Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

2 hours ago, CARRiON said:

Why would you be glad a bonus that others enjoy searching for and that doesn't necessarily affect you if you choose to ignore it is killed off?

The fact that they're sometimes mandatory could be one of the reasons (when ammo is scarce for instance, so it's either secret hunting or struggling to kill a damn thing or plain survive. And they're not easy to find usually either, to make it all the more aggravating).

And again, I never understood their appeal, if others enjoy them fine, I don't, and probably never will, so I don't miss them at all in modern games. I didn't mean that part to turn into "If I don't like them, then no one else should, and you should also be glad they're gone too".

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

What do you mean? The building you enter with the big arrow pointing to it has a set of small crates in the back (near the door leading to a small outdoor section). Use the small crates and they lower to reveal a switch, use the switch to raise some small stairs that then leads to a telepad. Voila.

The telepad I never find you mean :p.

Ha, ha. I have memorized the secrets of a few 100 maps by now, I couldn't even give a correct figure. Especially the ones in the IWADs.

And for the one I can't memorize - well, that's what GZDoom's secret hint system is there for.

31 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Ha, ha. I have memorized the secrets of a few 100 maps by now, I couldn't even give a correct figure. Especially the ones in the IWADs.

And for the one I can't memorize - well, that's what GZDoom's secret hint system is there for.

More power to you boss, but I'm not changing my mind.

And using hints systems and whatnot feels cheaty unless it was meant to be used by the author. Might as well just IDDT through the whole package - which is exactly what I did for the likes of GS2 and Eternal Doom anyway.

Hints may be cheaty, but some secrets out there are so obtuse that memorizing the steps needed to get them is near impossible. Or the kind where you have one try, do it wrong and no secret. Which is particularly grating if you need the goodies.

In most cases I just skip those annoying secrets because they are rarely worth the time needed to get them.

2 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Hints may be cheaty, but some secrets out there are so obtuse that memorizing the steps needed to get them is near impossible. Or the kind where you have one try, do it wrong and no secret. Which is particularly grating if you need the goodies.

In most cases I just skip those annoying secrets because they are rarely worth the time needed to get them.

Hence why I despise them.

Secret hunting is an activity I cannot enjoy - just like exploring very nonlinear and puzzle-like environments. In 5mins I'm already lost and it stops being fun.

But, secrets are sometimes needed to some extent, like in GS2. I didn't see much point in playing it if I wasn't going to see all there was to it, so I just IDDT-ed all maps and called it a day.

You know that entirely obvious soulsphere "secret" in Barrels o' Fun? It was much more secret in an early version of the map, because it was locked with a blue key. And there was never a blue key on that map.

3 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

You know that entirely obvious soulsphere "secret" in Barrels o' Fun? It was much more secret in an early version of the map, because it was locked with a blue key. And there was never a blue key on that map.

What Doom 2 version are you talking about? It wasn't locked on Doom 2 v1.666, IIRC, and that's the earliest version, unless you mean those beta maps Romero posted a few years ago.

4 minutes ago, belandino said:

What Doom 2 version are you talking about? It wasn't locked on Doom 2 v1.666, IIRC, and that's the earliest version, unless you mean those beta maps Romero posted a few years ago.

Probably a beta version of it, dating from when the game was still in development.

32 minutes ago, seed said:

Probably a beta version of it, dating from when the game was still in development.

I've checked Romero's stuff and there was a mega armor there, but it's not locked behind a blue door or obstacle of any sort.

It would be really interesting to find out what Doom 2 version Scypek2 is referring to.

On 12/28/2019 at 9:51 PM, Magicana said:

I don't know how to feel about this.

hVdFy9A.png

Is this regarding the player having a BFG and full cells on e1m6? Also, what is that skin-tone section in the middle of the BFG? Looks like a pair of hooters, which I find distracting these days.

Got a crash in ChocoRenderLimits testing a vanilla-compat map I'm working on, "Sector with more than 22 adjoining sectors. Vanilla will crash here".

Apparently if you try to raise a sector to a different floor height, and it's connected to more than 22 other sectors, vanilla Doom don't like dis. *heavy sigh*

4 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

My headcanon says Sandy wanted to teach us that the real soulsphere was inside us all along, but then they gave him a slap on the wrist and he was forced to adjust the map.

That many maps in Doom/Doom 2 are designed with pistol-starts in mind. Always used to find parts the game too easy before pistol-starting.

I just realized that those torches are suppose to signify the optimized spot from which you should jump in order to reach the isolated switch platform. I always tried to reach that switch by jumping from the large structure in the middle of the map. I used to think that there was a hidden door behind that wall but I never bothered to check the automap. Love these little details.

Screenshot_Doom_20200101_042033.png

Edited by Uni

I think I used to put my face against one of the walls on the tower and sidestep jump off (possibly at walk speed) to land on the platform.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:51 AM, Magicana said:

I don't know how to feel about this.

hVdFy9A.png

None of those sections I see have a sky. Was this an earlier version of Doom or something and not Ultimate Doom?

ah, I have to admit I'm among those who could have sworn that part of the level had a sky ceiling, but seeing it in action, it just looks so weird and wrong, wow.

15 hours ago, SaladBadger said:

ah, I have to admit I'm among those who could have sworn that part of the level had a sky ceiling, but seeing it in action, it just looks so weird and wrong, wow.

Exact same feeling I had. 

16 hours ago, peach freak said:

None of those sections I see have a sky. Was this an earlier version of Doom or something and not Ultimate Doom?

This was me editing it to see what it looked like.

I just realised that the pain elemental's attack and death sounds both contain the lost soul "RAWR" sound. Dunno why but I always thought the lost soul made the noise. :l Only noticed this when I was doing my lost soul replacement to become a butterfly.

The Doom 2 Unity 2019 Re-release changed the Wolfenstein SS Soldiers alert sound

It sounds like the guard is still saying "schutzstaffel", but with a different emphasis - in the original he says "shoe-staffle" whereas in the newer sound he says "shoe-sta-fuh". It's not just pitched differently.

Is it a sample from one of the console versions? Perhaps the voice-over person didn't realise it was a German word and was just imitating the sound.

19 minutes ago, HLRaven said:

I wonder, who voiced the new line?

Two different people. It's half Tom Hall's original line, half @sponge.

11 minutes ago, Ashley_Pomeroy said:

Is it a sample from one of the console versions? Perhaps the voice-over person didn't realise it was a German word and was just imitating the sound.

Uhh no, he was 100% sure it was supposed to be German. 

1994 was more like "Shoe shuffle!" anyway. German pronounced by people who don't really know German pronunciation. (Oh, and it's "Volfenschtein", unless I guess it's near Hamburg.)