Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Also they don't have a melee attack sound, contrarily to imps and barons who make a scratching sound when they don't shoot a fireball.

Some mods do add a bite sound to the caco, though.

If you hold fire while switching to the rocket launcher or the BFG and keep holding it, it behaves as if Doomguy is firing and he'll make a constipated look in the HUD, despite not shooting.

I think Arachnotron gfx are actually 40% the size of the Mastermind.   I implemented Arachnotrons by scaling 0.4  in Doom 1 without adding sprites in Decorate and Eternity defs.  0.5 looked too large still.

That Sunder was originally released (or at least the original Sunder Doomworld thread was made) on 4/20. I guess we can add that to the repertoire of things that happened on that date. Plus this means it would have been released 10 years to the day after Columbine happened.

If you punch 4 times repeatedly and stop at the 4th punch, Doomguy will make a constipated look in the HUD for just a split second.

It was E2M2 that first introduced the "light flattexture on floor = HURT" principle in its infamous blue hallway triplets.

However, the same map has lights on the floor way earlier than that - most interestingly, right off the bat. Both the starting alcove and its exact replica in the northwestern dead-end greet our eyes with this beauty of double TLITE6_1. And yes, neither of these are damaging.
Screenshot_Doom_20200421_214725.png.b6d375692bc6e947d965197cdc652b7c.png

Wouldn't be too convenient either since the "true" entrance actually contains the 'Player 1 start' thing.

On a side note though: why couldn't E2M1 have one "fake exit" (or E3M2 three for that matter?) Id cared about this detail in Wolfenstein 3D, e.g. E4L5->E4L6. Though if I think about the E3M2 alternative a bit more, the "covert" fingers of the "hand" might have all had a cave-in one each except for the one hosting the exit.

But the blue indents aren't lights, they're electrical outlets, the light that bursts out is electric sparks.

Speaking or mechanical spiders, it's interesting that id went with feet that look more like a crane's, excavator's or conrete pumper's stabilizers. Most other depiction of "spiderbots" in games, sci-fi movies etc. give them dainty, pointy ballerina feet.

Yeah, seems like they went for a "giant brutal fucking robot brain" rather than "scary spidey-crawley boss".

14 hours ago, Maes said:

Speaking or mechanical spiders, it's interesting that id went with feet that look more like a crane's, excavator's or conrete pumper's stabilizers.

Not to mention, only four of them.

...So I have a replacement E1M8 with a bunch of barons spread throughout it.   I was thinking regardless how impossible it may be difficulty-wise on nightmare, it's actually impossible unless you have so many players at each area with barons making a coordinated strike to have all dead at the same time before any respawn stopping the lower floor 666 special from happening.   I edited the demons out of regular E1M8 to make that an easy test map.  Playing vanilla doom.exe, I killed one baron on nightmare and it would just not respawn.  So apparently it is possible in doom.exe.  I don't know if any source port acts like this.  It must not have been in the old linux source everything is based on but was fixed later.  Tested in Eternity and Zandronum, one baron would eventually respawn while I was avoiding the remaining one.   Fortunately at least with Eternity, you can use its Emapinfo to have a standard vanilla map run compiled ACS scripts.

In Emapinfo have:

[E1M8]
acsscript = BEHAV18

And that BEHAV18 lump I have in the wad is the compiled behavior from this (which I name SCR18 in the wad):

#include "zcommon.acs"

SCRIPT 186 OPEN
    {
    Delay(60*35);
    if (GetLevelInfo (LEVELINFO_TOTAL_MONSTERS)==0)
        {
        Floor_LowerToLowest(666,16);
        }
    Delay(60*35);
    if (GameSkill () == SKILL_VERY_HARD)
        {
        Floor_LowerToLowest(666,16);
        }
    }

As you can see I also have it activate if anyone plays with nomonsters in deathmatch mode.

19 hours ago, Cell said:
On 4/24/2020 at 9:18 AM, Maes said:

Speaking or mechanical spiders, it's interesting that id went with feet that look more like a crane's, excavator's or conrete pumper's stabilizers. Most other depiction of "spiderbots" in games, sci-fi movies etc. give them dainty, pointy ballerina feet.

Not to mention, only four of them.

A few chunky legs do seem more compatible with pixel art than a lot of spindly ones. Probably the same reason imps only have three fingers and two toes.

I've just found out how to construct destructible walls and columns in vanilla. I've always thought destructible walls were only possible with ZDoom.

It's quite limited as it can only be activated by the player's hitscan weapons but not by projectiles or monster attacks, but it does indeed work.

map01gp2.gif

Edited by Get Phobo : typo

5 hours ago, Get Phobo said:

I've just found out how to construct destructible walls and columns in vanilla.

This also exists in Eternal Doom for example, where you shoot stained glass to break it, or like in map19 where a wall with a crack in it becomes breakable only after you flip a switch. But I wonder where the effect was used first? I have a hunch there was some 1995 appearance of this trick.

3 hours ago, ukiro said:

This also exists in Eternal Doom for example, where you shoot stained glass to break it, or like in map19 where a wall with a crack in it becomes breakable only after you flip a switch.

Since I've only ever played Eternal with ZDoom more than 20 years ago, I wrongly remembered the glass-breaking to be some ZDoom-specific extension. I now got the idea from playing Whitemare where there are two secret areas hidden behind shootable walls on map 05. As those walls would disappear instantly and silently, I started digging into how the map's designer did that and whether it would work in vanilla. And it does.

See the attached file on how it's done. The column textures are not properly aligned yet, but the example shows how it all works in a well comprehensible way.

map01gp.zip

Edited by Get Phobo : File added.

7 hours ago, ukiro said:

This also exists in Eternal Doom for example, where you shoot stained glass to break it, or like in map19 where a wall with a crack in it becomes breakable only after you flip a switch. But I wonder where the effect was used first? I have a hunch there was some 1995 appearance of this trick.

Icarus made use of this effect with shootable grates on air vents. That's the earliest instance I'm aware of.

19 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Icarus made use of this effect with shootable grates on air vents. That's the earliest instance I'm aware of.

I never played Icarus before, only started last night. It's pretty nifty and fun with its small maps. Im already at map 13. Time flies. :-)

Anyway, about those air vents: They seem to be already pre-destructed in the map. See what I get when hovering over such a texture in Doom Builder.

Clipboard01.png

3 hours ago, Get Phobo said:

Anyway, about those air vents: They seem to be already pre-destructed in the map. See what I get when hovering over such a texture in Doom Builder.

There’s instances of both - a lot of them are pre-destroyed but I remember at least one that had to be shot to be opened.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Epic 2 starts with you breaking into a ruin, IIRC.

You're right. It works exactly the same way my solution does, and it makes a lot of sense with the wooden panels.

It also has the same limitations in vanilla, so only player hitscan weapons can destroy it.

Is the ceiling of the bloodfall pillar on Doom 2's MAP25 also a feature? Looks like the skybox is covering the top of the walls a bit here. :)

ATjfYZB.png

I recently realized on E4M1 that there's a secret door by the hallway leading to the room to the red skull key that you can use without having to take the lift out the window.

8 hours ago, Erick said:

Is the ceiling of the bloodfall pillar on Doom 2's MAP25 also a feature? Looks like the skybox is covering the top of the walls a bit here. :)

It's a mapping bug.

Interestingly, it does not apply in PlayStation Doom or Doom 64, where the renderer will happily draw geometry behind the sky, an effect that is used to create fake 3D architecture.

Don't bother, Wikipedia loves deleting stuff that's supposedly "not notable", which is anything on the Internet that's not owned by a megacorporation.

4 hours ago, Jaska said:

Why it has been deleted?

because there are no defined rules, and admins (or how they're called there) are there mostly to stroke their egos.

They call themselves "volunteers" on there, too. It just sometimes feels like a fan club mentality where they consider information added by said volunteers more reliable than actual facts.

Bit more on topic, anybody ever saved the wad from this post?

Not really something about Doom itself, but in recent weeks I discovered that classic Doom on PC, whether source port or DOSBox, are giving me really annoying motion sickness. I don't get it from any of the console versions I've tested. Actually same thing is happening just by watching youtube vids.