Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Memento Mori, Map 9. 1663250226_GapinMementoMori.png.56a9e402899681eeffd29995fe709560.png

This infamous staircase is connected with a bug the switch on its top makes. I of course errorenously flipped it. The gap appeared. I don't know what appears on the other side, but I feel it's a writing from Eternal Doom, which strangely was released two years later. 

Furthermore, it's said the switch makes it impossible to climb back on top of the stairs, which can help you re-open the half of the map that contains the blue key and the blue door. I usually go there first to potentially save a soulsphere or a megasphere and grab it later if I need to. Well, if you walk over this gap, which turns out to be above a tiny narrow ledge, you can actually still climb up to the top. 

If you didn't understand me well, I'm sorry. English is not my mother tongue. 

In Vanilla Heretic, moving floors affect the crossbow's smaller projectiles, but not the main one. This is easiest to see in E1M3, where it looks especially silly with that area's strong current.

EDIT: Also happens in ZDoom. I guess they have no way of knowing if someone's using the sector effect to represent wind or whatever.

Edited by SiFi270

Guest Unregistered account
4 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

In Vanilla Heretic, moving floors affect the crossbow's smaller projectiles, but not the main one. This is easiest to see in E1M3, where it looks especially silly with that area's strong current.

EDIT: Also happens in ZDoom. I guess they have no way of knowing if someone's using the sector effect to represent wind or whatever.

Maybe the idea is that, since the smaller ones are lighter, they get swept away more easily.

Edit: oh wait, I forgot about rapids. I don't know what the idea is for water

On 12/21/2019 at 7:07 PM, spd7693 said:

I don't know what appears on the other side, but I feel it's a writing from Eternal Doom, which strangely was released two years later.

That seems to me like the prboom+ configuration menu. You must have opened it while looking at the gap, and since it's missing textures, it displayed that piece of the menu on the HOM.

9 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

"Heretic provides 33 different sector types, divided into two categories: scrollers and wind. Heretic scrollers only affect the player."

?

I forgot to put an important qualifier in that statement.

5 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

That seems to me like the prboom+ configuration menu. You must have opened it while looking at the gap, and since it's missing textures, it displayed that piece of the menu on the HOM.

The important thing anyways is that this gap turned out to actually be a ledge. Otherwise, yeah, I need to exit fullscreen to make a screenshot. That's why the config menu appears. 

I just found out that, DOOM already had in 1993 implemented suspended-deck footbridge over slime pools.

dos4gw_000.png.d10580a110c475abe1903057ee99205f.png

Player can walk over it but is hurt from radiation (unless in HEV suit I guess). Feature was later removed and map became E2M3 Refinery:

e2m3_rerfinery.png.dbad51cad18a649ee4e567299805a1e2.png

I mean…how? And why it was removed from final release? Oh, how I didn't like the slime pools.

31 minutes ago, AnotherGrunt said:

I mean…how?

You'll notice it's not actually raised above the rest of the floor/nukage. It's just a different texture.

17 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

You'll notice it's not actually raised above the rest of the floor/nukage. It's just a different texture.

Oh, now i see. It's just animated floor tile with shadow:

CONVNA13.gif.eb488a8965d8cb97231e3e088311e653.gif

Illusion is perfect. I did not notice. Simply add some railing as double sided texture with transparency and it would be impeccable. It would make much more sense why are radiation suits in refinery. Why it was removed?

49 minutes ago, AnotherGrunt said:

Why it was removed?

Doubt there will ever be a specific answer to that, but the default still stands: The design was iterated. At some point, someone decided that the bridge was unnecessary, or clashed with the rest of the design (it does contradict Romero's design rules of requiring a height change for changing floor textures, after all, yes I'm fully aware it's a Sandy Petersen map but this stuff doesn't get created in a vacuum), or simply desired the player to navigate the nukage as a usual hazard.

33 minutes ago, spd7693 said:

Memory space issues perhaps. 

For one texture? No.

That I kick ass in Doom with just keyboard and default controls (doing D2 on UV, reached MAP16). But I'm probably just full of myself. Should I try Plutonia? 🤔

9 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Doubt there will ever be a specific answer to that, but the default still stands: The design was iterated.

Hey is available somewhere list of things which were „iterated away“ from Doom before final release? Lot of things is completely different than it supposed to be as I see.

16 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

At some point, someone decided that the bridge was unnecessary, or clashed with the rest of the design

Let me guess. Idea:

• Radiation suit for bridges and shallow pools.
  • Fall into deep pool → Green screen and instant death.

Pretty realistic but way it was implemented („iterated away“) as damaging floor so player can enjoy fall into unescapable deep pool (especialy whith radiation suite or 200% HP).

26 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

it does contradict Romero's design rules of requiring a height change for changing floor textures

You mean floor tile with transparency?

3 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

That I kick ass in Doom with just keyboard and default controls (doing D2 on UV, reached MAP16). But I'm probably just full of myself. Should I try Plutonia? 🤔

Certainly, that will tell whether you're just being overconfident or not :p.

On 12/17/2019 at 6:33 AM, 129thVisplane said:

Another texture fun fact that I just found out, may have been noticed by someone else before but who cares:

This Quake sky texture is a 50% size, vertically tiled, and edited/touched up version of the Doom 2 episode 1 sky texture. Not too surprising, since Quake seems to recycle quite a few textures from Doom, but still neato.

image.png.d42f3baf3c9b6e65bb02c6382daf973f.pngimage.png.152d61f2e74bbcaec094ee3a12eb30bb.pngimage.png.639ebaad3cf516f9e4eee4e740820410.png

tumblr_nf61n9E4mj1smreryo2_r1_400.gif.0ad4c0f3c40f799e47ebdabcfdec6cd9.gif

This just blew my fucking mind rn. 

1 minute ago, seed said:

Certainly, that will tell whether you're just being overconfident or not :p.

Hell Revealed it is then. 😤

35 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

For one texture? No.

I think there were a few other planned textures like this which had to be cut out because of too much space. And this one was maybe among many. I don't know, but the usual reason to remove something - saying it as a programmer - is to free space. Other reason could be a bug or a code too hard to embed. Or an agreement issue in the creating team as you said. 

I'm still discovering secrets in Doom, Doom II, Final Doom & Doom 64 as I've never actually watched any let's plays of those games on YT.  

On 12/17/2019 at 9:33 AM, 129thVisplane said:

Another texture fun fact that I just found out, may have been noticed by someone else before but who cares:

This Quake sky texture is a 50% size, vertically tiled, and edited/touched up version of the Doom 2 episode 1 sky texture. Not too surprising, since Quake seems to recycle quite a few textures from Doom, but still neato.

Could they miss using that beautiful brown sky for the brown game? Absolutely not!

BTW, if you start up Quake with Primus's Brown Album in, it syncs up with the demo like some Dark Side of the Rainbow stuff!   But totally unlike a rainbow, of course.

I learned about it from this thread, but it still makes me angry/blows my mind every time I think or see it, so I'm reposting it.

cfosFZR.png

This god damn section in E1M6. It doesn't have sky1 as the ceiling. I'm sure it did at one point despite every piece of evidence to the contrary. All the other sections that are built in a similar way in this map have Sky1. It has the same lighting as the other outdoor sections. I just can't explain it.

2 hours ago, Gokuma said:

BTW, if you start up Quake with Primus's Brown Album in, it syncs up with the demo like some Dark Side of the Rainbow stuff

Which level does Wynona's Big Brown Beaver play in? :)

8 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

It's been established a long time ago that keyboard only (and the default controls which are actually very good and I never saw any reason to change them), it plenty enough to beat all the original WADs on UV, Plutonia included. Let's hear it to another keyboard player! :)

8 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Hell Revealed it is then. 😤

Try specifically MAP07 - Arachnophobia. See how you enjoy running around SSGin the Arachnotrons, while avoiding their fire. ;)

2 hours ago, Magicana said:

This god damn section in E1M6. It doesn't have sky1 as the ceiling. I'm sure it did at one point despite every piece of evidence to the contrary. All the other sections that are built in a similar way in this map have Sky1. It has the same lighting as the other outdoor sections. I just can't explain it.

Nothing has SKY1 as the ceiling. Only F_SKY1. :P

Maybe you should fix it in a PWAD, just like TeamTNT released TNT31.WAD. ;)

1 hour ago, dr_st said:

Nothing has SKY1 as the ceiling. Only F_SKY1. :P

Maybe you should fix it in a PWAD, just like TeamTNT released TNT31.WAD. ;)

I don't know how to feel about this.

hVdFy9A.png

11 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

I'm still discovering secrets in Doom, Doom II, Final Doom & Doom 64

Same for this part.

My problem, however, is that secret hunting never appealed to me, I consider it an artifact of old games and I'm actually glad modern games killed it (although yes, I do believe they had a place in these games), along with obtuse progression in some of those games.

If I manage to find them, and remember how I got there, then I will keep picking them up on my trip, otherwise, I could not care less.

But seriously that Soulsphere in Downtown is pretty upsetting, I managed to get it once and never managed to do it ever again, feck's sake.

Why would you be glad a bonus that others enjoy searching for and that doesn't necessarily affect you if you choose to ignore it is killed off?

4 hours ago, seed said:

But seriously that Soulsphere in Downtown is pretty upsetting, I managed to get it once and never managed to do it ever again, feck's sake.

What do you mean? The building you enter with the big arrow pointing to it has a set of small crates in the back (near the door leading to a small outdoor section). Use the small crates and they lower to reveal a switch, use the switch to raise some small stairs that then leads to a telepad. Voila.