Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

33 minutes ago, Gothic said:

If you give a projectile -1 damage with dehacked, this is what happens (tested on Crispy Doom)

9S1kV4g.png

Doom: LSD Edition.

Anyways, I feel like a technical explaination could help and make this thing kind of more interesting.

Well the damage is linked to a palette swap based on severity. An educated guess: It's likely trying to swap to a palette which doesn't exist, so it's reading garbage data as a palette and here's your result

1 hour ago, Cacodemon345 said:

I feel like a technical explaination could help and make this thing kind of more interesting.

My guess would be that the unexpected out of bounds value causes the engine to write to the wrong memory address, which happens to be something to do with the colour table. I'm not an expert though, so this might be wrong.

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Well the damage is linked to a palette swap based on severity. An educated guess: It's likely trying to swap to a palette which doesn't exist, so it's reading garbage data as a palette and here's your result

There abouts. The damage flash counter ends up adding a negative value, in turn becoming a negative value (assuming damagecount is 0 at the time). The value then keeps counting down from -1 so it gets stuck like this for a while, or until you receive enough damage to push it back to positive. The status bar then tries to set the palette based on this value, which given that it's negative, means that it starts reading palette data well before the beginning of the actual palette array. Eventually if left long enough, the game will crash as it tries to read past protected memory when that inevitably wraps around.

Boom has its own cheat codes, and not exactly a very recent discovery of mine, but you can get a backpack in MAP02 of Doom 2

Press CTRL+F9 in gzdoombuilder and it lets test the map from current position.. Now I'm wondering what other helpful commands I'm not aware of.

Again found that CTRL+ALT+G sets dynamic grid on. Sometimes I somehow put if off.

9 hours ago, Juza said:

Boom has its own cheat codes, and not exactly a very recent discovery of mine, but you can get a backpack in MAP02 of Doom 2

Wait there's a backpack there? I never knew this?

9 hours ago, Juza said:

No you can't. There's no such thing in MAP02.

2 minutes ago, Rathori said:

No you can't. There's no such thing in MAP02.

Damn I got bamboozled.

Every time I look at IWAD maps I can't get over how simple they are. It's wonderful. I really need to step down and do something truly retro one day. :)

Yeah, a few hours ago I looked at a map27 and was baffled at how simple it looks from above. But it feels so huge! I expected the library to be about twice as complex, too.

Oops, idk why everytime I think of MAP02, The Gantlet is what comes to mind, guess it's because the actual MAP02 isn't very memorable for me

I've been working on a map02 (underhalls) tribute map in wadc for over 12 years 

On 12/23/2018 at 8:48 AM, Dragonfly said:

Every time I look at IWAD maps I can't get over how simple they are. It's wonderful. I really need to step down and do something truly retro one day. :)

Heh, when it comes to things you recently notice about IWAD maps, finishing out the Shadow of the Serpent Riders walkthrough on Doom Wiki made me realize just how little of a damn the map designers at Raven Software gave about the "don't put required progression behind a secret" thing.  I always remember the point at which there's a mandatory secret in the Dungeons level of Hexen, but Heretic actually had a lot of them, though usually textured with fairly "SUSPICIOUS WALL HERE" choices at least.

Edited by ETTiNGRiNDER

It's not exactly finding out but I recently noticed that the Soulsphere and the Blur sphere hover at the same height yet the Megasphere is hovering a tiny bit lower than those items. Also the Invulnerability sphere is actually on the ground.

doom01.png

52 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

just how little of a damn the map designers at Raven Software gave about the "don't put required progression behind a secret" thing

i always thought that this rule is at least weakened for H/H. after all, we are expecting to search for secret passages in  such setting.

It would definitely explain Hexen II, which is quite close to just being a stud-finder simulator, having the player bang a hammer endlessly against walls.

In vanilla doom, in order to use BrainSpit (the action that spits out those demon spawn cubes from IoS battles), BrainAwake has to be called first since on top of playing BOSSIT, it apparently also initializes the spawn target list, yet Whacked thought it would be much more helpful to leave that extremely crucial piece of information out of the tooltip for the action.

Trying to call BrainSpit without having called BrainAwake crashes chocolate doom to desktop without an error, and because this behavior was changed in most other ports such as pr/glboom+ (probably because having to call the action just to initialize the spawn list seems more like a nuisance nowadays), it took me quite a while to figure out. heck.

There's this little area in MAP14 of Doom 2 that starts a crusher in the room nearby, and also allows you to close the door. It's seems to be a trap for deathmatch.

hello there.png

I saw Tim Willits's former home a few months ago, though I didn't realize at the time.

He put his address in the textfiles when he first released his Raven series. It just happens to be pretty much right on one of my near-ish-by walking trails in Battle Creek Regional Park.

Doom II Map11

When you teleport up to that ledge with the Soulsphere at the end of the level, you can turn back around and drop back down into the area near the end of the level. I always jumped back onto the main circle and worked all the way back to the end of the level.

Also Doom II Map 11:

Picking up the Red Key opens up a teleporter in the toxic pit to the left of the Blue Door. The teleporter brings you to that higher ledge where the Energy Cell Packs are near the Red Key. I never knew about this teleporter, I always took the cave in the toxic pit to the left of the entrance to the Blue Key area.

Edited by peach freak

On 12/22/2018 at 1:02 PM, Gothic said:

If you give a projectile -1 damage with dehacked, this is what happens (tested on Crispy Doom)

[SCREENSHOT]

After trying this myself, and raising my health above 200%, I found that health bonuses will actually bring you back down to 200%. I assume there's a line of code telling the game to set your health back to 200 if you go above when you pick up an item like a bonus or a soulsphere.

EDIT: Also, setting it to ridiculously low numbers like -300 will actually pull you toward the attacker, instead of knocking you away like normal damage would.

EDIT2: Hilariously, this applies to monsters hitting each other as well. I had a great time IDFA-ing three times to get enough BFG ammo to take down this one shotgun sergeant on MAP02. :P

Which gives me an idea. Since MBF wads seem to be all the rage nowadays, I have an idea for a scenario... if you spawn some friendly DEHACKED things which continually spam projectiles which deal negative damage, and set up the map so that they are alerted to a monster when you arrive (probably by having that monster be alone, before others arrive), you could have a cool boss fight where you have to take out these "healing turrets" before killing the boss. 

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

19 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

EDIT: Also, setting it to ridiculously low numbers like -300 will actually pull you toward the attacker, instead of knocking you away like normal damage would.

I feel like this idea can be used for a harpoon-based weapon/enemy for a mod...

Probably not. For one, to apply enough force to create an effect similar to, say, Strife's Loremaster, you would have to give the player tons of health (300+) per hit, which doesn't make for a very menacing boss. :P Besides that, there's obviously the aforementioned palette mess. It shouldn't be possible to add a PLAYPAL for negative damage because I don't think the vanilla engine can add palettes to PLAYPAL.

14 hours ago, Juza said:

There's this little area in MAP14 of Doom 2 that starts a crusher in the room nearby, and also allows you to close the door. It's seems to be a trap for deathmatch.

Also, some of the walls in the corridor have lower unpegged, seemingly accidently set, meaning they move with the crusher.

Not to mention one of the windows lacks impassible lines, though this one isn't an issue because players can't fit through the gap.

17 hours ago, Juza said:

hello there.png

Apparently it was a trap made specifically for John Romero. The crusher room contains a rocket launcher, which is John Romero's favorite weapon.

1 hour ago, Scypek2 said:

Apparently it was a trap made specifically for John Romero. The crusher room contains a rocket launcher, which is John Romero's favorite weapon.

Lol those clever jerks.

On 12/27/2018 at 7:43 AM, Scypek2 said:

I wonder if he ever got caught by it? He seems like the type who would laugh and take it well, even though he was swearing vengeance upon whomever pressed the button to start the crusher and on American McGee for designing it.

Speaking of Romero ...

This may have been mentioned somewhere in the previous 234 pages, but I didn't take the time to read through all of them, but it's new to me.

The Romero Head has a pain chance of 99.61% (see the Doomwiki entry on the matter). It has no attack, so what's the point of it not having a 100% pain chance? And what does the possibility of not being stunned by damage even mean when you don't have an attack? Incidentally, the Keen, which also has no attack, has a 100% pain chance.