Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Recommended Posts

Not exactly Doom but still note worthy:

 

ARK: Survival Evolved on Nintendo Switch is able to hit a lower dynamic resolution than original Vanilla Doom.

 

In Docked mode. (So the most grunt is available).

 

At its worst, it runs at a whopping 304x170.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/5/2020 at 5:45 PM, Redneckerz said:

Not exactly Doom but still note worthy:

 

ARK: Survival Evolved on Nintendo Switch is able to hit a lower dynamic resolution than original Vanilla Doom.

 

In Docked mode. (So the most grunt is available).

 

At its worst, it runs at a whopping 304x170.

 

 

That's actually super fascinating from a technical standpoint. I wonder how they pulled that off.

Share this post


Link to post

I recently found out that GZDooM can display a tutti-frutti error if you cock up the conversion of a flat.

 

Screenshot_Doom_20200608_120301.png.870e4167b65c5736439d8316763496fa.png

 

Wasn't aware this was even possible in GZDooM. XD

Share this post


Link to post

Flats are just a pixel dump, with no metadata at all, every byte is displayed. If you have a patch that gets interpreted as a flat, you're going to see the patch's metadata displayed, and this is kind of how it looks.

Share this post


Link to post
  • DeuSF (The merging and appending DOS program from DEUTEX) has a version for the Amiga, called ADeusf.
  • DeHackEd was ported to Linux as Linux Doom Hack Editor (or LDHE) by none other than Sam Lantinga of SDL Doom fame. It runs in a Linux console, in an X11 screen, and can also run on SGI boxes. The official SGI Doom is also supported. A port without source of version 2.3 is hosted on Gamers.org and the source is here.
  • Lantinga also ported 3.0 over according to his own site, but checking back on the old Doom FAQ in newsgroups, it appears this was never released.

It used to be mirrored on /idgames, but for some reason it has been unavailable there.

Edited by Redneckerz

Share this post


Link to post

I discovered that you can put voodoo doll onto in a damaging sector that ends level and no amount of damage to the doll could kill you now. I'm not sure what could it be good for except for crushing player to 1% repeatedly, but it's a pretty amusing fact.

 

Edit: One more thing it is good for is to instantly end level by telefragging said doll. You'll start next one with 1% health though, but if that's what you want, it's faster than old-fashioned way.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

Share this post


Link to post

I was looking up discussions about Jim Dethlefsen (Evilution MAP05: Hanger, Icarus MAP26: Weapons Bay) on the forum, because I am trying to make map in his style and wanted to find some interesting observations. 

 

In the process, I stumbled upon a thread from 2004 in which, among other things, Ty Halderman mentioned that TeamTNT knew about the missing yellow key in MAP31: Pharaoh, and gave id a fixed version at least a month before they packaged Final Doom up. For whatever reason, id simply didn't include it. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/9/2020 at 12:34 AM, ViolentBeetle said:

I discovered that you can put voodoo doll onto in a damaging sector that ends level and no amount of damage to the doll could kill you now. I'm not sure what could it be good for except for crushing player to 1% repeatedly, but it's a pretty amusing fact.

 

Edit: One more thing it is good for is to instantly end level by telefragging said doll. You'll start next one with 1% health though, but if that's what you want, it's faster than old-fashioned way.

 

Sounds like a fun idea for a sadistic secret level. The voodoo doll is under some kind of perpetual crusher, so you have to survive the whole level with 1% health. It could be connected to some kind of storyline about fighting while deathly ill or heavily wounded.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

Sounds like a fun idea for a sadistic secret level. The voodoo doll is under some kind of perpetual crusher, so you have to survive the whole level with 1% health. It could be connected to some kind of storyline about fighting while deathly ill or heavily wounded.

You can also make boobie traps that crush you once.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/10/2020 at 10:46 PM, Scypek2 said:

 

Sounds like a fun idea for a sadistic secret level. The voodoo doll is under some kind of perpetual crusher, so you have to survive the whole level with 1% health. It could be connected to some kind of storyline about fighting while deathly ill or heavily wounded.

I can imagine the intro text:

Oh, well. Looks like 2020 found its next victim.

Proceed with care, and you might be the first one to get a vaccine.

Share this post


Link to post

The Pain Elemental is a fat meatball brown cacodemon with a recolored press-realease beta invisibility sphere ( my current avatar )

fat imp arms ( maybe even chaingunner arms ) and cyberdemon horns.

When it dies, you can see red beta lost souls escaping instead of release ones.

 

id Software didn't have time for that shit.

 

PEs are still kinda cute tho.

 

Edited by GoosebumpsFan

Share this post


Link to post

During the chaingunner's normal death animation, his left eye falls out of his skull and plops down next to his body.

Never noticed this at all during gameplay until I took a closer look at the sprites in SLADE.

Share this post


Link to post

Why would you do this? I will see this in my nightmares for months. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, jval said:

DoomBuilder is developed in C#, not C++.

 

And it was originally developed in visual basic...

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

These windows in map04 have soil as their flat texture.

The demons must have not been doing their spring cleaning properly...

 

3 hours ago, jval said:

DoomBuilder is developed in C#, not C++.

Makes me respect the developers more. There is very little reason to develop a tool such as DoomBuilder in something like C++.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

These windows in map04 have soil as their flat texture.

 

doom382.png.7ccd388e7d785feb9cdb8bc1424849d0.png

It's just a layer of grime from demons.

Zombies aren't exactly clean..

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/8/2020 at 5:05 PM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I recently found out that GZDooM can display a tutti-frutti error if you cock up the conversion of a flat.

 

Screenshot_Doom_20200608_120301.png.870e4167b65c5736439d8316763496fa.png

 

Wasn't aware this was even possible in GZDooM. XD

For some reason I read "cock" as "cook" lol.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, GoosebumpsFan said:

It's just a layer of grime from demons.

Zombies aren't exactly clean..

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've seen any showers in Doom.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/20/2020 at 4:46 AM, Uni said:

E1M9 Military Base is the only level in the entire episode that has candle decorations. It's also the only level that features a teleport trap. Also if you discovered it first you were awarded with a glimpse of the red torch decorations until their proper, regular debut in E1M8 Phobos Anomaly.

 

You probably knew it but I only recently paid attention to those little details. I guess it earns its position as a secret level by featuring unique instances.

I remember a candle in E1M5 next to the YK and I think maybe there are more in the episode, for torches you're right, only in E1M8 and E1M9.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/15/2020 at 5:40 PM, nicolas monti said:

I remember a candle in E1M5 next to the YK and I think maybe there are more in the episode, for torches you're right, only in E1M8 and E1M9.

 

They are not candles, they are candelabras. I was strictly referring to the the small candle decoration designated as Type 34 "Candle". There are a bunch of candelabras throughout Episode 1 but candles can only be seen in E1M9. I should clarify that I was using the DoomBuilder search option to do the research and I was using the Ultimate Doom version 1.9 so they may appear in earlier versions.

Edited by Uni

Share this post


Link to post

The ending room in E2M4 was originally supposed to have nukage instead of blood, as evidenced by some of it being left over underneath the exit sign.

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Uni said:

 

They are not candles, they are candelabras. I was strictly referring to the the small candle decoration designated as Type 34 "Candle". There are a bunch of candelabras through Episode 1 but candles can only be seen in E1M9. I should clarify that I was using the DoomBuilder search option to do the research and I was using the Ultimate Doom version 1.9 so they may appear in earlier versions.

You're right, I misunderstood the word.

Share this post


Link to post

I just learned that DMAPINFO has support for adding the Map07 special to levels, but not the Classic Doom BossDeath specials. That’s especially amusing to me since there haven’t been any Doom 2 wads released with DMAPINFO yet.

Share this post


Link to post

I was just casually binge-browsing the Wiki, trying to check for mind-blowing trivia, when suddenly...
MAP09.png.38b232703aaac8c004d7ab9e33cfa6b1.png
Uh-huh...
MAP13.png.14278158a4f4a8960a8f0121ba3c21d3.png
... Oh.

So, in other words, MAP09's track manifests into a whole level as of MAP13.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×