Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

34 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:
  Hide contents

*whispers* ….and don't forget the 3,493 Maximum Doom maps.  

I don't count those.

1 hour ago, GamingMarine said:

lost souls will always forget their target after attacking

they clearly has no brain to remember what they're doing. ;-)

1 hour ago, famicommander said:

I don't count those.

But never forget, they were officially released by ID Software. 

Somebody's goin to hell for that

59 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

But never forget, they were officially released by ID Software. 

Somebody's goin to hell for that

You already went there and told us what it was like.

On 8/30/2019 at 7:32 PM, seed said:

So it's not in 1.2 either?

Damn I really want to check it now.

I was intrigued by this as well so I dug out Lee Killough's patch utility, dug out DosBox, dug out a shareware copy of Doom V1.0, and spent a good half-hour patching Ultimate Doom V1.9 down to V1.1.

And you know what? It's true. In Ultimate Doom V1.9 the spider mastermind explodes, collapses, and then there's a second explosion sound - in V1.1 it explodes, collapses, and then there's nothing. Checking out the waveform in XWE it looks as though Id dubbed on a second explosion (Doom 1.1 at the top, 1.9 at the bottom):

irCxlrG.png

LE7aYco.png

4 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

My first thought was: "What? No, that's impossible, given everything I know about pacifist." So I watched the video (which I'd been meaning to for awhile). So, yeah, wow, it is technically possible. That's amazing that someone would even think of that mechanic with the arch-vile flames.

And, of course, it was ZeroMaster who did it.

4 hours ago, Pegleg said:

My first thought was: "What? No, that's impossible, given everything I know about pacifist." So I watched the video (which I'd been meaning to for awhile). So, yeah, wow, it is technically possible. That's amazing that someone would even think of that mechanic with the arch-vile flames.

And, of course, it was ZeroMaster who did it.

ZeroMaster's a god.

4 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

Zero Master also accomplished another Doom challenge thought to be impossible. Right after decino's video aswell.

What an absolute savage madman.

Of course he did!

This is only a minor sprite detail, but after all my years of playing, watching and editing this game, I only just recently noticed that the zombieman and shotgun guy both grab their torso with their right hand as they fall in their death animations. To me it always looked like they lie on the ground with both arms down, so it's a neat little detail that I honestly never spotted before.

So only just now after looking at the thumbnail above did I notice that mancubi have blood at the back end of their cannons.

I've just found out, while working on a new map, that there is a big difference between zero-height sectors and actual empty spaces with regards to visplanes, and that even the actual floor and ceiling height values of those zero-height sectors seem to matter.

So, if you have two rooms each full of visplanes, but not enough to exceed the visplane limit respectively, you can still get a visplane overflow if

- between those two rooms, there is a zero-height sector instead of an empty space AND the two rooms (and the zero-height sector) make for a combined number of visplanes of more than 128 (or whatever your port has for its limit);

- the height values of the floor and ceiling of the zero-height sector, while being both the same, are non-zero.

In other words, this means that Doom renders everything, visible and invisible, that is part of a sector, as a visplane, without regards to the sector's height and visibility, while not rendering stuff that is behind an empty space.

Interestingly, even the Visplane Explorer does show that difference.

It's probably just a coincidence, but the ceiling in MAP30's main room pulsates in sync with the music. It's not perfect though.

45 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

I've just found out, while working on a new map, that there is a big difference between zero-height sectors and actual empty spaces with regards to visplanes, and that even the actual floor and ceiling height values of those zero-height sectors seem to matter.

Doom's software renderer was designed to efficiently collect and process scene information, it doesn't have the capability, nor the intent, to do any kind of occlusion culling (frankly not even 3D renderers could do this remotely efficiently until relatively recently with occlusion queries).
Put simply, the renderer can't know in advance what cannot actually be seen. And because Doom collects this information based entirely on X/Y coordinates because of its BSP lookup, it can't even detect this by height either. "Empty space" is the only thing that stops it in the vanilla renderer because scene collection stops passed single sided lines, there's an explicit guarantee that nothing beyond a single sided line will ever be seen, so it stops scanning when it reaches one. This is expanded upon in Boom-based ports which do actually include zero-height sectors in this process, but vanilla Doom never bothered with that distinction.

20 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

The Chaingunner has a gibbing animation. How come i never noticed this while spamming rockets on them?

I think it has to do with the pseudo-RNG with how the rocket damage rarely exceeds the HWD's max health number.