Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

The Cacodemons lacking an actual melee attack is probably what gave rise to the urban myth that 'Cacodemons turn away from you when you chainsaw them, rendering them unable to attack you'.

@plums

I also noticed if the missle orbits you and you pause, when you unpause the missle is gone. I did it a few times in one of my runs of Odissey Of Noises. 

In vanilla doom.exe, linedefs with specials have to be a distance of 18 apart or at least more than 16 or the second one won't work.   Here I thought I was clever placing linedef specials a distance of 2 apart in vanilla format.

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

In vanilla doom.exe, linedefs with specials have to be a distance of 18 apart or at least more than 16 or the second one won't work.   Here I thought I was clever placing linedef specials a distance of 2 apart in vanilla format.

That only applies to S1/SW linedefs, since pressing use only tries to activate the first one and the player has a radius of 16. Walk-over linedefs can be as close to each other as you like. The only difference between vanilla and non-vanilla is that in vanilla walk-over or gunfire actions can block switch actions when pressing use.

Recreating the PSX secret exit in E2M7, a D1/DR red key door wouldn't work with a WR line opening a door elsewhere in front of it with them spaced at 16 apart.   But D1/DR is basically the same thing as S1/SR.

I also found out you can't have a floor and ceiling of the same sector move at the same time, so I had to a W1 line much farther ahead, and then WR line a ways afterward to move the other part.

It seems @Ralphis was inspired by The Pointer Sisters when he produced one of the tracks for Action Doom 2.

Case in point, track 3: Bar Fight. Starts from 0.09:

Now compare that to The Pointer Sisters - I'm So Excited. Starts from 0.43:

Coincidence? I think not!!!

I just found out how well cartoony graphics synergize with fancy texture resizing settings.

The same settings make Doom sprites look awful, but here it's like a full-on HD remake!

37 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

I just found out how well cartoony graphics synergize with fancy texture resizing settings.

The same settings make Doom sprites look awful, but here it's like a full-on HD remake!

Not gonna lie, I like texture filtering and resizing, it makes everything look pastel. About half the time, I turn up all those settings to max when I play with GLBoom+. The other half I turn them all off for that original chunky feel.

I don't know where else to write this, it's just a coincidence, but still trippy - last night I got wasted and was going though my old CDs, and I happened to leave three next to the stereo; 'King For A Day' by Faith No More, 'Nothing' by Meshuggah, and 'Far Beyond Driven' by Pantera.  And I just realized right now that the covers are respectively bright red, yellow and blue. 

In vanilla doom.exe, things with mass 90 or lower, probably anything less than 100, sometimes pass over teleport lines without being teleported, at least when shoved by a rocket or berserk punch.

If these have been mentioned before, my apologies.

1. Notice the difference, when at doom2 map18 sector 46, and look towards sector 48. In software, you can see the floor flat mflr8_4, Which hides the lower sky hemisphere, whereas in hardware, the floor is not rendered, revealing the lower sky sphere if at sector 47. Interestingly, to nearly emulate software, just give sector 48 a ceiling height of 1.

2. Doom2 map 27 line 342 is erroneously flagged impassible.

3 hours ago, GamingMarine said:

the Medic

Which later became a QUAKE II enemy too.

18 hours ago, hawkwind said:

E1M1 looks a bit like a cross between the plasmarifle and the bfg

For the longest time, I thought it was meant to be a plasma pistol.

Today I found out you can close ZDL by pressing Escape.

1 minute ago, PixelGuy666 said:

The archvile's death sound is edited audio of a little girl saying "Why?"

i always thought the vile was saying why stretched out into 4 syllables. "wha-ha-ha-haiiiii?"

Just found out that in gameplay reveal of Doom Eternal shotgun can hold 60 shells instead of a current 24 joke, chainsaw had more pips and there were a lot more ammo laying around and in general you could keep more. Also, you could use meathook several times in a row without a cooldown and arachnotrons wasn't remotely that irritating

if I remember correctly, id designers have also confirmed that the QuakeCon 2018 footage is basically complete baloney. Misleading and frustrating? Sure, but it's the sad nature of this industry I guess.

3 hours ago, SaladBadger said:

if I remember correctly, id designers have also confirmed that the QuakeCon 2018 footage is basically complete baloney. Misleading and frustrating? Sure, but it's the sad nature of this industry I guess.

Remembered incorrectly. The video was true at the time, they basically were just using Doom 2016's "settings" as is. They later found this to be causing problems due to the additions (such as the meathook) and found the gameplay loop was stagnating, which is why they went for changing the necessity of the chainsaw for ammo.

Edited by Edward850

Ah, that's reasonable enough, and I've heard as much from folk who are involved with id software. I double checked the source and the guy I had initially heard that from and he mentioned it was from one of the noclip interviews with Hugo Martin, but not which one. Guess I have some digging to do... (edit: and certainly, when you watch the footage here, you can see how little struggle the enemies are presenting for the player. Especially the arachnotron. It might be less annoying but it also accomplishes absolutely fuck all in the game)

ed: for those curious, relevant article on the subject.

I find it funny that some people write DOOM's name as DooM (especially after Bobby Prince's 1997 album DooM Music), but never Boom as BooM.