Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

On 2/5/2016 at 5:59 AM, Doomkid said:

That's friggin gold - A large portion of Doom's content is muscular demon butts, so the cover is definitely accurate on that one. This is the first time I've ever seen the proper uncropped version, thanks!

I realise I'm replying to a three-year-old post, but the longbox art for the 3DO version is cropped slightly looser and shows more of the bottom of the image than, as far as I can tell, any other version of the Doom cover art:

3do_doom_cover.jpg

You can see the magazine in the demon's "pistol arm" and slightly more of the demon's butt-crack. Most versions just leave the tip of the pistol arm visible.

On the other hand it crops off the left and right edges, which is a shame because some of those demons look so happy! If you just look at their facial expressions they seem overjoyed to see the Doom marine, not angry at all.

This raises the question of whether there's a high-res scan of the original painting somewhere, and note that I didn't say "begs the question", I said "raises the question", because this is Doom for crissakes, not bloody Fortnite.

Edited by Ashley_Pomeroy : "the"

I've been exploring the bits of console doom source that have been released, to get a feel for how things are different than the PC version (and partially to also get a bit of a look at the source organization as it was before Bernd happened to it) One amusing thing that stood out is that the 3DO version fixed the "Picked up a medikit you REALLY need!" bug despite not having pickup messages displayed. Heh. In addition, while the invisibility powerup was pretty much entirely stripped out of the Jaguar source, it was reinstated for the 3DO port. Even though I'm pretty sure it's not available there either... I think it's also weirdly neat to note that the 3DO version shot for a 60hz tickrate, whereas most of the other jaguar ones shot for 15hz. Seems maybe a little ridiculous, but I dunno.

ed: also, was a lot of the ASM for the jaguar port produced by some sort of compiler? a lot of it is really poorly commented and kinda odd, compared to other parts of it. I vaguely remember something about a compiler being tuned for this project..

Scott Campbell (unsung parent of Fallout) did some additional artwork for 3DO DOOM. Now I'm trying to find out what it was. Art Media intro? Rusty backdrop for the credits?

39 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

The Commander Keen door-opening switch can be used in any level slot, not just map 32.

It's still dumb, tho 

Some mods changed the sprite and sounds to make use of it in a less Easter-eggy way. IIRC, Perdition's Gate (or was it Hell to Pay?) had a level where you had to blow up a number of "fuses" to open the exit door before the level's "self destruction" (a very tall, very slow crusher in a dummy sector, with a voodoo doll and a bunch of barrels).

37 minutes ago, Gez said:

Some mods changed the sprite and sounds to make use of it in a less Easter-eggy way. IIRC, Perdition's Gate (or was it Hell to Pay?) had a level where you had to blow up a number of "fuses" to open the exit door before the level's "self destruction" (a very tall, very slow crusher in a dummy sector, with a voodoo doll and a bunch of barrels).

Does anyone know any good sprite and sound replacements for this? Just like fuse, power core etc. That would be great for my current project.

Nah, I'd keep it canon, and make the storyline you have to find the room where the child clones are being tortured and put them out of their misery

6 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

The Commander Keen door-opening switch can be used in any level slot, not just map 32.

It's still dumb, tho 

True enough. Any map where the doors are tagged 666 will open once all the Keens are killed.

I'm not sure how the 666 tag on Map 07 would interact with Keens if you also had Mancubi, but that's a different question.

I've used the Keen door opening trick before, and my biggest problem with it is that, since Keens are considered monsters, if you run your map with the -nomonsters flag, the Keens aren't there, so the door(s) can't be opened.

Isn't that Player 2 from the original Xbox version in those Doom 3 pictures? Also, I think you can see Doom4guy's full head without the helmet in Quake Champions.

21 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

Isn't that Player 2 from the original Xbox version in those Doom 3 pictures?

Indeed, it is the famed Doomginger.

21 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

Also, I think you can see Doom4guy's full head without the helmet in Quake Champions.

We know Quake Champions isn't canon due to clear violations of established lore as discussed here, here, here, here, here, here, and also possibly here.

I recently decided to go back and play through TNT: Evilution (after more than a decade), and I only now realized that the line of torches at the beginning of Map30: Last Call actually show you the correct order of platforms to get across the insta-death platform puzzle.

Waitaminute…. zig zag haircut.... zigzag path in E1M1....

The invading hell force has the ability to transform the environment, right? 

What if they got the idea from Doomguy?  Like they can read his mind?

And they got the idea of transforming the place into a hellish one because that's Doomguy's mindset? 

DID DOOMGUY CREATE HIS OWN HELL?!?!?!?!!??

200.gif.049f3e23fd8229a89f6d7d82a4ffa3c7.gif

3 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I recently decided to go back and play through TNT: Evilution (after more than a decade), and I only now realized that the line of torches at the beginning of Map30: Last Call actually show you the correct order of platforms to get across the insta-death platform puzzle.

Lol really?, ahh :(

Doom95 gave par times to episode 4 before Doom Classic did. They're listed here.

EDIT: Never mind, they're misplaced Doom 2 pars. I guess my edits to the wiki can be ignored.

Edited by SiFi270

9 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Yeah, I remember I discovered it at some point, but not during my first playthrough.

Which reminds me - when I was a newbie kid afraid of Cyberdemons, I was very happy to discover during my first playthrough of Plutonia, that in MAP30, the Cyberdemon on the tower in front of the Boss Brain can be attacked safely from the second-from-bottom step in either of the side tunnels - standing there puts the Cyberdemon in range of your weapons, but his rockets will explode harmlessly on the ceiling above you.

11 hours ago, Gaia74 said:

Lol really?, ahh :(

Lol yes... and the slow, trial and error process of discovering the sequence was as grueling and awful as one can imagine... xD

Well you don't need to memorize if you quick save\load spam it. I still remember the sequence even without knowing what colors the torches are, fuck that puzzle

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Well you don't need to memorize if you quick save\load spam it. I still remember the sequence even without knowing what colors the torches are, fuck that puzzle

I've only played it in modern ports, so I just use the automap which shows me the teleport lines.

1 hour ago, Magicana said:

I've only played it in modern ports, so I just use the automap which shows me the teleport lines.

I noticed that too!! I was playing in GZDoom, opened the automap and I thought "...what?? No...". But, if I recall correctly, the old automap never showed that.   

So, I recently played through all the maps in the PSX port of Doom including the exclusive secret maps and I must say the map called "Club Doom" is the dumbest thing, but at least has some really catchy music!

18 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I noticed that too!! I was playing in GZDoom, opened the automap and I thought "...what?? No...". But, if I recall correctly, the old automap never showed that.   

You are correct. The original automap only showed red, yellow, brown, and gray (and the gray was only if you had the computer map, to indicate where you hadn't already visited). There was no different color to indicate doors unlocked by keys of various colors or teleport lines or where the exit switch was.

No, just good old red, yellow, and brown. ... And we liked it! *waves cane around*

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

You are correct. The original automap only showed red, yellow, brown, and gray (and the gray was only if you had the computer map, to indicate where you hadn't already visited). There was no different color to indicate doors unlocked by keys of various colors or teleport lines or where the exit switch was.

No, just good old red, yellow, and brown. ... And we liked it! *waves cane around*

Hehe, I use GZDoom a lot but keep the traditional colors :)

2 hours ago, MaxED said:

Looks like Doom cover art is a total ripoff of Eric and the Floaters cover art (Hudson Soft, 1983).

I'm going to print and laminate this image to keep in my wallet, and every time I think I'm not good enough, I can look at it to remind myself that somebody was paid actual money for this picture.