Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Apparently Doom's RNG is more complicated than I thought. So that's why I sometimes deal damage when I'm on a damage floor but still have the rad suit on.

6 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Which of course is some serious bullshit.

I take it you've never played D&D before.

9 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I take it you've never played D&D before.

This is the truest thing ever. Especially as a week ago, I watched the DM and one party member roll 1s constantly.

17 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Which of course is some serious bullshit.

The UAC opened gates to Hell. You think they could design a suit that would perfectly protect you from toxic slime, blood, AND lava? PUH-LEEZE!

Even though I agree and think it's bullshit too...

7 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

The UAC opened gates to Hell. You think they could design a suit that would perfectly protect you from toxic slime, blood, AND lava? PUH-LEEZE!

Even though I agree and think it's bullshit too...

They developed a suit that deteriorates in 30 seconds. Clearly, they weren't going for quality.

They bought an inferior design in bulk for a lower price, completely ignoring occupational health and safety standards in favor of saving money.  The UAC are despicable.  

Tell me about it.  They even make their employees walk through a river of it right at the entrance to the Phobos Lab, I have a right mind to report them on this

56 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

They developed a suit that deteriorates in 30 seconds. Clearly, they weren't going for quality.

Joke's on you! Those are those StarStruct Inc. suits.

UAC ones last 60 seconds, twice as long! 

Wow, I never realised how much stuff was randomized in DOOM. Or how big an impact it has on how the game looks and feels even if you exclude the monster behaviour and damage variation.

The RNg on monster behavior gives the game a lot of replayability. You won't play the same thing twice, even if you execute the same things; Very unlikely you'll do it frame perfectly that a monster won't consume extra numbers and change the future!

I've always wondered if the faulty radsuit effect was intentional. It seemed like such a low weird chance.

I didn't know about the chance for the chaingunner to keep shooting even when you're out of vision. That also sounds unintentional, but if it's specifically calling the rng for it then I guess its intended?

chaingunners seems to not be the smartest beings in the universe. also, i guess some of them took that work just because they love to shoot from big guns. so sometimes they just playing that card: "i've just seen him! he may return soon, so keep shooting!" after all, they have Secret Infinite Ammo Device, so why not.

It actually makes more sense to keep shooting for a bit, Suppressing fire\covering fire consumes way more ammo than killing shots, them stopping after a couple of shots is what doesn't make a lot of sense.. But they are zombies\possessed so intelligence isn't expected.

1 hour ago, EANB said:

I've always wondered if the faulty radsuit effect was intentional. It seemed like such a low weird chance.

Considering it had to be specifically coded to be "leaky" I have to imagine it was intentional.

On 9/24/2011 at 9:19 AM, Hellbent said:

That on E2M6 there is no ceil height difference when ceil textures change at the entrance of the dark area (it goes from light gray to wood). And that I was wrong about the plasma rifle only being attainable via secrets in the entire game (sans that addon episode released after Doom 2). You can get it in the dark area without finding a secret. But this is the only place in all of Doom. (The plasma rifle on E3M6 is technically in a secret sector).

Doesn't E2M5 have a plasma gun found in a non-secret area? I think it's on a platform that requires a bridge to be raised via a switch to access, but the area itself isn't tagged as a secret.

35 minutes ago, drygnfyre said:

Doesn't E2M5 have a plasma gun found in a non-secret area? I think it's on a platform that requires a bridge to be raised via a switch to access, but the area itself isn't tagged as a secret.

That's correct.

Fireballs using sound of rocket explosion in Sega Saturn version

Just recently found out if you collect the blue armor, then later the green armor (if your armor rating falls below 100%), it works against you since you revert to the 30% damage reduction. I simply never noticed this (mainly from playing God mode so much).

8 minutes ago, drygnfyre said:

Just recently found out if you collect the blue armor, then later the green armor (if your armor rating falls below 100%), it works against you since you revert to the 30% damage reduction. I simply never noticed this (mainly from playing God mode so much).

33% damage reduction. Green is one-third, blue is one-half.

I learned that Heretic's Enchanted Shield is better than Doom's a while back, with 75% damage reduction as opposed to the blue armor's fifty.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:52 PM, drygnfyre said:

Yes, but to be technical, it does require traveling over a secret sector to reach it (that hallway that opens up in the nukage/vine area).

Same thing for the Chainsaw, it's technically found in a non-secret area first in E1M7, but it does require going to a secret area and hitting a switch to open it up. The Chainsaw can be first found in E2M6 without purely needing to cross any secret areas.

Spoiler

Serpents.png.442d7bef558e00857b044c58425a71c9.png

This is silly and over-reaching but D'sparils serpent's back isn't as spiky as the ones that follow Korax. Either D'sparil actually takes care of his serpent -or most likely enslaves someone to do so- or it is actually a different breed and not just a super strong serpent (Although they were kinda lazy aside from removing D'sparils feet and staff, which was done terribly and makes the serpents right arm look mutilated -not shown in image-) 

Seeing as Korax has similar spikes to his serpent he has some explaining to do about how he breeds serpents.. Or if he was cloning himself using the chaos sphere.

D'sparil is sitting on the top spike... (ouch)

Is D'sparil's serpent taller and wider, as well?

5 hours ago, Pegg said:

Seeing as Korax has similar spikes to his serpent he has some explaining to do about how he breeds serpents.. Or if he was cloning himself using the chaos sphere.

Picture the Heresiarch riding the black Chaos Serpent that became Korax in the finished game; that would have been the original plan before they decided to make things different from Heretic.

When you finish Heretic, you see what was then Korax watching over your victory against D'Sparil in a crystal ball. Makes more sense if it's the next Serpent Rider watching than if it's just some random Heresiarch underling.

They never cared much for continuity or consistency.