Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

On 10/22/2019 at 10:55 AM, seed said:

So, no, Fluidsynth isn't actually dogshit in PrBoom, but it ends up sounding that way because of those 2 options that are active by default.

It's a bit weird. I've yet to find a single MIDI synth where these two options improve playback quality and yet everybody seems to default them to ON. That has also been the case in GZDoom - it got changed when several people pointed out that they should be OFF by default - and after a quick listen I had to agree. So when I integrated Timidity++ I set them to off for that right away.

On 10/24/2019 at 3:40 AM, Untamed64 said:

Understandable, since who wants to go to the trouble of resetting their settings on every GZDoom build.

Except that we all have to! Trilinear filtering in Doom and sprites clipping halfway through the floor is for people with bad taste.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

It's a bit weird. I've yet to find a single MIDI synth where these two options improve playback quality and yet everybody seems to default them to ON. That has also been the case in GZDoom - it got changed when several people pointed out that they should be OFF by default - and after a quick listen I had to agree. So when I integrated Timidity++ I set them to off for that right away.

Maybe they're enabled in FS by default if that was the case with GZDoom too? It maybe improves the quality and makes certain MIDIs sound good (Doom 64's and PSX Doom's being 2 good examples for this, without reverb and chorus they will inevitably sound plain wrong when playing), but for the vast majority of MIDIs made for Doom indeed, chorus and reverb will just screw them up completely.

In GZDoom even if they would still be enabled by default it wouldn't be that big of an issue because they can easily be turned off in the options, but PrBoom has only config variables for both and if you aren't aware of their existence you'd just think "Wow, FS sucks in this port, I'm never touching this player again... "

Underhalls is even more broken in version 1.8. There were even more enemies stuck in various places of the map, and the teleport textures are screwed up. Other early maps also had more glitched enemies in this version (not just stuck but also blind/deaf).

So, overall, 1.7 and 1.9 are probably the best versions of Doom 2, and 1.666 has the best Underhalls. 1.8, after 10 maps in, feels like a serious downgrade when compared to those versions.

I've only just now noticed that the candle flame in the "Evil Eye" thing is animated -- and it feels odd to look at, because I've gotten used to the non-animated "Candle" thing.

Yep, I noticed it some time ago and couldn't believe it took me so long to pay any attention to it.

Map25 Bloodfalls has three BFG's placed in it of which not a single one appears in Ultra Violence single player on which one secret room with it is empty and pointless.   That room's BFG is easy/medium while the cellpacks are multi only.   In the central courtyard, one BFG is multi only while another BFG, 3 medikits, a pool of blood, and box of shells are not flagged to appear on any difficulty.    Do map analysis mode in Doom Builder and you'll find this stuff quick.

EDIT:

Went and quick looked at all the v1.9 maps plus update notes.   If I didn't list a stuck thing, it's because some monsters are not stuck despite being placed within each other's dimensions.

v1.9 Thing errors (Unused means not flagged to appear on any difficulty):
Map02 Barrel and ShotgunGuy stuck in walls (v1.666 map02 is best)
Map04 unused Demon
Map05 Two hard Lost Souls on same spot.   DM start stuck in Zombieman.
Map06 Two DM starts unused! (Fortunately four are used, but all six MIGHT function.)
Map07 DM start stuck in Player 1 start (Might be a problem if any port resorts 
       to using another mode's starts for higher amounts of players).

Map09 DM start stuck in Hell Knight.
Map11 Multi-only CellPack way outside map.
Map15 Might not be an error - v1.666 Zombieman facing west at 1472,-1600 deleted since v1.7
Map17 DM start stuck in Arachnotron.
Map22 All FIVE DM starts unused!   Apparently the game ignores their difficulty settings.
Map25 unused BFG, 3 medikits, pool of blood, box of shells
Map26 DM start stuck in Mancubus.

Map28 Fortunately fixed - v1.666 only had 2 DM starts.
Map29 DM start stuck in Mancubus. (At least it's not missing Co-op starts like in v1.666)
Map31 Everyone knows the two hard Demons on one spot.  But also Five unused Large Brown Trees, two of them
      on same spot.   And double placed tall red pillar, short green pillar w/ heart, and burning barrel.
Map32 Two of its five DM starts on same spot.   And you're stuck on this map with No Monsters set unless

a frag or time limit is set in a port since you need the Keens to open the exit. 

I've noticed a port defaulting to No Monsters for deathmatch.

No Monsters being set has no effect on Map30's boss and it spawning monsters (EDIT: Didn't mean to imply this one was an error).
Not getting into map structure and texture errors, though missing textures may be intentional in maps25,28,31.

Edited by Gokuma

On 11/12/2019 at 2:53 AM, Gokuma said:

No Monsters being set has no effect on Map30's boss and it spawning monsters.

That's cause the spawner is not flagged as a monster. So not a map bug, but an EXE bug (or intentional feature? not likely) A simple DeHackEd patch takes care of that, if one wants to be able to play something like "no monsters" deathmatch on MAP30.

After never wanting to ever mod DOOM or DOOM 2 as I always thought they were perfect the way they were, (altought the later half of DOOM 2 felt rushed.  All things considered id Software at that time), and then trying out Brutal Doom in 2016, I picked up DOOM mods again this year.  Now?  I have many, but I don't play with all of them.  I decided to start building a map pack, and learning how to do it.  I am using DOOM Builder 2, (I don't know the build), it's like an avanced version of MS Paint, and this has shown me exactly what people deal with when learning this system.  I've also developed a sense of recognizing the "why", something is how it is on a map.

I've learned a new found appreciation for modders, and map makers.  

Berserk in PSX Doom is overpowered. The range is noticeably longer which makes punching a whole lot easier. Punches also seem to connect easier.

I learned that The Master Levels has its own officially id Software-sanctioned canonical ending text screen (as opposed to the non-canonical text no doubt written by some schlub at Williams for the PS1 port) which can be seen defined in BFG Edition's code. For convenience, I shall transcribe the entirety of id's written passage here:

CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE FINISHED...

THE MASTER LEVELS

They clearly spared no expense.

However, this ending text screen may only be seen in exactly one version of the game: Doom Classic Complete on the PSN for the PlayStation 3. Not even the recent Unity re-releases feature this ending text since all of the Master Levels levels there are played individually.

As the aforementioned PSN release of Doom is no longer available for purchase, though, I believe that means we can officially declare this Master Levels ending text screen to be lost media. These words will never again to be witnessed by the eyes of us mere mortals, its existence to be passed down from generation to generation only through vague recollections and remembrances.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it in a video.

Edited by Revenant100

"CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE FINISHED... THE MASTER LEVELS"

LMAO. As someone who has never played the master levels, the amount of "effort" put into the intermission text alone seems like enough to convince me to not bother with them.

Crispy Doom supports the PSN version of Master Levels if you can extract the wad from it or go through some even more complicated than usual patching shenanigans or set up Classic RBDoom3 BFG by putting the DOS version's wads in the right directory. It shows that ending text when you beat Express Elevator or Bad Dream, and until now I thought it was a placeholder that Fabian came up with.

9 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

"CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE FINISHED... THE MASTER LEVELS"

LMAO. As someone who has never played the master levels, the amount of "effort" put into the intermission text alone seems like enough to convince me to not bother with them.

They're alright, most of them.

But I would say that if you're interested in playing the Master Levels, I highly recommend the PSX Doom version of the maps, it's the definitive version of the levels imo. Then again, I'm likely biased here since PSX Doom is my favorite console port from the '90s, so take what I said with a grain of salt :p.

Edited by seed

2 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Except Black Tower, that was good.

Which of course segues very neatly into Sir Big Mac Davis' latest walkthrough - 

On 11/17/2019 at 12:47 PM, Revenant100 said:

They clearly spared no expense.

My favorite ending messages are still the ones from Chex Quest.

CE1TEXT =
		"Mission accomplished.\n"
		"\n"
		"Are you prepared for the next mission?\n"
		"\n"
		"\n"
		"\n"
		"\n"
		"\n"
		"\n"
		"Press the escape key to continue...";

CE2TEXT = "You've done it!";
CE3TEXT = "Wonderful Job!";
CE4TEXT = "Fantastic";

I'm not sure what's the purpose of the other three, but I love how they gradually deteriorate to the point of no punctuation.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:05 AM, Maximum Matt said:

Just realized it's pronounced 'si-jill' and not 'siggle'. 

Or is it "Seagal"?

I'm no strafe run pro, (hell, I can barely get it to move faster, usually I'm sideways at normal speed), however, circle strafing is different, I can do that easy.  I found out that if you time it correctly, an enemy will attack sideways, but face where you are now.  Like, the enenmy attacks where you were, but the model will face you.

3 hours ago, Tartlman said:

I thought chex quest only has 3 episodes?

Chex Quest only has one episode. Even Chex Quest 2 is loaded as a replacement for Episode 1, not as an Episode 2. Now Chex Quest 3 has three episodes but it's a different thing, we're talking about the original cereal-box issue of Chex Quest here.

But they used Ultimate Doom as their engine, and they weren't the most knowledgeable or ambitious programmers so they've kept their changes quite minimal. They didn't really disable the capability for someone to warp to a non-E1 map, so they figured they should leave some placeholder text just in case.

I, on the other hand, knew the correct pronunciation of the word "sigil" beforehand but have been hearing so many people on videos referring to the level set as "siggle" lately that I was beginning to wonder if I was actually wrong.

On 9/23/2011 at 8:32 AM, SeanWJF said:

The Berserk pack lasts the whole level.

Quality of life significantly improved.

You....didn't know that?