Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I didn't just find this out, but I think it's really interesting how the Dilbert comic from December 10, 1993 is about demons and has a 666 joke:

image.png.a7a48f932427fdb9d7399abbcaf07227.png

There's a Plasma Rifle secret at the beginning of E4M6 behind a fake wall.

Mmmm, this opens up quite a few possibilities for my UV -fast playthrough.

Not something that I've literally just found out, but it came back to me recently when I had a go of my original PlayStation Doom disc on my PlayStation 3.

As everyone knows the PlayStation version has lighting effects and translucency, but it also has fullbright textures, e.g. the computer screens in the second pair of images (at top ZDoom, at bottom photographs of my PS3's monitor):

zdoomlighting.jpg

3NdS2EF.jpg

It really helps the atmosphere; Doom on the PC looks flat in comparison.

It looks squashed because I'm running my PlayStation on a 16:10 television, but it doesn't support that aspect ratio natively. Also, as you can see Map01 was modified just slightly to give the chainsaw area a ceiling, and turn it into a viewing platform instead of a balcony.

EDIT: Actually one thing I have just found out is that PlayStation doom has an "xray mode" cheat code that makes the walls translucent, so you can see baddies behind them. It even shows the skybox:

KVhVY5s.jpg

HHHHnjE.jpg

EDIT: And something else in the PlayStation version - if you try to open a door, and you don't have the right key, it shows a message on the screen and it flashes the key symbol on the status bar. Someone must have thought that was a good idea.

By god those screenshots are rough. The PlayStation 3 doesn't have a system-wide screenshot utility for DRM reasons. And HDMI itself has DRM as well so I literally have to photograph the screen.

Edited by Ashley_Pomeroy : X-ray vision

14 hours ago, Ashley_Pomeroy said:

EDIT: And something else in the PlayStation version - if you try to open a door, and you don't have the right key, it shows a message on the screen and it flashes the key symbol on the status bar. Someone must have thought that was a good idea.

The same thing happens in Doom 64

In Doom, there's apparently a message supposed to be shown when using the IDCLEV cheat:

d_englsh.h:

#define STSTR_CLEV		"Changing Level..."

st_stuff.c:

// 'clev' change-level cheat
    if (cht_CheckCheat(&cheat_clev, ev->data1))
    {
	[...]
      // So be it.
      plyr->message = STSTR_CLEV;
      G_DeferedInitNew(gameskill, epsd, map);
    }    

However, the "Changing Level..." message doesn't seem to actually display in-game. I'm not an expert on the Doom source, but is it simply because the level starts changing before the "display message" routine can work?

map 12 "Factory"
map 13 "Downtown"
map 14 "If I had my little way I'd eat peaches every day"

I just rediscovered this from Cracked.com, an article titled 'Craziest ways creators hid themselves in video games'. 

"One of the architects of Doom's success was programmer John Romero, who also had a hand in creating classics like Wolf3d and Quake.  Not to mention hits like 'Girl You Know It's True' and 'Blame It On The Rain.'"

And this description of the Icon Of Sin:

"The final boss is a bionic demon goat the size of a Wal-Mart that you're supposed to kill by firing carefully timed rockets into his brain through the hole in his forehead that he was nice enough to leave open for you." 

Also:

3 hours ago, yakfak said:

map 14 "If I had my little way I'd eat peaches every day"

PUSA?!? WTF??!?

This Doom 64 poster provides some exciting new canon to the lore! In short, the events of Doom 64 (and, of course, it sequels Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal) are wholly Doomguy's fault because he canonically didn't perform a UV MAX run:

P6JjXKZ.jpg

Boy, that Doomguy sure is a grade-A klutz! What a goober!

But this poster says one Arch-vial survived Doom 2, yet there are no Arch-viles in Doom 64. Unless, perhaps, that lone Arch-vial evolved to become some sort of "mother" to the rest of the resurrected demons. 🤔

What if it's actually the Arch-vial from map27 of Plutonia? Missing that one would be a lot more understandable.

On 7/3/2019 at 3:26 AM, pc234 said:

The quit button in Hell Revealed 2 actually says 'quite hell' instead of just 'quit hell'

Hell Revealed (both) are 2 of my favourite WADs of all time and I've never picked up on this... there ya go!

On samedi 6 juillet 2019 at 4:00 PM, Ashley_Pomeroy said:

The PlayStation 3 doesn't have a system-wide screenshot utility for DRM reasons. And HDMI itself has DRM as well so I literally have to photograph the screen.

Hey, you've gotta give a business model to people like those.

14 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

This Doom 64 poster provides some exciting new canon to the lore! In short, the events of Doom 64 (and, of course, it sequels Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal) are wholly Doomguy's fault because he canonically didn't perform a UV MAX run:

P6JjXKZ.jpg

Boy, that Doomguy sure is a grade-A klutz! What a goober!

But this poster says one Arch-vial survived Doom 2, yet there are no Arch-viles in Doom 64. Unless, perhaps, that lone Arch-vial evolved to become some sort of "mother" to the rest of the resurrected demons. 🤔

Hey, the level ends when the Icon of Sin dies, and sometimes a traveling cube will spawn a monster right after. Now if it was, like, the icon stops spitting spawn cubes, and an exit portal appears, and you can take the time to mop up the demons it spawned, it'd be something.

Also the next person who makes a Heretic or Hexen map has got to include an item called the Arch-Vial.

Let me guess, using it turns a dead monster in front of you into an ally? You could use it in conjuntion with the Morph Ovum/Porkalator to assemble your chicken/pig army!