Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Juza said:

There's this little area in MAP14 of Doom 2 that starts a crusher in the room nearby, and also allows you to close the door. It's seems to be a trap for deathmatch.

 

 

Also, some of the walls in the corridor have lower unpegged, seemingly accidently set, meaning they move with the crusher.

 

Not to mention one of the windows lacks impassible lines, though this one isn't an issue because players can't fit through the gap.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Juza said:

There's this little area in MAP14 of Doom 2 that starts a crusher in the room nearby, and also allows you to close the door. It's seems to be a trap for deathmatch.

hello there.png

 

Apparently it was a trap made specifically for John Romero. The crusher room contains a rocket launcher, which is John Romero's favorite weapon.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Scypek2 said:

 

Apparently it was a trap made specifically for John Romero. The crusher room contains a rocket launcher, which is John Romero's favorite weapon.

Lol those clever jerks.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/27/2018 at 7:43 AM, Scypek2 said:

 

Apparently it was a trap made specifically for John Romero. The crusher room contains a rocket launcher, which is John Romero's favorite weapon.

 

I wonder if he ever got caught by it? He seems like the type who would laugh and take it well, even though he was swearing vengeance upon whomever pressed the button to start the crusher and on American McGee for designing it.

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of Romero ...

 

This may have been mentioned somewhere in the previous 234 pages, but I didn't take the time to read through all of them, but it's new to me.

 

The Romero Head has a pain chance of 99.61% (see the Doomwiki entry on the matter). It has no attack, so what's the point of it not having a 100% pain chance? And what does the possibility of not being stunned by damage even mean when you don't have an attack? Incidentally, the Keen, which also has no attack, has a 100% pain chance.

Share this post


Link to post

In the original three episodes of Heretic, there were only two level titles that didn't begin with "The": "Hell's Maw" and "D'Sparil's Keep".  On the other hand, none of the E4 or E5 map titles begin with "The".

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Speaking of Romero ...

 

This may have been mentioned somewhere in the previous 234 pages, but I didn't take the time to read through all of them, but it's new to me.

 

The Romero Head has a pain chance of 99.61% (see the Doomwiki entry on the matter). It has no attack, so what's the point of it not having a 100% pain chance? And what does the possibility of not being stunned by damage even mean when you don't have an attack? Incidentally, the Keen, which also has no attack, has a 100% pain chance.

It does make a (very small) difference. If the head doesn't enter its pain state, it doesn't scream in pain. I don't know why this would be desirable, though.

Share this post


Link to post

I just found out that there's NeXTSTEP code in the Atari Jaguar Doom source code. I didn't read the whole thing yet, but there may be more leftovers.

Share this post


Link to post

Patch SW18_7 (one of the STARTAN component patches) is duplicated in DOOM2.WAD.

Share this post


Link to post

sector effect 11 doesn't hurt you through iddqd, it literally just turns off iddqd

Share this post


Link to post

You can lower this wall in MAP05 by just pressing the use key on it. This gives you access to the Plasma Rifle very early on the level, but silly me always used the green torch when I was almost at the end.

 

nfdSyqc.png

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

You can lower this wall in MAP05 by just pressing the use key on it. This gives you access to the Plasma Rifle very early on the level, but silly me always used the green torch when I was almost at the end.

 

nfdSyqc.png

Lol I did the same thing. Nice find.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, KVELLER said:

You can lower this wall in MAP05 by just pressing the use key on it. This gives you access to the Plasma Rifle very early on the level, but silly me always used the green torch when I was almost at the end.

 

nfdSyqc.png

 

I've never known about this secret. The wonders of casually ignoring them me thinks.

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, dmslr said:

This has always been the sound of nearby imp

When I was about a kid and I first played Doom I thought the Soulsphere was making that noise. It was on E1M3 when you saw it through a window. XD

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, KVELLER said:

You can lower this wall in MAP05 by just pressing the use key on it. This gives you access to the Plasma Rifle very early on the level, but silly me always used the green torch when I was almost at the end.

 

nfdSyqc.png

I knew about that wall, but what is this about a green torch?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Empyre said:

I knew about that wall, but what is this about a green torch?

 

In the room between the two red doors, there are two green torches. If you use the one next to the window, it lowers the wall and the lift that gives access to the PR area.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

"Random Sound Pitch" was actually a feature present in vanilla Doom, not something added by most if not all source ports.

 

I always thought it was just a feature people decided to implement in most (all?) source ports for whatever reason, well it turns out it was present in vanilla Doom up until version 1.4 which broke something, the issue went undetected, and was ultimately never officially fixed by id, the blame was put on DMX. Surprisingly, this issue appears not to be present in a number of re-releases of classic Doom.

 

I've had some fun with the feature in Crispy today and it really changes (maybe even enhances) the whole experience (the Possessed death sounds aren't as funny as they are with it disabled :v). It also seems to affect the sounds of the weapons and made me question whether I had an older version than 1.4 back when I first played Doom on a Win 98 machine, but I'm pretty sure I did not, I remember the improved Lost Souls sprites up to this day. Besides, stuff already sounded different on a Sound Blaster and mono speakers, so I most likely wouldn't have been able to remember or determine whether it was present or not anyway (thankfully I remember the Lost Souls, so at least I know it was a version newer than 1.666).

Edited by Agent6

Share this post


Link to post

At the time, the blame wasn't put on the API change, it was just assumed it was a bug in DMX itself.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Gez said:

At the time, the blame wasn't put on the API change, it was just assumed it was a bug in DMX itself.

 

Well, that's what I meant, I suppose it just didn't translate well into the post, again. Eh.

 

How did this feature work back in the day? Was it something you could toggle on and off in vanilla?

Share this post


Link to post

No, it was always on.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Gez said:

No, it was always on.

 

Oh wow, now that's huge, I can only image the people's reaction when that suddenly went away accidentally with version 1.4 since it really changed the overall experience. Monster sounds, weapons, even Doomguy's seem to be altered by the feature.

 

Speaking of which, this page still mentions it was "caused by a bug in DMX":

 

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Versions_of_Doom_and_Doom_II

 

Quote
  • "No more random sound pitch. (This was not an intentional change, but a bug introduced in DMX.)" 

 

Quote

"While the change in the number of parameters prevented compilation until the source code was updated, this update was done poorly by id Software and the positioning and pitch change values were swapped in every call to these functions. Since all the parameters after the first are the same type of variables (int), the mistake does not prevent compilation and remained therefore undetected. As a result, the disappearance of random pitch changes was blamed on a bug in DMX."

 

Share this post


Link to post

I take pride in having written the pitch shifting code in choco/crispy, so glad you enjoy it!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jon said:

I take pride in having written the pitch shifting code in choco/crispy, so glad you enjoy it!

It's definitely something I appreciated when it got added in, since the feature never got lost from Heretic/Hexen and I'm used to hearing it there.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Jon said:

I take pride in having written the pitch shifting code in choco/crispy, so glad you enjoy it!

 

I was about to say that it seems to work different in every port. Retro, Crispy, PrBoom+, they all seem to be doing it differently. Out of all it's most subtle in PrBoom+ whereas Crispy (and probably Choco as well) has very noticeable pitch shifting.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Agent6 said:

 

I was about to say that it seems to work different in every port. Retro, Crispy, PrBoom+, they all seem to be doing it differently. Out of all it's most subtle in PrBoom+ whereas Crispy (and probably Choco as well) has very noticeable pitch shifting.

 

Yes they are all independent implementations. For chocolate, I did spend some time reverse engineering doom 1.2 to try and get the total range of variance to match. How successful I was is in the ear of the beholder.  If you are curious my notes are here and here

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/4/2019 at 5:59 PM, TakenStew22 said:

When I was about a kid and I first played Doom I thought the Soulsphere was making that noise. It was on E1M3 when you saw it through a window. XD

Omg I did the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×