Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

8 hours ago, kb1 said:

So, I'm curious: What does k8vavoom do on map 30?

i quoted part of the code above. soul cube code forces monsters to telestomp, and then teleports them to the landing point. regardless of map number.

5 hours ago, Pegleg said:

According to the story, the rest of the squad fights for hours before finally succumbing. Sure, they didn't single-handedly take on the forces of Hell like Doomguy, but I wouldn't call them "Wimpy," as if they were all cut down the minute the doors closed.

Good point, I apologize.

Tbh, it does seem these two made their way to Hell somehow, so that's pretty significant - just still insufficient - level of badassery.

Or maybe they're part of one of the secret UAC expeditions before shit hit the fan on the moons of Mars.

Especially that would explain the availability of weapon drops in E3...

On 8/2/2019 at 7:39 PM, Sgt Nate V said:

I love you, thanks, works perfectly, they did an awesome job with the port!

I just recently found out that Bobby Prince's CD release of the Doom soundtrack contains an alternate version of Donna to the Rescue. Seems like this was the original version of the track, and I only wonder if Prince still has the original MIDI file of this track.

8 hours ago, GamingMarine said:

I just recently found out that Bobby Prince's CD release of the Doom soundtrack contains an alternate version of Donna to the Rescue.

This is quite nice, great find. I also had no idea this existed.

New Discoveries!

This game is hard to put down! (i just found out today) im serious... even with the current killer motion sickness/disoriented feeling and splitting headache that makes me wan't to vomit, I'm having the best gaming I have ever experienced. 

They say the body adapts.. this is really tough with the worst vertigo im ever feeling too. ( i cant ehar e1m1 as good as before which is a freakin shame)

I have another thing I just found out again... the game is too f!@$^*% original.

ID software FTW :)

Edited by vanilla_d00m

10 hours ago, GamingMarine said:

I just recently found out that Bobby Prince's CD release of the Doom soundtrack contains an alternate version of Donna to the Rescue. Seems like this was the original version of the track, and I only wonder if Prince still has the original MIDI file of this track.

There are also some unreleased tracks I think. I remember stumbling upon something to this effect, and they're sadly not available for use.

You can UV-Max e2m2 from a pistol start by shooting every enemy to death and still have a ton of ammo left over. No need to punch any Imps or Pinkies.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:24 AM, kb1 said:

No reason you can't have both checks. Useful if you support a "vanilla mode":

if ((mobj.flags && MF_CAN_TELESTOMP) || (vanilla_mode && gamemap == 30)))
{
  Stomp_em;
}

...if you care about such things.

In an advanced port that's not a good solution. The *proper* solution is to have a map flag that then gets set in MAP30's definition record.

On the other hand, please point me to a map where this is relevant. For the cube it is much better to let it do the telefrag itself, rather than depending on a map flag.

I know this is technically about Hexen rather than doom, but I found something interesting about the ending.

(This was using chocolate Hexen by the way)

What I found out was that if you saved during the ending screens and then loaded the save, you wouldn't be watching the ending, but would instead be back in the final map.

Sadly there isn't much to do there except maybe kill the last few monsters there or mess with the mana-giving switches since you can't leave the area. The portal doesn't even function anymore, as its' special was set to not be repeatable.

Not particularly useful(unless you make it so in a mod lol), but interesting nonetheless.

17 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

In an advanced port that's not a good solution. The *proper* solution is to have a map flag that then gets set in MAP30's definition record.

On the other hand, please point me to a map where this is relevant. For the cube it is much better to let it do the telefrag itself, rather than depending on a map flag.

@Graf Zahl, you know it better than most that "if there's some way to abuse an engine quirk, some mapper did it"...

And @EANB mentioned such map at the top of page.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:35 AM, EANB said:

I remember one wad (I can't remember the name, possibly Hell Revealed or another famous wad) used this for dramatic effect on map 30 by making a bunch of zombiemen teleport in before an Arch Vile, showering the area with blood and gibs. Looked pretty cool.

If we'd have a more solid lead as of to what that map was (sure doesn't look to be HR) we could try and find out how royally it breaks without the telestomp hack...

I recently learned that the "secret discovered" sound wasn't in the original Doom but was inspired by quake and added in later source ports! I was looking for it in the Doom wads and couldn't find it, then I read up on it.

3 hours ago, Immorpher said:

I recently learned that the "secret discovered" sound wasn't in the original Doom but was inspired by quake and added in later source ports! I was looking for it in the Doom wads and couldn't find it, then I read up on it.

Fun fact about that, I used to think its sound was universal and the same across all ports, but it's not.

9 hours ago, wrkq said:

@Graf Zahl, you know it better than most that "if there's some way to abuse an engine quirk, some mapper did it"...

And @EANB mentioned such map at the top of page.

That's why it still exists as a map option.

2 hours ago, seed said:

Fun fact about that, I used to think its sound was universal and the same across all ports, but it's not.

It was shocking when I tried Eternity and there was no secret found sound. Really adds some much needed audio feedback for tagging a secret, especially the kind with small sectors that are easy to skip over. The ports I've used all had the same secret sound (GZDoom, Zandronum, PRBoom+) but the best is still "That's right!" from Epic 2.

53 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

he ports I've used all had the same secret sound (GZDoom, Zandronum, PRBoom+)

that's because GZDoom and Zandronum are both ZDoom descendants, and Randi made up that sound for ZDoom. PRBoom+ just took it there too, i guess. for the note: k8vavoom did the same -- i used GZDoom sound for secret. i guess it can be considered "standard" by this time. ;-)

I also like the ZDoom more than the other.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

It was shocking when I tried Eternity and there was no secret found sound. Really adds some much needed audio feedback for tagging a secret, especially the kind with small sectors that are easy to skip over. The ports I've used all had the same secret sound (GZDoom, Zandronum, PRBoom+) but the best is still "That's right!" from Epic 2.

How do you enable secret notifications in PrBoom+ ? I'll be damned if I could ever find the setting.

5 hours ago, ketmar said:

that's because GZDoom and Zandronum are both ZDoom descendants, and Randi made up that sound for ZDoom. PRBoom+ just took it there too, i guess. for the note: k8vavoom did the same -- i used GZDoom sound for secret. i guess it can be considered "standard" by this time. ;-)

Do you know if a higher quality version of the sound exists? In the gzdoom wad its 11 kHz, 8 bit, but the original had to be higher quality.

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

Crispy uses a different secret revealed sound - a little more subdued. 

I think I will check it out!

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

Crispy uses a different secret revealed sound - a little more subdued. 

Crispy uses the item respawn sound if DSSECRET is not available. 

1 hour ago, Immorpher said:

Do you know if a higher quality version of the sound exists?

i don't think so. afair, Randi was asked if she has the raw hq source, and the answer was "no".

anyway, what you'd expect from it? i doubt it will sound any better. ;-)

1 hour ago, fabian said:

Crispy uses the item respawn sound if DSSECRET is not available

Ah, is that what it is? I have literally never multiplayed Doom; that's where you'd hear that, huh?

7 hours ago, seed said:

How do you enable secret notifications in PrBoom+ ? I'll be damned if I could ever find the setting.

I've been looking for this forever as well. Still can't find it.

2 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Do you know if a higher quality version of the sound exists? In the gzdoom wad its 11 kHz, 8 bit, but the original had to be higher quality.

That sound is at least 18 years old, it's already present in the oldest ZDoom version I have installed, from 2001. If there ever was a better quality version, the chances of it still existing are very slim. I know Randi suffered a HD crash a few years later in which a lot of data got lost.

10 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

I've been looking for this forever as well. Still can't find it.

It's a bit unintuitive: It's in the "Setup" menu under "HUD": Go to  "Advanced HUD settings", enable "Secret Area". Alternatively, set 'hudadd_secretarea' in the .cfg to 1, if navigating those menus proves too bothersome.

13 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Ah, is that what it is? I have literally never multiplayed Doom; that's where you'd hear that, huh?

Yep. 

16 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Not necessarily. It was made by messing with some sample in Impulse Tracker. Nothing says the original sample was higher quality than 8bit @ 11 kHz.

Origin of "Secret Revealed" sound?

I ripped the samples from some mods whose names I have long forgotten but created the "song" that plays them myself.

Sorry. I'm not sure I even bothered saving it after I created the wave file from it.

Thanks for finding that thread! I assumed it was higher quality because the fadeout introduced some 8 bit noise, but alas randi could have only had 8 bit samples to work from. Definitely an interesting bit of history!

The pistol fire sound effect from Doom 64 / PSX didn't originate from either of those games. It was used in ELEMENTS.WAD in 1994 which is several years before either of the games were released.

The plasma rifle sound was also previously heard in the DWANGO series. Could there be even more we don't know about?