Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Yes, that's the behaviour of floor crushers: They raise up to the ceiling (actually 8 units below it) while crushing you, but if you don't receive enough damage to die until and after the floor movement stops, you simply get stuck in there. Applies to monsters as well as to the player, of course. The programmer of the action apparently didn't take this into account at all.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Linedef_type#Varieties_of_floors:

A floor action can have the crush property, in which case players and monsters are crushed when the floor tries to move above the point where they fit exactly underneath the ceiling. This means they take damage until they die, leave the sector, or the floor action is stopped.

ABRACADABRA said:

mm what build of chocolate use it? my has none

You will have to build a current code snapshot for this. Anyway, I still have no idea what you mean with "somehow broken or lagged", even with the chainsaw.

drygnfyre said:

I just got through Map 10 on a Project Brutality run, despite starting the map with very little health and ammo from Map 9. It's very hard at first, especially the part where you're ambushed by a number of Pain Elementals and enemies, but after that, it's not too hard. It's a big, open map, so you can easily corral enemies (especially demons and zombies) into locations where you can pick them off. In addition, there is a good amount of ammo and health. I died many times at first, but after maybe my fifth attempt, I got through it and actually went into Map 11 with 200% health and nearly full ammo caches.

But E4 is just outright brutal. I do like the fact its difficult curve is "chaotic," it plays nicely into the episode, but realistically, M1 and M2 should have been something like M7 and M8. Hell Beneath is just ridiculous to not give you any medikits, you've got nine health potions, and that's it. Unless you're a really good Doom player, you pretty much have to leave the map at or near 100% health to even have a chance in Perfect Hatred.

I think a lot of it has to do with E4 being designed and released in 1995. By then, the original game was almost two years old and you had a lot of speedrunners and game experts. Had E4 been released with the other three back in 1995, I think there would have been some significant episode and map design changes.

Yeah, I'll have to give It a few tries. And yeah, that could be the reason why Episode 4 Is so hard, but It could've been easy anyways. I think they wanted to make It a more challenging episode to test our skills.

This DoomWorld parody ; http://haunt.8m.com/dumbworld.htm

Doomworld attracts attention
Linguica and the rest of the Doomworld crew have been hired by iD software to redesign the currently rather useless looking iD site. In a recent interview, Linguica said: "Well, as anyone with half a brain knows, I was only running Doomworld to get a bit of attention. And now it's paid off! As I no longer give a shit about Doom or Doomworld, I'm leaving the site in the hands of DaGGer and Mystican... And may they delete it's contents for all I care!"

Tritnew said:

Yeah, I'll have to give It a few tries. And yeah, that could be the reason why Episode 4 Is so hard, but It could've been easy anyways. I think they wanted to make It a more challenging episode to test our skills.

The only problem is after M2, the difficulty goes way down. Both M3 and M4 are a piece of cake by comparison. The former is wide open and the enemies are spaced far apart, so it's easy to run around and avoid fire. And the latter is just a small map without any powerful enemies, mainly just zombies, imps and some cacodemons.

FireFish said:

This DoomWorld parody ; http://haunt.8m.com/dumbworld.htm

Interesting. Never heard of that. How does one find that?
I like how most of the links are fake.

Hoodie said:

Is dumbworld really from 98? Cause, holy shit.

Looks authentic to me:

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Mozilla/4.6 [en-gb]C-CCK-MCD NetscapeOnline.co.uk  (Win98; I) [Netscape]">

I've found out that the shotgunguy who lurks behind the first secret door in MAP04 can be actually shot through the nearby window if you stand at the corner of the L-shaped corridor. He cannot be seen from this place, but his hitbox can be hit by a hitscan weapon.

You might remember that there are also 2 explosive barrels nearby, but they don't damage this shotgunguy when they explode, because one is too far from him and the other one's splash damage is blocked by a wall.

scifista42 said:

I've found out that the shotgunguy who lurks behind the first secret door in MAP04 can be actually shot through the nearby window if you stand at the corner of the L-shaped corridor.

Heh, I actually used this in map04 built uv-max.

From what I heard, DOOM's sounds are royalty free, and they were used In many movies and games. One sound I recently heard In UnJammer Lammy (a PaRappa The Rapper spin-off), It was one of the Zombie alerts.

Tritnew said:

From what I heard, DOOM's sounds are royalty free

Where did you hear that? They're not royalty free, they're from an expensive sound library.

Sodaholic said:

Where did you hear that? They're not royalty free, they're from an expensive sound library.

Do you know what royalties are?

"Royalty-free, or RF, refers to the right to use copyrighted material or intellectual property without the need to pay royalties or license fees for each use or per volume sold, or some time period of use or sales." Fact. It's ROYALITY FREE sounds, anyone could use It without paying.

Some of Doom's sounds are based on Royalty-Free sound effects from a sound library. They are not 1:1 copies of those sounds. Doom's sounds are modified and not distributed RF. You have not received a copy of royalty-free sound effects with Doom which you can do with what you please. If you want to obtain the originals you have to find them somewhere else.

Royalty-free doesn't mean you can use them without paying, it means you don't have to give a percent of your sales to the people you licensed the sounds from. You can still need to pay them a lump sum to use the sounds in the first place.

Tritnew said:

"Royalty-free, or RF, refers to the right to use copyrighted material or intellectual property without the need to pay royalties or license fees for each use or per volume sold, or some time period of use or sales." Fact. It's ROYALITY FREE sounds, anyone could use It without paying.

Keyword here is "for each use or per volume sold". That's not at all the same meaning as "without the need to pay at all". For that, you'll want "public domain", not "royalty free".

Oh, right, didn't know. But yeah, I've heard a ton of DOOM sounds being used In TV show, specially the elevator sound effect being used as a door sound In an American Dad episode. It's strange I mostly hear most of the sounds In animated shows. Sorry for the minor fuck up.

Tritnew said:

Oh, right, didn't know. But yeah, I've heard a ton of DOOM sounds being used In TV show, specially the elevator sound effect being used as a door sound In an American Dad episode. It's strange I mostly hear most of the sounds In animated shows. Sorry for the minor fuck up.

I guess hollywood blockbusters can afford to not use canned sounds from 1990 😇

VGA said:

I guess hollywood blockbusters can afford to not use canned sounds from 1990 😇

I know. :\ But yea, I've heard the sounds from DOOM so many times I can spot one being used pretty quickly.

Tritnew said:

I know. :\ But yea, I've heard the sounds from DOOM so many times I can spot one being used pretty quickly.

You will probably enjoy

(new) Doctor Who: Season 2, Episode 8 - The Impossible Planet
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0772457/

For more than just the Doom sound effects...

Jon said:

You will probably enjoy

(new) Doctor Who: Season 2, Episode 8 - The Impossible Planet
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0772457/

For more than just the Doom sound effects...

Oh man! Doctor Who, I love the show. This Is probably one of my favorite episodes from the series, I think the the concept of Satan and Hell Itself Is pretty great, even If I'm not satanic. I just love DOOM's take on Hell, Including DOOM 3's and the new DOOM's vision of Hell (though I think the new Hell gives me a more PSX/DOOM64 feel, which Is great).

I've been reading the "things id got wrong" thread, and this post was a shocking discovery. I never realized the Doomguy actually cracks the super shotgun open when reloading -- I always thought that animation frame shows him putting the shells into the barrel from the front. Now that I think about it, the way I envisioned it wouldn't make any sense.

JudgeDeadd said:

I've been reading the "things id got wrong" thread, and this post was a shocking discovery. I never realized the Doomguy actually cracks the super shotgun open when reloading -- I always thought that animation frame shows him putting the shells into the barrel from the front. Now that I think about it, the way I envisioned it wouldn't make any sense.

There are some mods that alter the sprites, and most usually redraw the SSG sprites to make it more obvious that it's a double break-open being reloaded.

The very first time I played Doom 2, I also thought Doomguy was actually turning the gun around to reload it.

JudgeDeadd said:

The game clearly shows the gun opening, a hand putting in the shells, to then close it while it plays a clicking sound. Maybe one could enlarge the screen to the point where the status bar disappears to then take a better look at the gun.
Its kind of odd to read your interpretation of it all.