Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

If you resize your browser window, Doomworld switches the layout to a different one with less everything, and if you resize it even more, the cyberdemon by the logo gets smoothly yoinked offscreen until you change it back.

On 6/14/2021 at 4:18 AM, Gez said:

Labor unions.

How do you think the UAC keep its workers in line despite the utter lack of OSHA safety measures, the frequent ritual sacrifices, and the constant demon invasion?

Why do you think they have the Space Marines on a speed dial?

considering doomguy was ordered to fire on protesting civilians, that...actually makes a lot of sense

I found out that the specter effect wasn't a sprite but is actually an effect, and through the use of dehack files any enemy can have the specter effect and even objects can.

5 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

If you resize your browser window, Doomworld switches the layout to a different one with less everything, and if you resize it even more, the cyberdemon by the logo gets smoothly yoinked offscreen until you change it back.

That's the mobile/tablet layouts. The layout used is done dynamically based off the viewport and scaling of the browser, rather than the user agent.

14 hours ago, Plank_Guy_89 said:

I found out that the specter effect wasn't a sprite but is actually an effect, and through the use of dehack files any enemy can have the specter effect and even objects can.

I used to think invisible imps appeared in the campaigns as well as demons, a bit disappointed to find it's not just a flag you can put on any monster!

On 6/17/2021 at 5:59 AM, Plank_Guy_89 said:

Skillsaw used this effect to create invisible Archviles in Valiant without running out of DeHackEd entity states, and due to specific hard-coded limits in the DOOM engine - other monsters (other invisible Archviles included) could actually attack the invisible Archviles, because they were considered to be their own separate entity in the wad, unlike normal Archviles - which are hard-coded to have some special privileges in the wad and base game.

On 6/12/2021 at 8:17 PM, PSXDoomer said:

It's not a thing that I just found out but rather reminded of, that the Doom II manual refers to the super shotgun as the combat shotgun.

Forgot about that. Kind of amusing, as in real life a short barreled side by side would probably be the last shotgun you'd want in combat.

Well, maybe a short barreled breach loading shotgun with one barrel would be worse.

On 6/11/2021 at 5:34 PM, magicsofa said:

I just learned that the sky never changes in Doom 2 if you play continuously o.O

That's probably the bug I hate the most on vanilla lol

I just found out some things about the music used on the maps. On maps 1-30 (I'm skipping the Wolfenstein maps) there are 16 different songs.

6 are used only once: Maps 4, 9, 23, 25, 28, 30

6 are used twice: Maps 1+15, 3+21, 5+13, 10+16, 18+27, 20+26

4 are used three times: 2+11+17,  6+12+24, 7+19+29, 8+14+22

The biggest gap between repeats is 18 maps (3-21)

The smallest gap is 6 which happens 5 times: 11-17, 6-12, 8-14, 10-16, 20-26

when i put a cyberdemon in a skybox, i noticed that, in its idle animation facing the player, the right leg never touches the ground. like its doing some weird kick dance.

Just found out that if you get telefragged while you've got the invulnerability, the white filter stays on your vision forever.  I suspect this might be similar behavior with other powerups when you die (like radsuit, berzerk and lightamp goggles) but have never stuck around after death long enough to notice it.  

Also, like when you die right when you're picking up an item, and your vision sometimes is froze in the lit-up "boop" moment? Know what I mean?? Like that

I recently found out that while editing a map, if you write a wall textures name into the floor\ceiling space, the wall texture will actually apply, it will look like "Unknown texture" in the deitor, but in the game it will look properly.

40 minutes ago, Shibainumaster said:

I recently found out that while editing a map, if you write a wall textures name into the floor\ceiling space, the wall texture will actually apply, it will look like "Unknown texture" in the deitor, but in the game it will look properly.

That's because you are using a map format that doesn't support textures-as-flats, but testing in a source port that does. Try it in vanilla and see what happens :P
If you select a different map format such as UDMF, the textures will display correctly.

Something semi-related: I learned recently that, when you put a sky texture on a ceiling and then lower it, the sky will be visible on the upper wall, even when it has another texture applied to it. The outdoor area of DBP 27 MAP01 is a good example to look at

I was watching a video from Sandy Petersen about his time at Ensemble Studios, and in the first video he brings up how ID Software had always wanted to make a flight simulator.

36 minutes ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

I just found out that the sfx in Doom 64 were actually first used in PSX Doom and it has shaken me to the very core of my being.

That's hardly anything surprising, they were made by the same people. You want weird? The sound effect for the plasma rifle in PSX Doom and Doom 64 is derived from the same sound effect for the plasma rifle used in the DWANGO series of WADs. However, while you would think that's DWANGO playing homage, that couldn't be further from the truth as the DWANGO series started (February 14, 1995) before PSX Doom was released (November 16, 1995).

Things about Heretic I found out somewhat recently:

Spoiler

skip to 1:16 below

And also:

Spoiler

skip to 1:45 below

Hexen, it just dawned on me that the three secret maps in Deathkings are based on the three guardians form Seven Portals.

Whatever map you're in, the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind alert sounds will always play at full volume. This is very noticeable when you're far away from the monster when it wakes up. The Barons alert sound will play at normal volume (decreases with distance), even though they are kinda of a boss monster too. 

Recently found out in E1M4 a deathmatch start on the ledge with the blue armor in the north-eastern room of the map was removed, because the player can trigger the monster closet in the corner, and then the single use elevator, which will then rise up too far and close off the closet and potentially trap any players inside.  This doesn't affect the single-player campaign at all, but I love learning about obscure ways to break these old-school joints 

Just now, Maximum Matt said:

Recently found out in E1M4 a deathmatch start on the ledge with the blue armor in the north-eastern room of the map was removed, because the player can trigger the monster closet in the corner, and then the single use elevator, which will then rise up too far and close off the closet and potentially trap any players inside.  This doesn't affect the single-player campaign at all, but I love learning about obscure ways to break these old-school joints 

where or how did you learn this?

This page about the revisional differences between the different versions of Doom.  Absolutely fascinating to a guy like me

EDIT: THIS damn page. (I'll leave the link to Romero up, though, it can't hurt)

Edited by Maximum Matt : I'm a stooge