player is dead, then the level's ending is not triggered. The result is that you're stuck on the level and there's no way to exit since you can't restart the level by dying like you can do in single player mode.

This is the code to blame.

4 hours ago, axdoomer said:

I just found out that in Doom, when you battle a boss on ExM8 in coop and he dies while every player is dead, then the level's ending is not triggered. The result is that you're stuck on the level and there's no way to exit since you can't restart the level by dying like you can do in single player mode.

This is the code to blame.

This has happened to me on E1M8 in the 90's :D

Doom E3M6

There's a way to avoid opening the Cacodemon/Lost Soul trap/building (that contains a Soulsphere) near the section with the secret exit/teleporter leading to the Y-shaped building.

In the marble green building that contains the hidden teleporter (with the hidden Energy Cell Pack directly across from it), directly follow the path leading to the hidden door WITHOUT crossing any of the steps that touch that path. So pretty much, don't change floor heights when getting to that teleporter. The walkover lines are all on the steps and not on that path itself.1

On 12/5/2018 at 8:27 PM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

So I know that the PC version and the PS1/PSX versions of DooM had slime trails but I was not aware this was the case for DooM 2 GBA. This is taken from MAP05: The Waste Tunnels.

GBADOOM2SLIMTROLE.png.edf4cb74b5a2b5e8646a7b399521a0b9.png

This could be one of two bugs. Most nodebuilders do not comput the angle for split walls correctly. The problem might noe lie in the engine, but in the nodebuilder. The engine is drawing incorrect data in a correct manner. In theory, this could be used for odd special effects. I can't think of any good use atm, but these kinds of peepholes are a possibility, they can be made bigger.

On 1/11/2018 at 3:44 PM, yakfak said:

if you have a DWANGO texture in your level you can manipulate it to write "wang gonad" on the wall

11 months after i tried to do it

Screenshot_Doom_20181221_183652.png.e38fa7ce12b198831f275fbe564efb93.png

On 12/18/2018 at 12:20 AM, Gez said:

It's not present on the physical model (or rather, it's not the same as the one present on the physical model; not the same position: on the model the rotary cannon is embedded in the spiderbrain body, while on the final sprite it's part of the mechanical chassis). If it was drawn in DPaint, using this software's circle tool, the base shape would have logically ignored aspect ratio issues because the image editing software itself did not have a concept for this. It's the monitor that stretched the image, DPaint doesn't know how the monitor displays its images, it's not its business.

they used dpaint  on dos in the same video mode as they were targeting with doom in order to address aspect issues.