Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Just a little while ago figured out the actual firing pattern of the mancubus. For whatever reason I thought it was towards you and to the right (your right), then towards you and to the left, and then like a little to the left and a little to the right (not directly at you). I have no idea why I thought this was the case. I would like never actually dodge the third volley correctly. I guess since if a mancubus actually got to shoot its third volley it would be because I'm not actively attacking at it and paying full attention to it. Just a couple minutes ago I was attacking a mancubus with a chaingun and it didn't go into its pain state so I got a good look at its attack and noticed that its last shot is just the same as the first, towards you and to the right, so no wonder I was so bad at dodging the third attack. Only been playing for like a year but still I have no idea how I didn't notice this sooner.

The ceiling in this area of E3M9 was raised, above the blood lake's sky height, which made an horrible skyline. E3M1 is in the first screenshot for comparison. 

Zm7CMzt.png

1 hour ago, axdoomer said:

The ceiling in this area of E3M9 was raised, above the blood lake's sky height, which made an horrible skyline. E3M1 is in the first screenshot for comparison. 

Yeah I never understood why that was changed - it also makes the front door raise up further, which allows the player to press the 'door close' button to the right of the door and run inside before it closes, breaking the damn level

3 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

This page about the revisional differences between the different versions of Doom.  Absolutely fascinating to a guy like me

Nice pic of John Romero. :)

I'm confused right now - who actually made the Jaguar levels, American McGee or Sandy Petersen? Because Sandy said he himself did the level conversions.

I noticed that every room that has monsters teleporting in, also have a small untextured spot that looks like a hole, usually placed in a top corner.

It looks like the teleporting monsters are going through that hole, from an unreachable room on the other side.

It's a "sound tunnel", which lets the noise of the player attacks reach the monster closet so that the monsters wake up and start wandering into the teleport lines.

13 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Recently found out in E1M4 a deathmatch start on the ledge with the blue armor in the north-eastern room of the map was removed, because the player can trigger the monster closet in the corner, and then the single use elevator, which will then rise up too far and close off the closet and potentially trap any players inside.  This doesn't affect the single-player campaign at all, but I love learning about obscure ways to break these old-school joints 

I never would've thought they used "raise to lowest ceiling" instead of "raise to next floor" on that line! That's so weird.

10 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Yeah I never understood why that was changed - it also makes the front door raise up further, which allows the player to press the 'door close' button to the right of the door and run inside before it closes, breaking the damn level

First they made E3M1 badly, then they copied it to make E3M9, then finally they fixed E3M1... without fixing E3M9. There's also another error with the bridge not sinking properly in E3M9.

13 hours ago, BaileyTW said:

Just a little while ago figured out the actual firing pattern of the mancubus. For whatever reason I thought it was towards you and to the right (your right), then towards you and to the left, and then like a little to the left and a little to the right (not directly at you). I have no idea why I thought this was the case. I would like never actually dodge the third volley correctly. I guess since if a mancubus actually got to shoot its third volley it would be because I'm not actively attacking at it and paying full attention to it. Just a couple minutes ago I was attacking a mancubus with a chaingun and it didn't go into its pain state so I got a good look at its attack and noticed that its last shot is just the same as the first, towards you and to the right, so no wonder I was so bad at dodging the third attack. Only been playing for like a year but still I have no idea how I didn't notice this sooner.

i though the third shot was aimed at both left and right

27 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

There's also another error with the bridge not sinking properly in E3M9.

Oooohhh what's the error??

4 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

I'm confused right now - who actually made the Jaguar levels, American McGee or Sandy Petersen? Because Sandy said he himself did the level conversions.

I wanna know who spiked Americn McGee's drink!!! They were hanging out with Trent Reznor AND 'the Pantera guys'?!!?  Awesome!!!  (I know singer Phil Anselmo was recording his vocals in Reznor's studio at the time - was he there with the ID guys?? Did he know about the Doom music ripping off Mouth For War and This Love, and was getting his revenge?!!?! So many questions!!)

36 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

D'OH!!!!!!!!

Sorry man, this is the page.  I was also commenting on/spamming the greatest thread in Doomworld's history when I replied, and got the links mixed up. My bad!!

All good my friend! :) Thanks for the link.

It worked out really well, because thanks to this minor mix up, I have now been enlightened to TEH GREATEST THREAD EVA!!! 

<-- iS NOW ON A mISSION FROM GOD TO CONTRIBUTE 

<--soz caps but i'm not even...

13 hours ago, BaileyTW said:

Just a little while ago figured out the actual firing pattern of the mancubus. For whatever reason I thought it was towards you and to the right (your right), then towards you and to the left, and then like a little to the left and a little to the right (not directly at you).

I got a good look at its attack and noticed that its last shot is just the same as the first, towards you and to the right...

(Bold and italics added)

I bolded what is correct and put into italics what is incorrect. You were right all along. The third volley is not the same as the first. This is easily noticeable from a distance. If you stand still, his right shot from the first volley will hit you, his left shot from the second will hit you, and neither from the third will hit you. However, on the third volley, his right shot is at a small angle, so it will hit you if you don't move unless you are something like 300+ units away. So, from very close, the first and third end up quite similar in practice.

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

(Bold and italics added)

I bolded what is correct and put into italics what is incorrect. You were right all along. The third volley is not the same as the first. This is easily noticeable from a distance. If you stand still, his right shot from the first volley will hit you, his left shot from the second will hit you, and neither from the third will hit you. However, on the third volley, his right shot is at a small angle, so it will hit you if you don't move unless you are something like 300+ units away. So, from very close, the first and third end up quite similar in practice.

Okay I think I found out why I thought the last shot looked the same. If you dodge the third shot like you would the first shot the third shot looks like the first shot very convincingly. Tested it again on a map with close and far mancubi and for a bit I thought maybe the third shot changes if you are on the move, but nope just appears to.

I found out that the Super Shotgun is as strong as a Cyberdemon is. This means that the SSG isn't just an ordinary double barrel

In a newly spawned actor, any state action routine ("code pointer" in Dehacked terminology - I'm not sure what the most correct name for these are) in the spawn state (Dehacked - "frame") is not executed. P_SpawnMobj just sets the fields itself instead of calling P_SetMobjState. A comment explains "action routines cannot be called yet", referring to the majority use case of P_SpawnMobj during level setup.

However it does mean any action routine attached to a spawn state will not be called, even after the level has started. In particular, today's discovery is that archvile fire clouds never call A_StartFire, and so you will never hear the sound effect DSFLAMST.

I just found out that the small side screens in COMPSTA2 are two pixels wider than the ones in COMPSTA1. The upper one is also one pixel taller. I was so sure the screen sizes of the two were identical, until now...

tomwani.gif.e2b3176d88eea7bc01ca3f6356f11baa.gif

I just found out that port 666 is still "reserved" for Doom, not that it matters much. I think of it as the cave-painting that represents video game history :)

For heretic, I just found out that the tome of power has an extra effect. Usually when you go through a teleporter you're stuck in place for a second, but if you have the tome active when you teleport you can move almost straight away. The wiki doesn't even mention this so I might add it later.

In Doom v1.1, you can't telefrag monsters. Also, linedefs actions that teleport monsters only didn't exist in this engine version. 

In all Doom versions: This door on the left has a tutti-frutti in the top (E3M5). It is never seen in-game because it's a door that opens but never closes and the player comes from the other side. 

image.png.ec4866fbd81602b02209fd371c595e44.png

On the same map, you can shoot plasma bullets on this wall (cyan) and it will damage/kill monsters on the other side. I would guess it's because collision detection is  done on monsters first and plasma projectiles travel fast enough to bypass any collision test against the wall. 
image.png.8c426085e6a73f90ae667be10ff583df.png

On 7/22/2021 at 4:08 PM, axdoomer said:

On the same map, you can shoot plasma bullets on this wall (cyan) and it will damage/kill monsters on the other side.

I tried that and it doesn't work - you doing that on Vanilla or a later sorceport?

I tell ya what, though, you wanna see something cool, noclip into that monster closet and press use on the yellow linedefs, and see what happens :-)

10 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Our previous conceptions of map authorship in Episode 1 have been soundly shattered. 🤔

My whole life has been a lie. 

These Sandy episodes are essential viewing for anyone on this forum.

14 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

I tried that and it doesn't work - you doing that on Vanilla or a later sorceport?

Vanilla Doom, version 1.1. Shoot in a straight line, when the monsters walk along the wall, you'll hear them get hurt. If it doesn't work, try different distances from the wall. 

14 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

I tell ya what, though, you wanna see something cool, noclip into that monster closet and press use on the yellow linedefs, and see what happens :-)

Holy cow, this broke the map! These lines have the action S1 floor lower to lowest floor, but their tag is 0.

I was reading this thread and discovered there were levels rejected from the master levels.

Stop and think about that for a moment.

8 minutes ago, Kyka said:

I was reading this thread and discovered there were levels rejected from the master levels.

Stop and think about that for a moment.

Basically, there were levels so bad they made all the other ones in TML look good?

That is...interesting.

Three of Tom Mustaine's maps were rejected, but none of those seem to be because of poor quality. One was too short (and became TNT Map01), one was too similar to a Doom II map, and with the last I don't think it's been officially stated, but it seems it was already avaiable as Map06 of #1dwango, and id didn't want any of the Master Levels to be something already available online. It still became Map17 of TNT.

Then there are Christen Klie's maps. While I don't like a single map he's made, (and keep in mind, I'm okay with pretty much everything else in the Master Levels) I think it's more likely some of his submissions were rejected because otherwise almost half the project would just be his maps, which wouldn't be fair to the other contributors.

There's a few missing textures in Doom II's MAP 29 found in the Arch-vile room, about five of them:

Screenshot_Doom_20210804_155700.png?width=1206&height=679

The other four can't actually be seen in-game but it's on top of the switch, you can see it by typing the "fly" command in the console if your source port has it:

Screenshot_Doom_20210804_160720.png?width=1206&height=679 Screenshot_Doom_20210804_160746.png?width=1206&height=679

What they look like in Doom Builder:

mistex1.png?width=1206&height=679 mistex2.png?width=1206&height=679

When you telefrag something , apparently how much overlap there is between the two hitboxes matters, such that the corpse can go flying, similarly to when rocketed or barreled, when telefragged "at an angle." However, this only seems to be in effect in less advanced ports.

On 6/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, Ar_e_en said:

Skillsaw used this effect to create invisible Archviles in Valiant without running out of DeHackEd entity states, and due to specific hard-coded limits in the DOOM engine - other monsters (other invisible Archviles included) could actually attack the invisible Archviles, because they were considered to be their own separate entity in the wad, unlike normal Archviles - which are hard-coded to have some special privileges in the wad and base game.

In fact, any monster that replaces an Arch-Vile in a WAD also inherits its special privileges.

5 hours ago, RileyXY1 said:

In fact, any monster that replaces an Arch-Vile in a WAD also inherits its special privileges.

Yup :)