Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

In the original three episodes of Heretic, there were only two level titles that didn't begin with "The": "Hell's Maw" and "D'Sparil's Keep".  On the other hand, none of the E4 or E5 map titles begin with "The".

17 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Speaking of Romero ...

This may have been mentioned somewhere in the previous 234 pages, but I didn't take the time to read through all of them, but it's new to me.

The Romero Head has a pain chance of 99.61% (see the Doomwiki entry on the matter). It has no attack, so what's the point of it not having a 100% pain chance? And what does the possibility of not being stunned by damage even mean when you don't have an attack? Incidentally, the Keen, which also has no attack, has a 100% pain chance.

It does make a (very small) difference. If the head doesn't enter its pain state, it doesn't scream in pain. I don't know why this would be desirable, though.

I just found out that there's NeXTSTEP code in the Atari Jaguar Doom source code. I didn't read the whole thing yet, but there may be more leftovers.

Patch SW18_7 (one of the STARTAN component patches) is duplicated in DOOM2.WAD.

You can lower this wall in MAP05 by just pressing the use key on it. This gives you access to the Plasma Rifle very early on the level, but silly me always used the green torch when I was almost at the end.

nfdSyqc.png

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

You can lower this wall in MAP05 by just pressing the use key on it. This gives you access to the Plasma Rifle very early on the level, but silly me always used the green torch when I was almost at the end.

nfdSyqc.png

Lol I did the same thing. Nice find.

11 hours ago, KVELLER said:

nfdSyqc.png

I've never known about this secret. The wonders of casually ignoring them me thinks.

57 minutes ago, dmslr said:

This has always been the sound of nearby imp

When I was about a kid and I first played Doom I thought the Soulsphere was making that noise. It was on E1M3 when you saw it through a window. XD

16 hours ago, KVELLER said:

nfdSyqc.png

I knew about that wall, but what is this about a green torch?

1 hour ago, Empyre said:

I knew about that wall, but what is this about a green torch?

In the room between the two red doors, there are two green torches. If you use the one next to the window, it lowers the wall and the lift that gives access to the PR area.

"Random Sound Pitch" was actually a feature present in vanilla Doom, not something added by most if not all source ports.

I always thought it was just a feature people decided to implement in most (all?) source ports for whatever reason, well it turns out it was present in vanilla Doom up until version 1.4 which broke something, the issue went undetected, and was ultimately never officially fixed by id, the blame was put on DMX. Surprisingly, this issue appears not to be present in a number of re-releases of classic Doom.

I've had some fun with the feature in Crispy today and it really changes (maybe even enhances) the whole experience (the Possessed death sounds aren't as funny as they are with it disabled :v). It also seems to affect the sounds of the weapons and made me question whether I had an older version than 1.4 back when I first played Doom on a Win 98 machine, but I'm pretty sure I did not, I remember the improved Lost Souls sprites up to this day. Besides, stuff already sounded different on a Sound Blaster and mono speakers, so I most likely wouldn't have been able to remember or determine whether it was present or not anyway (thankfully I remember the Lost Souls, so at least I know it was a version newer than 1.666).

Edited by Agent6

At the time, the blame wasn't put on the API change, it was just assumed it was a bug in DMX itself.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

At the time, the blame wasn't put on the API change, it was just assumed it was a bug in DMX itself.

Well, that's what I meant, I suppose it just didn't translate well into the post, again. Eh.

How did this feature work back in the day? Was it something you could toggle on and off in vanilla?

4 minutes ago, Gez said:

No, it was always on.

Oh wow, now that's huge, I can only image the people's reaction when that suddenly went away accidentally with version 1.4 since it really changed the overall experience. Monster sounds, weapons, even Doomguy's seem to be altered by the feature.

Speaking of which, this page still mentions it was "caused by a bug in DMX":

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Versions_of_Doom_and_Doom_II

• "No more random sound pitch. (This was not an intentional change, but a bug introduced in DMX.)" 

"While the change in the number of parameters prevented compilation until the source code was updated, this update was done poorly by id Software and the positioning and pitch change values were swapped in every call to these functions. Since all the parameters after the first are the same type of variables (int), the mistake does not prevent compilation and remained therefore undetected. As a result, the disappearance of random pitch changes was blamed on a bug in DMX."

I take pride in having written the pitch shifting code in choco/crispy, so glad you enjoy it!

1 hour ago, Jon said:

I take pride in having written the pitch shifting code in choco/crispy, so glad you enjoy it!

It's definitely something I appreciated when it got added in, since the feature never got lost from Heretic/Hexen and I'm used to hearing it there.

14 hours ago, Jon said:

I was about to say that it seems to work different in every port. Retro, Crispy, PrBoom+, they all seem to be doing it differently. Out of all it's most subtle in PrBoom+ whereas Crispy (and probably Choco as well) has very noticeable pitch shifting.

5 hours ago, Agent6 said:

I was about to say that it seems to work different in every port. Retro, Crispy, PrBoom+, they all seem to be doing it differently. Out of all it's most subtle in PrBoom+ whereas Crispy (and probably Choco as well) has very noticeable pitch shifting.

Yes they are all independent implementations. For chocolate, I did spend some time reverse engineering doom 1.2 to try and get the total range of variance to match. How successful I was is in the ear of the beholder.  If you are curious my notes are here and here

On 1/4/2019 at 5:59 PM, TakenStew22 said:

When I was about a kid and I first played Doom I thought the Soulsphere was making that noise. It was on E1M3 when you saw it through a window. XD

Omg I did the same thing.

On 1/4/2019 at 5:57 AM, KVELLER said:

nfdSyqc.png

This is well known for years, even no shortage of speedrunners have used this trick. So this is nothing new honestly. 

Plutonia map30 has a deathmatch arena for multiplayer completely separate from the main map.

jF24cmE.png

5 minutes ago, Jon said:

Yes they are all independent implementations. For chocolate, I did spend some time reverse engineering doom 1.2 to try and get the total range of variance to match. How successful I was is in the ear of the beholder.  If you are curious my notes are here and here

Gonna read that.

Well, as I've previously mentioned, compared to other implementations it's much more noticeable. I've spent quite some time playing stuff in PrBoom+ today and there's times you almost don't notice it, whereas it's very present in the others. In a way it's also the same, but much more "quiet" compared to how it's implemented in Retro, Choco, and Crispy (didn't check GZDoom and more). Or that might just be the fact that pitch shifting is from a different version in PrBoom+. You said you'd reversed-engineered it from v1.2, but v1.1 is mentioned in the settings of that port, and according to this list v1.2 appears to have included "Rewritten sound code".

It's best to know how it was meant to sound from the actual code anyway, safest way and, my guess is stuff already sounds different in a way or another on nowadays' hardware compared to how it did back in the day, so perhaps it's never going to sound 100% the same.

On 4/6/2018 at 1:00 AM, kb1 said:

That's my favorite Doom II level. No matter where you go, the monsters see you and come after you! Very awesome gameplay design. If you go further, you might notice a small sound-carrying tunnel near the ceiling.

One of my favs too and the map's music fits it perfectly.

2 hours ago, spd7693 said:

This is well known for years, even no shortage of speedrunners have used this trick. So this is nothing new honestly. 

It's certainly new for me. Isn't that the point of the thread?