Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

So while messing with floor actions in gzdoom builder, I wanted to make a small platform raise and change its flat to the same of the next adjacent floor. Let's call that platform A. For this I set up a control sector outside, because the platform A needed to raise specifically 24 pixels up, a mini second sector (B) inside the control sector with a different flat, so that sector A swaps to sector B's texture, or at least I believed that would do the trick. What triggers platform A to elevate is a switch by gunfire. It resulted in A swapping textures with a ledge nearby rather than with sector B. Not cool, that got me stuck for a while.

BUT THEN...

I thought that maybe it wasn't swapping textures with that ledge but the other ledge where the switch was onto, because they have the same flat. So I made a tiny sector adjacent to the switch's linedef, applied the wanted flat, tested and yeah, platform A finally changed to that texture.

So, what matters is the sector adjacent to where the power linedef is pointing at, and I'd like to believe that applies to any type of trigger, be it walkover, gunfire or door, not sure, but now I know how to do this properly with G1 switches at least.

Here, I whipped up a wad imitating that video quite gloriously: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vuqfqht2ow47iuu/hkmoonwk.wad/file

UDMF map replacing map01.   Requires any port supporting UDMF so I could easily make lines block monster sight.   (The vanilla way would be messing with the reject utility, RMB)   I also used flats for sidedef textures.

You've been hit by... You've been struck by... a smooth Hell Knight.

Edited by Gokuma

Some things I learned recently:

The Radiation Shielding Suit effect is called "iron feet" internally.

I thought the BSP process always created splits along the X=0 and Y=0 lines, so I've made a point of avoiding them. But apparently they do not. (Maybe that's a Quake thing that's stuck with me from back when I did that.)

In Hexen, the Wings Of Wrath lasts the entire rest of the hub (while in Heretic it's a temporary powerup like the others). In stock maps, it's only given as an end-of-hub bonus, but I feel like a new hub set could be created based around using it, since it's a hub-permanent mobility upgrade. I might try my hand at that myself.

Vanilla Strife, instead of letting you bind a "center view" key, makes it whatever you have for "run". So if you're using the joyb_speed=29 trick or just have autorun enabled in a Chocolate family port, you'll barely be able to look a single degree up or down.

On vendredi 10 janvier 2020 at 12:51 AM, Gokuma said:

Hell Knights can moonwalk.

Not just that, but he's getting briefly promoted to Baron at 0:25 when he throws a fireball. Then he gets demoted again back to knight.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:09 PM, Gez said:

Not just that, but he's getting briefly promoted to Baron at 0:25 when he throws a fireball. Then he gets demoted again back to knight.

I wonder why that is.

Bug or were the sprites accidentally mixed with one another?

The sideways view points 2,3,4 are mixed up with 6,7,8.   And then for the attack frames he probably had left them saying BOSS instead of BOS2 at the time.

Anyway, I just made an incalcuable improvement and reuploaded: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vuqfqht2ow47iuu/hkmoonwk.wad/file

(Improvements require a ZDoom-based port (EDIT:) or K8vavoom since it uses Decorate, so other ports currently won't see what's new)

The sucka's got some moves now!

It's just too perfect that it's the Hell Knight since he lacks pigmentation (and some people falsely assume him to be a woman as well).   Should have expected this out of the slick mofo all along.

NOTE: The last paragraph of this post made it lose 98.67% of its impending likes.

Edited by Gokuma

2 hours ago, Gokuma said:

require a ZDoom-based port since it uses Decorate

ZDoom family is not the only ports with decorate support.

I recently found out there's a fixed, hardcoded RNG for Doom, it's engine, and probably any other source port out there.

51 minutes ago, Cell said:

Dancy.gif.1d79d5d5cb69b0076ee4b808ed0a6979.gif

I wonder how many people have been on the internet long enough to hear "Call On Me" while staring at that gif.

3 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

I wonder how many people have been on the internet to hear "Call On Me" while staring at that gif.

007 Soundscape, that's all.

18 hours ago, seed said:

Randi was not a "he".

I have lived in illusion for years.

But Sandy (Petersen) was.

(FYI Sandy ('Szandi') is, amongst other things, a common female nickname in Hungarian, deriving from either 'Szandra' (Sandra) or 'Alexandra'. Heck, there is even a singer out here called Szandi (Pintácsi Alexandra.) And yes, I know that Petersen's nick stands for 'Sanford'.)

On 1/12/2020 at 2:19 AM, Gokuma said:

I'm showing my age, but I've always associated the moonwalk with "Billie Jean". Michael Jackson unveiled the move during a Motown show in 1983 (at 13:07):

"Smooth Criminal" had the move where he leaned forwards really far, by putting his heels onto hidden bolts mounted in the floor.

Er, I learn from the wiki that the random number "generator" mentioned above - it's actually just a list of numbers - doesn't have a 1 in it. I assume the fixed nature of the random numbers would be useful for tool-assisted speedruns.

1 hour ago, Ashley_Pomeroy said:
On 1/11/2020 at 9:19 PM, Gokuma said:

I'm showing my age, but I've always associated the moonwalk with "Billie Jean".

So, instead, your version would be: "This hell knight is not my lover."

That the GBA version of Doom 2 had the two Wolfenstein levels with only minor changes. After seeing how censored some of the recent ports were (before the update), I was expecting the same for an older port, especially on a Nintendo console.

Guest Unregistered account

"The Healer Stalks" sounds like a midi Ratchet & Clank track without the breakbeat

17 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:
  Hide contents

Thanks for stealing my post idea lol :p

Always a pleasure to be of service :p.

In the shareware doom1.wad hangar, in the inaccessible outside area by the green armour room, is an unobtainable stimpack with its ambush flag ticked.

(thanks to SiFi270 who a few posts down mentions that this is in the original 1.0 version of the doom1.wad. I forgot to say that...)

Edited by theJF

2 hours ago, theJF said:

an unobtainable stimpack with its ambush flag ticked

That's how they get you. Tricksy stimpackses.