Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

"If you don't know to do this, you're going to be in for a wooorld of hurt, pain, anguish and suffering."

God, how overdramatic..

Maybe it's just a ZDoom thing, but certain missile attacks (including BFG balls and plasma) cause a small blood puff when they hit. Normally it's hard to see, because of the "flashy" projectiles. You really have to be observing another actor (player or monster) getting hit and be at the right angle to see it (preferably flanking it). It's a bit ridiculous to think of a burning plasma ball or a rocket causing a single, mostly invisible blood puff.

Which port / version? Some monsters have a blood puff baked into their pain sprite, isn't it just that?

scifista42 said:

Guessing it's for the forum staff to discuss things like bans/loserings and changes to the forum software/hardware.

Is "losering" still a thing? Oh dear :-(

Way to get new users to behave themselves. Banish them to a "funny" subforum with no message hinting why they were sent there, no clue how long they will be confined there etc. And the "policy" for what gets you sent there? Oh that's none of your business, it's only for the little elite clique to know.

Way to drive away potential members of the community.

Actually losering now (generally) has a set time limit and reason which is visible to the user when it happens.

Linguica said:

Actually losering now (generally) has a set time limit and reason which is visible to the user when it happens.

If that's true then great. But you're a mod. If you can see these, are you sure the "luser" can also see them?

ReFracture said:

Oh please are we missing anything if somebody starts shit posting, gets losered, then never comes back?

If they were *really* shitposting then no. But if they happened to do something mundane that annoyed a mod on a bad day (and could not have predicted it would annoy them) yes.

banishdemons said:

If that's true then great. But you're a mod. If you can see these, are you sure the "luser" can also see them?

I'd say the guy who designed the fucking forum would have to mess up pretty hard to make an oversight like that.

Stapler said:

I'd say the guy who designed the fucking forum would have to mess up pretty hard to make an oversight like that.

Stranger things have happened, I assure you.

banishdemons said:

Is "losering" still a thing? Oh dear :-(

Way to get new users to behave themselves. Banish them to a "funny" subforum with no message hinting why they were sent there, no clue how long they will be confined there etc. And the "policy" for what gets you sent there? Oh that's none of your business, it's only for the little elite clique to know.

Actually its pretty neat to have such a thing.

Losering is like a trial: the loser can defend himself and try to gain back access to the forum.
And banning is like an execution: you get no chances to defend yourself. It just happens.

scifista42 said:

Which port / version? Some monsters have a blood puff baked into their pain sprite, isn't it just that?

Last time I saw it was last night, in a ZDaemon deathmatch. Players hit by the Plasma Rifle emitted a single blood splotch, but you had to be watching them from the flank to see it. Then again, in ZDaemon even a door closing on a player causes him to "shed blood" as if he was crushed under a press, even if no damage is dealt.

Typing the IDBEHOLD# cheat can toggle off the power-up you chose if you already have the same one.

Maes said:

Last time I saw it was last night, in a ZDaemon deathmatch. Players hit by the Plasma Rifle emitted a single blood splotch, but you had to be watching them from the flank to see it. Then again, in ZDaemon even a door closing on a player causes him to "shed blood" as if he was crushed under a press, even if no damage is dealt.

please ignore my post.

banishdemons said:

And the "policy" for what gets you sent there? Oh that's none of your business, it's only for the little elite clique to know.

https://www.doomworld.com/vbmisc/faq.php

Hardly top secret

Maes said:

That's really strange, I've been playing ZDaemon forever and haven't noticed that.. Was the server you were in using the most up to date build?

There's a secret BFG on MAP25: Bloodfalls

There's also a reason for this, take a guess

Rayzik said:

There's also a BFG in the open at the blood pillar area that's toggled off on all difficulties, including multiplayer, no idea why it's there.

Rayzik said:

Spoiler

So that you can kill monsters with it.

I guess I should have worded that better: Guess why I didn't know that it was there

Spoiler

It only appears on Skills 1, 2, and 3

rdwpa said:

Spoiler

So that you can kill monsters with it.

How do you kill monsters with it if it never exists???

I found that if you import the entire DOOM WAD into Audacity, You'll pretty much get static and dial-up noises, but at some parts and for up to ~2 minutes, you will get the completely normal Doom sounds mixed in. Slow it down, and it's entirely recognizable.

Edit: It also breaks your game. (Won't start up)

Saturn said:

I found that if you import the entire DOOM WAD into Audacity, You'll pretty much get static and dial-up noises, but at some parts and for up to ~2 minutes, you will get the completely normal Doom sounds mixed in. Slow it down, and it's entirely recognizable.

Do we have some sort ot telephatic connection, because of my last post. I used Audacity right there. :D

Lore said:

Do we have some sort ot telephatic connection, because of my last post. I used Audacity right there. :D

It's because I remembered about fucking up non-audio in audio programs from you. :p

I also tried messing with the Doom 1.1 WAD and EXE using a hex editor. I completely atom-bombed them both times (Didn't start).

Well, i've just realised something really horrible.
Since we all here play a 1993 game, that means.. that we all are actually hipsters. Shit, now i know why i don't have any friends..