Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I can't see the tutti-frutti (Might be my port) but that sky looks really weird when you point up like that.

Screenshot_Heretic_20190621_090701.png.9ef8c66f53b96fb3f0c2ea7dd6d5605d.png

I just found out/realized that many of the PAN(EL) textures start with the same patch that is TANROCK3.

Just found out that in zdoom the spider mastermind wakes up even if the player is behind it, no such thing happens in prboon, I don't know why is this difference but is not a minor issue when your sketching your gameplay.

5 hours ago, Magicana said:

I can't see the tutti-frutti (Might be my port) but that sky looks really weird when you point up like that.

Well, it wasn't designed with looking up at it in mind. It's Doom engine we're talking about, you weren't supposed to be able to do that.

7 minutes ago, Rathori said:

Well, it wasn't designed with looking up at it in mind. It's Doom engine we're talking about, you weren't supposed to be able to do that.

You can look up and down in vanilla Heretic, though.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:46 AM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

It's old, but not as old as Doom.  More Windows 9x era.  They still sell it on GOG last I checked.

I'm afraid of committing to another "time sink", as I'm so far behind in my work, but I am intrigued. And GOG is, of course awesome. Guess I'm going to have to check it out!

47 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

You can look up and down in vanilla Heretic, though.

You're right, I though it was Hexen that added it. But still Heretic only allowed looking up at a much smaller angle, like 30 or 45 degrees I think, so you couldn't see the sky the way it is in Magicana's screenshot.

Edited by Rathori

3 hours ago, Rathori said:

You're right, I though it was Hexen that added it. But still Heretic only allowed looking up at a much smaller angle, like 30 or 45 degrees I think, so you couldn't see the sky the way it is in Magicana's screenshot.

Very true. I went and had a look at the various Doom skies, and they all had the same effect. E3 probably has it looking the worst, E1 and E2 the best.

Even Sigil had the same effect. Probably because the Doom engine doesn't really like you looking in that direction.

Screenshot_Doom_20190621_183304.png.c10545a3dd8f336d93d402ef727ecfc2.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190621_183231.png.b65149bfb32d37156a8df189eea20ece.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190621_183154.png.1f7402e1945d137a6fe8140475fe3d20.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190621_183114.png.a8b7ed31c4cb674e39da67450cb40178.png

Guest Unregistered account

@DynamiteKaitorn I believe that's the result of Raven using a hacky method to increase the sky texture heights.

@Magicana This is an intended feature in OpenGL ports, where the sky fades to an average colour of the top row of pixels. The alternative is having the sky texture loop vertically, which is what happens in software renderers. And yes, it's because of the skies being designed without mouselook.

20 minutes ago, Kapanyo said:

@DynamiteKaitorn I believe that's the result of Raven using a hacky method to increase the sky texture heights.

@Magicana This is an intended feature in OpenGL ports, where the sky fades to an average colour of the top row of pixels. The alternative is having the sky texture loop vertically, which is what happens in software renderers. And yes, it's because of the skies being designed without mouselook.

I've learned something today. Not sure which I prefer...

Screenshot_Doom_20190621_212248.png.797fa686b8e6a1ef67d6ce5f7fe33407.png

Of course the fade out. Imho quite an elegant solution to a problem, that you can't "just fix". So... I like it.

17 hours ago, Magicana said:

Very true. I went and had a look at the various Doom skies, and they all had the same effect. E3 probably has it looking the worst, E1 and E2 the best.

Even Sigil had the same effect. Probably because the Doom engine doesn't really like you looking in that direction.

Screenshot_Doom_20190621_183304.png.c10545a3dd8f336d93d402ef727ecfc2.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190621_183231.png.b65149bfb32d37156a8df189eea20ece.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190621_183154.png.1f7402e1945d137a6fe8140475fe3d20.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190621_183114.png.a8b7ed31c4cb674e39da67450cb40178.png

Oh this is very cool - I quite elegant solution to skies that are not tall enough. It looks like it is averaging the colors near the top, and projecting a blurred-out area to extend the top of the skies.

EDIT: Oops, I should have read the next post - heh.

What port is this?

Regarding the skies: They are simply a 256x128 texture and not a skybox like in more modern games. Once you see past the 128 vertical units of the texture, it either repeats or fades out like in OpenGL mode. Some wads use HD skies which cover a lot more area, like Hell Ground or Epic 2 in GL mode.

Guest Unregistered account
17 hours ago, kb1 said:

What port is this?

I'm not sure but this effect can be seen in GZDoom, Zandronum's OpenGL renderer, and presumably tons of other hardware rendered port.

19 hours ago, kb1 said:

Oh this is very cool - I quite elegant solution to skies that are not tall enough. It looks like it is averaging the colors near the top, and projecting a blurred-out area to extend the top of the skies.

EDIT: Oops, I should have read the next post - heh.

What port is this?

1 hour ago, Kapanyo said:

I'm not sure but this effect can be seen in GZDoom, Zandronum's OpenGL renderer, and presumably tons of other hardware rendered port.

It was in GZDoom.

The repeating skies was in a software rendered version of Zandronum.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:27 AM, Spectre01 said:

Regarding the skies: They are simply a 256x128 texture and not a skybox like in more modern games. Once you see past the 128 vertical units of the texture, it either repeats or fades out like in OpenGL mode. Some wads use HD skies which cover a lot more area, like Hell Ground or Epic 2 in GL mode.

Yep. Doomsday has skybox support, and there are skybox packs, which I recall looked quite nice.

GZDoom (and Zandronum's GL mode, but not software mode) also has skybox support..

Just noticed this little rising sector in E1M7. Crazy that it took me over 20 years.

Screenshot_20190622-234030~2.png

Does this mean that the Cyberdemon is a Strogg? And the Shambler is an indigenous creature used as part of it's genetic makeup (:o

And that must be how they have a natural power source- Cyberdemon throw lightning bolts when?!

heh, i wondered how long it will take. no, it wasn't me who posted this, but i knew that shambler has no juicy butt.

4 hours ago, DELUXE said:

Important update on monster anatomy. I apologize for the misinfo, and regret to inform that the Shambler does not share the same textures that the Cyberdemon does. In fact, there is no rump on the poor creature whatsoever! This friendly Shambler from Scourge of Armagon turned his back on me to take care of some Vores, and that's when I noticed my error. Given that I said the original picture was from 4chan, the uploader of the image may have given his Shambler a personal buttock lift to satiate his own Lovecraftian fantasies.

Capture.PNG.ad78d75731bd2a869faf5d3d6a810348.PNG

@Maes will not be pleased.

8 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

@Maes will not be pleased.

Indeed. That rump looks more like a bear's or a tapir's.