Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:51 PM, Vermil said:

certain triggers can transfer sector properties to adjacent sectors, meaning you can increase number of secret sectors in a map while playing it.

So lemme get this right, the lowering wall is the secret sector, and lowering it to the ground turns the surrounding floor of the room into another secret sector, which I then walk on and tag both, making the game count it as finding 2 of the 1 secrets, giving me 200%? 

(Sorry to sound pedantic on this, but this particular quirk fascinates me)

In GZDoom open the console and type Bind Home "Map *" you now have a dedicated pistol start button. I have been using a dedicated wad to get this feature so I didn't have to screw with Chocolate doom.

3 hours ago, Odorousbag87 said:

In GZDoom open the console and type Bind Home "Map *" you now have a dedicated pistol start button. I have been using a dedicated wad to get this feature so I didn't have to screw with Chocolate doom.

that is very nice!

6 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

So lemme get this right, the lowering wall is the secret sector, and lowering it to the ground turns the surrounding floor of the room into another secret sector, which I then walk on and tag both, making the game count it as finding 2 of the 1 secrets, giving me 200%? 

(Sorry to sound pedantic on this, but this particular quirk fascinates me)

No, the other way around. If the outer sector has the secret, it will be transferred to the lowering sector once its type changes (normally used to change its texture to a liquid and make it damaging.)

BTW, in ZDoom this bug has been fixed many, many years ago because it breaks the secret counter in one of Heretic's IWAD maps.

8 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

If the outer sector has the secret, it will be transferred to the lowering sector once its type changes (normally used to change its texture to a liquid and make it damaging.)

I dug the WAD up and checked, and I must say, sir, this is a thing about Doom I just found out!!

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

It was either that or the Silence Of The Lambs dance.  I think I made the correct choice. 

Now I want to see the Silence of the Lambs dance :) Is that the one with Hannibal in the cage with the classical music?

"Mind the drawings..."

11 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

No, the one where Buffalo Bill tucks his junk between his legs. 

Oh, fuck, I think I blocked that one out of my memory! Nope, don't want to see that one - ugh.

Yes, you chose wisely, sir.

The heavy weapon dude's sprites are based on horizontally-stretched space marine sprites.

I learned about that from this video.

On 4/27/2019 at 12:06 PM, Walter confetti said:

But... Where? I always thought that it was based upon drugs addiction, over the fact that it was wrote 3 years before Doom was even a idea in the mind of carmack and romero ... I have to check the lyrics if something will gave the impression that somehow Underhalls is based on this song...

Sorry for double post!

On 4/27/2019 at 9:27 PM, Maximum Matt said:

"Under the bridge downtown/is where I drew some blood,

Under the bridge downtown/I could not get enough

Under the bridge downtown/forgot the blue keycard

Under the bridge downtown/I gave my life away"

See? Clear as day.

I also just realized this could be also seen as a tribute to map13, in a certain way. Anthony Keidis is a lyrical genius. 

On 4/27/2019 at 10:05 PM, Dark Pulse said:

You fool! That's a tribute to Downtown, not Underhalls!

@Maximum Matt unless there's a second version of this song then your claim doesn't exist, sorry. Check link for lyrics.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/redhotchilipeppers/underthebridge.html

Have you ever really looked closely at the details in the cover of Doom? There's some pretty crazy stuff going on.

It features, in no particular order of importance, a man you dont play wearing clothes you dont wear (whats with his midriff?) shooting demons you never encounter with a gun you can't obtain, in an environment (the surface of mars) you never traverse. Meanwhile, in the background, is his friend you don't meet. It's pretty wild how little it has to do with Doom despite still, definitely, having everything to do with Doom. It's the distilled Doom essence without featuring a single specific piece of Doom iconography. Wild.

The in-game player sprites show the marine wearing armor and a helmet.  The status bar mug is the player's face inside the helmet.  The marine's midriff is visible on the cover because his shirt is torn.

16 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

The in-game player sprites show the marine wearing armor and a helmet.  The status bar mug is the player's face inside the helmet.  The marine's midriff is visible on the cover because his shirt is torn.

I refer to the in game player sprites when I say the man on the cover isnt the Doom marine...their respective outfits look nothing like each other. Cover guy's tear is perfectly symmetrical which seems like a weird choice for a tear, and he seems to be wearing a shirt (assuming hes wearing any armor at all and those arent just his pecs) over his armor (???) and beyond that he's wearing gloves 

1863008108_doomguycovervstitle.jpg.35e96a1709f203966109a2862ad666ff.jpg

In the original cover art, you can clearly tell that it is armor with a torn shirt underneath it.  Interestingly, in the in-game title art his shirt is brown, is torn differently, and appears to have more blood on it.

1 minute ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Interestingly, in the in-game title art his shirt is brown

It's also torn differently, less jagged. That's sort of strange. theres enough seemingly pointless changes that  I'd wonder if they redid it from scratch for the cover if not for how the shotgun is clearly just placed on top of the drawing of his hand...or not, its strange. Two of what looks a little like wrinkles or scratches on his shoulder are also turned into little, like, copper tubes?

4 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

you can clearly tell that it is armor with a torn shirt underneath it

Is it armor though? It has wrinkles across the chest and at his side sort of bagging down in both iterations, which strike me as weird for armor plating. Either way I mean hes wearing an oxygen mask, I assume because hes on mars, but hes wearing like, green jeans. There's so much going on with this cover its insane.

4 hours ago, EtherBot said:

Is it armor though? It has wrinkles across the chest and at his side sort of bagging down in both iterations, which strike me as weird for armor plating. Either way I mean hes wearing an oxygen mask, I assume because hes on mars, but hes wearing like, green jeans. There's so much going on with this cover its insane.

Those aren't wrinkles, they're just little armor accenting. Still doesn't explain the Earth-style tactical pants though.

14 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Speaking of the cover art, i never knew that Doomguy was actually John Romero until recently.

But... Romero is also the Icon of Sin, and...

...uh-oh...

D6gU4MPWsAASFOu.jpg

13 minutes ago, Super Benellus said:

That Final Doom was made from The Ultimate Doom

what

Edit:  Oh, I searched and apparently the engine was derived from The Ultimate DOOM's source.  Wow, I somehow didn't know that...

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

Guest Unregistered account

Making and running a level called ExMy, where x is a number higher than 4 in Chocolate Doom doesn't crash the game, and the map name reads "newlevel". However, making a level with a name where x is higher than 5 seems to start grabbing names from Doom 2's levels, which makes me think this wouldn't work in the original executable. Does anyone have an explanation?

On dimanche 2 juin 2019 at 10:05 AM, EtherBot said:

It's also torn differently, less jagged. That's sort of strange. theres enough seemingly pointless changes that  I'd wonder if they redid it from scratch for the cover if not for how the shotgun is clearly just placed on top of the drawing of his hand...or not, its strange. Two of what looks a little like wrinkles or scratches on his shoulder are also turned into little, like, copper tubes?

Here's an exercise: take a photo of the physical poster (print it out first if needed), then scale it down to 320x200, then convert it to the Doom palette, and finally manually clean it up pixel by pixel.

If there are details that change from the original, you'll get a good idea why.

1 hour ago, Kapanyo said:

Making and running a level called ExMy, where x is a number higher than 4 in Chocolate Doom doesn't crash the game, and the map name reads "newlevel". However, making a level with a name where x is higher than 5 seems to start grabbing names from Doom 2's levels, which makes me think this wouldn't work in the original executable. Does anyone have an explanation?

There's some placeholder data for an E5 for whatever reason. Why? I dunno, no one at id's ever mentioned anything about an official E5 back in the ultimate doom days. Doom 2 stuff cropping up is probably just because their names come after the definitions for the Doom 1 names.

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

If there are details that change from the original, you'll get a good idea why.

No I'm not confused why the pic itself is changed, in general, I'm just curious as to why the specific changes that were made were made. This also isnt me complaining. This is a "things i just found out" thread, im just pointing out the specific differences which i never noticed before.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:50 PM, EtherBot said:

No I'm not confused why the pic itself is changed, in general, I'm just curious as to why the specific changes that were made were made. This also isnt me complaining. This is a "things i just found out" thread, im just pointing out the specific differences which i never noticed before.

Proably contrast/resolution issues. When they downscaled it and were touching it up, it was probably hard to tell the undershirt wasn't part of the armor so they changed the color. The original tear pattern probably didn't translate well to lower resolution either.