Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

...you just climbed on the bridge and died? Was the quick bridge-raising the awesome find in question for you?

11 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

...you just climbed on the bridge and died? Was the quick bridge-raising the awesome find in question for you?

Ugh, I attached the wrong demo. The previous post should make more sense now. 

A couple of textures from Mayan Temple from 1994 were reused in TNT Evilution's MAP23 and MAP31. These are CAVERN1, CAVERN4, CAVERN5, CAVERN6, CAVERN7, CARLLEFT, CARLLF2, CARLRGHT, CARLRT2 and STONE. CARLLEFT and CARLRGHT were renamed to CARLLF1 and CARLRT1 respectively, while STONE was renamed to STONEW1, and CAVERN5 was modified to have a transparent hole as an entrance to match the other textures in the IWAD (DRFRONT, GRNOPEN, REDOPEN & BRNOPEN). So yes, custom textures from 1994 were turned into official id Software textures for use in Final Doom as a commercial Doom product released in 1996.

It may sound dumb and obvious but i learned that id Software and Raven Software offices were on the same floor and almost next to each other which made cooperation between them much easier, and that John Romero had a deep involvement in the development of both Hereric and Hexen

Doom's OPL patches (well, actually Scott Host's patches) were in fact derived from stock OPL patches, that, for example, was used in Windows 3 adlib/sb drivers. While majority of patches were heavily edited/made from scratch there are still few patches that didn't change much or remained unchanged.

I recorded few Doom midi files with both Doom and Windows 3 patches if you want to compare. Especially D_BUNNY and D_E2M7 are good examples.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YgoFaf4lsssJlZqgKH54sgmpqumbJFTU?usp=sharing

On mercredi 16 mars 2022 at 5:38 AM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

A couple of textures from Mayan Temple from 1994 were reused in TNT Evilution's MAP23 and MAP31. These are CAVERN1, CAVERN4, CAVERN5, CAVERN6, CAVERN7, CARLLEFT, CARLLF2, CARLRGHT, CARLRT2 and STONE. CARLLEFT and CARLRGHT were renamed to CARLLF1 and CARLRT1 respectively, while STONE was renamed to STONEW1, and CAVERN5 was modified to have a transparent hole as an entrance to match the other textures in the IWAD (DRFRONT, GRNOPEN, REDOPEN & BRNOPEN). So yes, custom textures from 1994 were turned into official id Software textures for use in Final Doom as a commercial Doom product released in 1996.

That makes sense, considering the author of Mayan Temple, Paul Turnbull, was one of the members of Team TNT that worked on Evilution.

Also remember that TNT: Evilution was originally supposed to be just another community-made megawad. It becoming an official product was a last minute surprise, and quite controversial back then.

I didn't realize until just a few months ago that the mancubus makes the same breathing sound as the former humans.  25 years of playing Doom 2 and I never noticed that (unless it's a GZDoom thing for some reason).

The F_SKY1 flat in Doom Builder is the Doom press release beta episode 1 sky. On that note, this skybox looks really nice with the harsh shadows and pitch black space.

image.png.fc6617b8ceaec5e006e8be302a851d15.pngimage.png.02a319286cfb5c2689cc8602845137bf.png

While going through the Doom sprites, I noticed that rockets change design when firing them. The rocket pickup itself doesn't have red rings on the tip but the mid-flight sprite does. Also, it's a little more short and squat in it's pickup form, about the length of the mid-flight version when viewed from a 45-degree angle.

image.png.ff1ccc421711692dc56d1c685cb0a3aa.png

Maybe it's a developer oversight? This is probably obvious to some people but I didn't really notice until just recently.

18 minutes ago, DiR said:

Also, it's a little more short and squat in it's pickup form

That's because it's vertical instead of horizontal. Try again with aspect ratio correction on, it becomes sensibly more similar in proportions. (I get body width equal to ~27% of body length for pickup, and to ~25% for the projectile. So still a little bit squatter but not that much.)

However, the pickup is definitely smaller than the projectile. Which, like the red ring, makes sense from a gameplay perspective; it's important to make the projectiles easier to see (and therefore dodge).

9 minutes ago, Gez said:

That's because it's vertical instead of horizontal. Try again with aspect ratio correction on, it becomes sensibly more similar in proportions. (I get body width equal to ~27% of body length for pickup, and to ~25% for the projectile. So still a little bit squatter but not that much.)

However, the pickup is definitely smaller than the projectile. Which, like the red ring, makes sense from a gameplay perspective; it's important to make the projectiles easier to see (and therefore dodge).

Ah, right. I completely forgot about the aspect ratio correction, it makes more sense now when you put it that way.

In regards to the pickup sprite being different, I guess maybe it's on purpose? I definitely didn't notice it until I had a look at the individual sprites. Possibly even a happy accident where they got the best of having both a non-obtrusive item pickup and a more visually distinct projectile by forgetting to update the pickup sprite.

I'm not going to stop thinking about it whenever I fight a cyberdemon or pick up a rocket though.

On 3/31/2022 at 2:04 PM, Spineapple tea said:

The F_SKY1 flat in Doom Builder is the Doom press release beta episode 1 sky. On that note, this skybox looks really nice with the harsh shadows and pitch black space.

image.png.fc6617b8ceaec5e006e8be302a851d15.pngimage.png.02a319286cfb5c2689cc8602845137bf.png

That's not just Doom Builder.  I've seen that flat in all the older editors too, and that flat is in the actual wad.

Also sometimes my mind is blown by a Decino video.  Like I just learned about Monster Paralysis.

Edited by illYay1337

1 hour ago, illYay1337 said:

That's not just Doom Builder.  I've seen that flat in all the older editors too, and that flat is in the actual wad.

Yes, F_SKY1 is technically a normal flat. It just gets replaced by the engine.

Heretic actually has an invalid flat (it's just 4 pixels instead of 4096) in its IWAD. The rest (including Hexen) all have valid flats that you just don't get to see.

tzF1vis.pngtfE3Nse.pngBcn1fjn.pngGrtEIm6.pngVBkFYG7.pngZbmyZlt.png

Hexen, Strife, Chex Quest, Hacx, Harmony, and the barely visible one (2x2 pixels) is Heretic.

Yes, "Happy sun!" is Strife's sky. Harmony got a happy star in homage to it.

I found out that theres a pk3 which gives doom (original) the "a Visit to id Software" look and also changes e1 maps, also i found out about this (maybe in 2021?) iwad called blasphemer, it is a heretic iwad that has replacment assets, simillar goals to freedoom.

Sector 666 won't trigger on E1M8 if some Barons are tagged multiplayer-only even though you are playing single-player.

Edit: that was a bug on my map :'(

Edited by axdoomer

I never actually knew that Chaingunners could get gibbed until very very recently. Their death animation is already basically them getting gibbed so I never noticed until it was pointed out.

After watching one of Frozen Particle's videos, now I know that you can rush to the exit (without needing to hunt for any keys) in MAP22: The Habitat from TNT: Evilution. Also weirdly enough, you can only lower the elevator leading to the exit from only a specific angle

By the way, I remember the first time I played that map, it was very ugly to the point I lost the desire to continue playing TNT, lol (it seems the community also has the same general opinion about the map)

The Ultimate Doom TITLEPIC background is not a perfect match to the Inferno sky. The sky's mountains fade to black, while on the TITLEPIC they fade to brown with some additional black shadows. The clouds are also a little different.

I tried adjusting the texture alignment in a map and instead of hitting shift to adjust it by a pixel, I hit control and the texture got smaller and tiled itself.

The console flats appear in six doom/doom2 levels total:

E1M2 - 15 (including 6 in visible but humanly unreachable spots)
E1M5 - 9 (all of them on ceilings in one room, 6 of them sideways)
E2M6 - 2 (one backwards cause there's no right-facing console graphic)
E2M7 - 2
MAP16 - 322 (can you guess where?)
MAP24 - 3 (all of them usable, one even makes a sound when you press it)

So ultimately they only make one meaningful reappearance in Doom 2, but what a glorious comeback that is.

Unrelated fact: DOOR1 (the small non-entrance, non-exit door) only shows up on E1M2 in the shareware episode, both times on the inner side of a secret door. I recall the one in the soulsphere switch room, but I only just found out the other one exists.

23 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

MAP16 - 322 (can you guess where?)

Without looking I know they are:

Spoiler

Inside the monster teleporter holding area. Sandy evidently didn't want computers inside his actual house :)

Precisely! As I started going through the maps and counting I thought, this seems like @RjY's area of expertise!

Here's an extra-super-niche fact I learned on my quest: the DOOR1 doors on E2M7 have the door texture on both their upper and lower textures for some reason.

10 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

Precisely! As I started going through the maps and counting I thought, this seems like @RjY's area of expertise!

Haha, thanks. Funnily enough I found this one years before I started datamining wads. I wanted a big computer console in a map, but I realised I had no idea which way round the flats are meant to face (i.e. at which side a user would stand). So I manually checked every place they were used in the IWADs, and have remembered this odd placement in MAP16 ever since.

Unsurprisingly, the IWADs were just as inconsistent as PWADs. I concluded E2M7 showed the original intended usage, further justified by the full eight-sided console that was briefly present in the Doom alpha versions when the map was still E1M1. (Of course, I ended up having to use the flats the wrong way round anyway. I had unwittingly made the map so the console needed to face the one direction for which the flat is missing. It was too late to change, I did not dare risk rotating the entire map just for this one thing. So I shrugged, and just used it backwards. Happily, to the best of my knowledge, no-one noticed.)

10 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

Here's an extra-super-niche fact I learned on my quest: the DOOR1 doors on E2M7 have the door texture on both their upper and lower textures for some reason.

I think this might be a side effect of id's in-house map editor. There are lots of two-sided lines that have textures set on uppers and lowers that are never drawn. E.g. E2M4 has large numbers of two-sided lines with GRAYTALL (which I believe was the default, cf. STARTAN3 in DEU) as upper and lower textures on the invisible reverse side. (It put me in mind of Eureka, which also automatically fills in upper and lower textures on both sides of a two-sided line, in a similar way. I wish it did not, but there seems to be no way to turn it off.)