Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Sandy often used candles to mark secret doors, the radsuit sprite has nukage stains on it's boots, straferunning is slightly faster in the unity ports, and every e1 lump is duplicated in both the registered and ultimate iwads.

1 hour ago, LoneAlpha2401 said:

straferunning is slightly faster in the unity ports

This is only half true. You can strafe run as fast even in vanilla Doom but it requires doing to right inputs to perform SR50. The Doom Classic port seems to have its input adjusted (either by mistake or something related to how the gamepad input was adapted) so that 50 units is always performed when strafing, and you don't seem to be able to move any faster than that regardless of what inputs you press.

Fun fact, for a while we had the exact same bug in Strife: Veteran Edition, which was recently fixed when we did the Switch port as it actually broke the run speed modifier when on low health otherwise (In Strife, you aren't meant to be able to run when on <= 10 health, but running is only controlled by the input builder, not an actual ingame behaviour).

6 hours ago, yunogasai666 said:

Apparently a lot of people hate E2M2's crate maze; i cannot for the life of me figure out why.

at least for me it's because it is a boring Wolfenstein-like structure (like most Doom mazes, actually). once you've seen one of those, you've seen them all, and they aren't really interesting to walk.

My least favorite maze is actually the one in E1M2.  I don’t know why, maybe I’ve just played it too many times, but it always just felt this combination of unnerving and super tedious that makes me just want to bypass it completely. Although I do enjoy the chainsaw secret, because Doom donuts are fun.

1 hour ago, StupidBunny said:

My least favorite maze is actually the one in E1M2.

same here. i'm usually simply nocliping to the chainsaw instead. this is one of the few things in vanilla i am always skipping.

6 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

multiple sky textures in one map.

Eviternity map26 uses this quite liberally, for example.

There is a door mistake in original Doom E2M4 that can make you stuck. I just wonder how I've never noticed it so far, I was watching videos on doom editing from a youtube channel that mentioned it.

When you reach the yellow door, in the room where teh yellow key is under a crusher, one side has a D1 (Door Open Stay Yellow) instead of DR. The linedef on the other side has a DR (open and then close, no key requirements). The reason I didn't notice is that once I open the door from one side, I'd pass through. One would have to press use on air to open/close the door and then run back to the previous room. Then the door would not be open again and you have to noclip.

Alien Vendetta Map10:

There is an outline of a spider with the linedefs on the Automap at the beginning of the level. I've always noticed this but I just connected it to the fact that you fight a Spider Mastermind at the end of the level, who is guarding the exit, so maybe that spider outline is foreshadowing that fight?

avmap10.png

On 1/17/2021 at 11:05 AM, Diabolución said:

I have realised Robert Kiana Carter had released an episode of nine levels for Doom II. Sadly, I am afraid it is gone forever and ever.

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/mirrors/ftp.3dportal.net/duke3d/maps/k-o/longhaul.txt

About the author:

10 levels in Cybex's book  'Lost Episodes of Doom'

9 levels for Doom ][      'Hell Streets'  (hellst.wad)@AOL.com

These 6 maps called 'Long Haul'

BobME@AOL.com

Darn, that's Doom history there. Would be cool if it showed up one day.

I realize there are a lot of things I didn't know about MAP20 in Doom 2. You can always miss a lot of things as most of the stuff are in nearby buildings you have to reach over travelling through lava. It's a nasty level and usually you'd skip stuff.

1. There is a soul sphere behind a building that I think I haven't found before. And since it's not marked as secret, you can easily miss it.

8t1b1Ck.jpg

2. A hidden alcove with BFG in one of the tower rooms, it wasn't even marked as a secret so when I completed 100% secrets I thought I was done with this level and missed this one. And guess what you had to reveal it? Shoot the fuckin red wall over the other side!

mOeUEHD.png

I just found out that nowadays, a Doomer does not, in fact, refer to a player of the video game Doom or the main character of said game :-(

Not so much found out, but i've adjusted my view a bit and had to admit that people who can play slaughtermaps are actually better players than those who don't, and i've exaggerated the amount of luck involved.  i watched Decino play something blind last night, and today some pacifist runs of Plutonia and i think those guys could beat any normal difficult maps without any trouble.  Oh and yesterday i also watched someone play Toilet of the Gods - geeshuz, what a beautiful set, but unplayable for normal people!  (i know those examples aren't completely slaughtermaps, but it'd get unnecessary complicated to delineate the whole thought...but it started from watching slaughtermaps and thinking.. bahumbag!)  Haha!

On 1/21/2021 at 2:44 PM, Maes said:

I just found out that nowadays, a Doomer does not, in fact, refer to a player of the video game Doom or the main character of said game :-(

That just seems like doomsayers defined on the wrong page to be honest..

Edit : Aside from the stupid 4Chan section.. why is that even on wikipedia wtf.

On 1/20/2021 at 12:50 AM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Yeah but Eviternity can't run under MBF.

Yeah, but it can and it does and it works with multiple skyboxes just fine:

map26_mbf204.png.45ddcb021a554a6917e34cef5ded9f80.png

E3M2, E3M3, E3M5 and E3M6 are all basically the same - a large playground with many optional sidetracks and a small portion with the exit locked away by - always - the blue skullkey. The only major key differences are a secret yellow skull (no pun intended on this one) in E3M5 and a secret exit in E3M6.

On this note, it is also kinda funny how red and yellow skullkeys, which are of far more typical Hell hues than blue, are also way more scarce in the original game. It's like id thought, since the blue slot is the topmost one, it also should be a primary staple and nearly always the first one to grab.

It may have also been because the blue skull key stod out more than the yellow or red in Hell themed maps.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:07 PM, Vermil said:

It may have also been because the blue skull key stod out more than the yellow or red in Hell themed maps.

image.png.a5cd23492c62ae8c36ea658d3ceb46a2.png

Tsk, tsk. It is Sandy's Inferno™ we're talking about.

E3 had a considerable amount of blue to reckon. E4 and anything past MAP20 of Doom2, Plutonia and TNT didn't even come close combined.
(Though The Chasm and Habitat still did a pretty darn good job in that department.)

Doom II Map 11:

I just found out that you can snipe out the Imps that wait for you at the top of the lifts at the end of the level from here. My quality of life has greatly improved.

doom2map11.png