Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I recently found out you can leave numbered markers on the automap. I've been playing Doom since 1994 and never knew this.

There's a multiplayer-only cell pack hanging out in the void of the Circle of Death. If you want to pick it up, you'll have to noclip into the void, and go in the south-east corner of the map.

He kind of did the boundaries entirely the wrong way though, a much better way would have been to make at least some the boundary lines part of the map as physical walls, with windows so you can see outside, giving the impression that you're in an actual building.

Woolie Wool said:

He kind of did the boundaries entirely the wrong way though

Obviously, those boundaries were not meant to be part of the map, but just a temporal thing as a reminder where the building would end. In fact, no such boundary made it to the final game, and they did add outside areas with windows, obviously much later during development. There is no parallax sky in the alphas either.

On the subject of intermission screens, how exactly does Doom Guy get from one base to the other?

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090214004528/doom/images/e/e0/Episode1_intermission.png

Does he actually run all the way across the surface of the friggin' planet to get to each one? It's no wonder he runs so fast in this game, he must have +1 quadriceps from all the traveling.

I always assumed he moved though under the surface. But considering many of the exits like E1M7, no idea. Maybe it launches Doomguy into the next level (Some how?).

When confronted by the mentally unstable, mimic Doom Monster noises to establish dominance.

I always thought the exit switches were simply switch-based teleporters?

MetroidJunkie said:

On the subject of intermission screens, how exactly does Doom Guy get from one base to the other?

According to the Doom Bible, he uses the underground monorail. That idea is also used in "Knee Deep in ZDoom".
And in episodes 2 and 3, he probably uses teleporters.

Teleporters are not supposed to appear before E1M8, yet they added a secret one in E1M5 some time after release, which still feels strange to me.

There is a teleport in E1M9 which comes before E1M8. But not everyone sees it on their way to Hell.

Krazov said:

There is a teleport in E1M9 which comes before E1M8.

True. That one is a special case, though, since it is used by the monsters only.

Was jetting through E2 just for fun the other night, and somehow in all these years I always missed the quite obvious backpack secret in Containment Area that feeds off of those blue hallways with the "damaging" floor tiles in the middle. For some reason I always bypassed that entire section of the map, likely distracted on my way to the plasma gun or something.

Jaxxoon R said:

The demon's pain sound sounds vaguely like it's saying "ow."

The Hell Knights definitely say "Habla", and Mancubi say "Hungry Mom" as they shoot!

Doomkid said:

The Hell Knights definitely say "Habla", and Mancubi say "Hungry Mom" as they shoot!

Haha, thanks! I'll definitely hear this too next time I'm playing :D Always thought the Manc was just gurgling its name when firing.

Uncle 80 said:

Always thought the Manc was just gurgling its name when firing.

He is... isn't he? I always thought it was saying "Mancubi."

Diamhea said:

I always thought it was saying "Mancubi."

No way. At least as I hear it.

There have been numerous threads on this subject. There is no universally accepted interpretation of his words, as it seems.

scifista42 said:

No way. At least as I hear it.

There have been numerous threads on this subject. There is no universally accepted interpretation of his words, as it seems.

The only Doom monster that sounds like it was meant to be actual words instead of garble is the Icon of Sin. XD

To me, the Mancubus attacking always sounded like "hunger mon" - so fairly close to "Hungry mom" mentioned hee.

When the Spider Mastermind spots you, to me, I always hear "Where were you?"

And finally, as a kid, in PSX Doom/Doom 64, the Hell Knight dying was "Olah olah olah" and the Cacodemon hissing was just the sound of water coming from a shower.

I always thought the Spider Mastermind made like a "turning on" sound when it saw you.

Like, since it looks like a cyborg I thought it powered up or something.

I swear the manc is saying "I'm your mama!" when it fires. Am I the only one who hears this? o_o

I've always heard it as "man goo my" so I have an easier time understanding people who thing it says "mancubi" than your mama thing.

I wonder if most of you actually think the mancubus ever said anything at all or if you just think your interpretation sounds funny.

It's just making noise. There is no speech there. Your mind tells you it's speech because it is repetitious amongst the monsters...but that's because it's just a game.

I can relate to the people who hear the Mancubus saying it's name while firing it's weapons. I also hear the Arch-Vile say Arachnotron whenever it dies.