Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Not Doom, but Heretic.

Apparently Heretic might have been planned to have jumping. I found this in the config file after creating it with SETUP.EXE.

mouseb_fire        0
mouseb_strafe        1
mouseb_forward        2
mouseb_jump        -1

However after you launch the game the line is removed.

Thought it was interesting.

-1 means no button is assigned to the action. Tried manually binding a button to it but like I said once you launch the game it gets nullified.

11 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

Thanks to me just screwing around with various ZDoom commands, I learned that if you were able to get in front of a rocket you fired, it will not hit you and will just keep on going its merry way. I am going to try this with Chocolate Doom, E2M2, and the turbo parameter to see if I can recreate it there.

UPDATE: Yeah, rockets just plain ignore you. The only thing they can hurt you with is splash damage.

I seem to remember doing this in Doom many years ago, firing a rocket and chasing it to see if I could catch up with it. If I'm not mistaken, the player's running speed is slightly faster than the rocket's?

5 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I seem to remember doing this in Doom many years ago, firing a rocket and chasing it to see if I could catch up with it. If I'm not mistaken, the player's running speed is slightly faster than the rocket's?

It is, with strafe-running you ran outrun your own rockets.

11 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

Thanks to me just screwing around with various ZDoom commands, I learned that if you were able to get in front of a rocket you fired, it will not hit you and will just keep on going its merry way. I am going to try this with Chocolate Doom, E2M2, and the turbo parameter to see if I can recreate it there.

UPDATE: Yeah, rockets just plain ignore you. The only thing they can hurt you with is splash damage.

All projectiles ignore their owner, otherwise they'd hit you the moment you fired them. This is true for both players and enemies.

It's tracked by mobj so you can still hit voodoo dolls.

4 hours ago, Katars said:

Boss cubes emit some creepy bass sound. (DSBOSCUB)

It is also one of the sounds you randomly hear when you quit Doom.

11 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Voodoo dolls are treated as separate objects by the engine

yeah. in doom, there is "player object" and "player mobile object". the former holds some player state (various counters, including health count to show on status bar), and the later is what is actually placed into the map (and it has its own health counter, and doom has special code to sync player object/player mobile health). there is a two-way connection between those objects: player object is linked to player mobile, and player mobile is linked to player object. note the unorthogonality here: player object can only be linked to one player mobile. that is what allows to have voodoo dolls.

when doom is processing player input, it is using "player -> mobile" link to choose what mobile to move -- that's why voodoo dolls are not affected by that movement. but when something is damaging any player mobile (main, or a doll), it goes in different direction, propagating doll health back to player object. it is the same for activating various specials.

so, "voodoo doll" is a surprisingly good name for such things: dolls can affect their "owner", but not vice versa. ;-)

and when some mobile object is firing projectile, that projectile is marked as "owned" by that mobile. so when player is firing a rocket, that rocket cannot hit "main" mobile, but can hit voodoo doll. and when player is respawned, they get brand new mobile too -- so that new mobile is not own fired rocked anymore, and can be hit.

p.s.: and yes, thecnically player object can be linked to any monster mobj, so you can possess monsters. the engine is not fully ready for this, but it is almost there. ;-)

Edited by ketmar

9 hours ago, UNERXAi said:

Not Doom, but Heretic.

Apparently Heretic might have been planned to have jumping. I found this in the config file after creating it with SETUP.EXE.

mouseb_fire        0
mouseb_strafe        1
mouseb_forward        2
mouseb_jump        -1

However after you launch the game the line is removed.

Thought it was interesting.

This might be caused by Hexen support code in SETUP.EXE.

A way to check would be to get one of the oldest install package of Heretic one can find (for a shareware demo), from before Hexen was announced, and see if the SETUP.EXE from that creates the mouseb_jump line.

3 hours ago, Empyre said:

It is also one of the sounds you randomly hear when you quit Doom.

Holy shit, I've always wondered what that sound was without making the connection.

there should be a compat option for that in ZD. I believe friction on monsters isn't a stock Boom feature, but was added in MBF and therefore also absorbed by PrBoom+

2 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Friction slows down monsters in PRBOOM but not in ZDoom.

Actually, Prboom screwed up some aspects of Boom's friction code, but this was fixed in Prboom+.

15 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Actually, Prboom screwed up some aspects of Boom's friction code, but this was fixed in Prboom+.

I meant PRBoom-plus, actually. Monsters are affected by friction in this engine.

IIRC, terrain effects don't affect monsters in Boom, but do in MBF. Monsters shouldn't be affected by friction if you use the Boom complevel.

Wow, that's a nice detail there. Don't feel dumb at all for not noticing something relatively subtle that's only visible in one specific frame, though :P

On 3/23/2019 at 8:33 PM, ketmar said:

p.s.: and yes, thecnically player object can be linked to any monster mobj, so you can possess monsters. the engine is not fully ready for this, but it is almost there. ;-)

Ok, you got my attention - woah! What could that be used for?

Just found out if you kill a Romero head and then are killed yourself in the explosions, and there is another level following, the level will end and you will start the next one at a pistol start. 

On 3/26/2019 at 1:32 AM, kb1 said:

Ok, you got my attention - woah! What could that be used for?

monsters-vs-players team deathmatch, for example. ;-) or some "possess monster" artifact, so player can initiate infighting in some monster crowds. or another 9e+3 possibilities people will think out, i won't even try to guess. ;-)

39 minutes ago, ketmar said:

monsters-vs-players team deathmatch, for example. ;-) or some "possess monster" artifact, so player can initiate infighting in some monster crowds. or another 9e+3 possibilities people will think out, i won't even try to guess. ;-)

Maybe you could lead your army into battle: by possessing one of the soldiers, he becomes a general! And, once he dies, you can possess another solider! Like a 3D Command and Conquer where you can also fight! It's cool to think that the game almost supports it, out of the box.

On 3/23/2019 at 3:31 AM, LadyVader1138 said:

Note, however, if you shoot a rocket, die, and then spawn in the path of said rocket, it will smack you right upside your forehead, as the original "owner" died, and your body is now in possession as a new "person." The check Edward850 mentioned will then fail (you're no longer the same "owner") and so the rocket will treat you like any other mobj and detonate on impact.

I was bored so I decided to download NUTS.wad just to see how slow it would be if I set resolution and screen size to minimum. I booted it it and I heard the music. While I have also just learned that it is actually "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin, my first thought was a song with the same music and it's from Godzilla: the Album.

Oh, if you were curious, at 320x200 resolution and the minimum screen size on GZDoom, it runs just fine on my five-year-old MacBook Pro, so that's cool.

Edited by LadyVader1138

17 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

I was bored so I decided to download NUTS.wad just to see how slow it would be if I set resolution and screen size to minimum. I booted it it and I heard the music. While I have also just learned that it is actually "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin, my first thought was a song with the same music and it's from Godzilla: the Album.

Oh, if you were curious, at 320x200 resolution and the minimum screen size on GZDoom, it runs just fine on my five-year-old MacBook Pro, so that's cool.

You'll have a better time with nuts.wad on a source port actually designed to handle it, like PRBoom+. GZDoom is about the slowest port to chuck a slaughter-map on.

17 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

Fire once while looking in the direction of the enemies.

Still run just fine?

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

Fire once while looking in the direction of the enemies.

Still run just fine?

Nooooo, I just stood there. Of COURSE I fired. I held down the fire button with the BFG (I had infinite ammo on as this wasn't serious) nearly the entire time. I even looked at the FPS the entire time. It ran just fine.

7 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

Nooooo, I just stood there. Of COURSE I fired. I held down the fire button with the BFG (I had infinite ammo on as this wasn't serious) nearly the entire time. I even looked at the FPS the entire time. It ran just fine.

Hm. What would be the effective resolution of the game with a minimum screenblocks size then? Something like 96x60?

3 is the minimum, 10 is the maximum (11 just removes the hud), so 10 would be the "full" 320x200. That means each step is 32x20, and since 3 is the minimum, that means 96x60 must be the effective rez.

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Hm. What would be the effective resolution of the game with a minimum screenblocks size then? Something like 96x60?

3 is the minimum, 10 is the maximum (11 just removes the hud), so 10 would be the "full" 320x200. That means each step is 32x20, and since 3 is the minimum, that means 96x60 must be the effective rez.

That sounds about right. It was the size of a postage stamp on my screen.