Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

does anybody else find it hysterical that the Pain Elemental moves both his right and left arm when moving, as if he is power walking with no legs? It is the cutest smallest detail from any game about killing Hellish Demons. Look closely at the PE, and tell me how adorable his little strut is!

4 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

does anybody else find it hysterical that the Pain Elemental moves both his right and left arm when moving, as if he is power walking with no legs? It is the cutest smallest detail from any game about killing Hellish Demons. Look closely at the PE, and tell me how adorable his little strut is!

<Video>

That's hilarious

I didn't realize until yesterday that you can accurately determine when you are going to be hurt by a damaging floor by watching your weapon bob, they are synced.
I don't know why this is but I suspect it's as simple as the bob and hurt rate using the same tic rate?

Both are derived off the "leveltime" clock.

The damage hits you if lowest five bits of leveltime are zero (so every 32 ticks).
See all the "(!(leveltime&0x1f))" calculations in P_PlayerInSpecialSector:

https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM/blob/77735c3ff0772609e9c8d29e3ce2ab42ff54d20b/linuxdoom-1.10/p_spec.c#L1009

This means that sometimes you may be able to spend up to 31 ticks on the damage floor and remain unhurt, but sometimes you'll be hurt on your very first tick there - the "do damage" timer is absolute to level start, not from the moment you enter the floor.

And you can take advantage of that if you'd only know where in the time cycle you are right now.

The relevant part of weapon movement I /think/ is here at the bottom of A_WeaponReady (if my Sunday morning brain recalls right , it is called "all the time" if you're not switching or firing).

https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM/blob/master/linuxdoom-1.10/p_pspr.c#L329

Note the angle is derived from leveltime, so there's a particular always-the-same angle calculated when the leveltime is divisible by 32 (and floor damage is dealt).

Voilà :)

When you join a sector with a teleporting monster sector trap outside the map you don't actually have to be on the internal sector to wake up the monsters with a gunshot.  It operates as if the outside sector can hear what the internal sector can hear.

15 minutes ago, Mr. LBN said:

When you join a sector with a teleporting monster sector trap outside the map you don't actually have to be on the internal sector to wake up the monsters with a gunshot.  It operates as if the outside sector can hear what the internal sector can hear.

Well yes, why would you expect otherwise? Alert propagates on sector basis. If you want to make it work otherwise, you'd have to wrap the joined sector in "block sound" linedefs. Two layers between outside and the monsters, so monsters should probably be in other sector.

Hey guys, remember this area in DOOM 64, level 1?

image.png.02a1ae6a1939d3392eaad9cbcebc7e65.png

Well, I was just walking around in this area, dilly-dallying, when I decided to look at that static screen. I decided that it looked cool, so I clicked use on it while backing up. For a split second, the screen shifts, and I am confused. So I walk back up to it, and decide to click use once more. To my surprise, it was the same type of security screen you see in DN3D, showing only a switch in a very linear area. I didn't look for any other ones in any other levels, but I'm sure there are more in the game. This was amazing! Nothing special was there to be seen, but I find it crazy that these screens have nothing special about them at first glance, and it turns out they are totally interactable. I'm not sure if you can find in on DOOM 64 EX or in the original DOOM, but I found it on the PS4 port. I wish I had a video, but I don't know how to record on PS4, and I can't find a Youtube video about it. Did anybody else not know about this, or is this new to you, too? Has anybody seen it anywhere else other than this level? 

@LiT_gam3r apparently this is a pretty "well known" feature among Doom 64 players, but I did not know about it until the official PC port came out in march, despite me completing the game on EX! Afterwards I checked and they also work on EX as well.

This is actually an extremely helpful feature once you know about it since they are placed around the more maze-y maps in the game. They are especially present in MAP05: Tech Center where monitors are placed next to some switches to tell you what exactly activating it did. If I knew about it on my first playthrough, maybe I wouldn't have aimlessly backtracked as much...

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

but I don't know how to record on PS4

It's litteraly a button on the controller. They couldn't make it any more direct. Not sure how you missed that.

20200803_131811.jpg

And yes, the camera terminals have existed since the original Doom64. Nothing new here. 

16 hours ago, Edward850 said:

It's litteraly a button on the controller. They couldn't make it any more direct. Not sure how you missed that.

I get that, I'm just saying that I don't know how to post it on like Twitch or Youtube. I always record funny glitches in games, I don't know how to share them, though. 

2 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I get that, I'm just saying that I don't know how to post it on like Twitch or Youtube. I always record funny glitches in games, I don't know how to share them, though. 

Go to the capture gallery, select the video you want to upload, press the share button OR press options and copy it to a FAT32 or exFAT formatted flash drive.

On 8/2/2020 at 12:16 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

Well yes, why would you expect otherwise? Alert propagates on sector basis. If you want to make it work otherwise, you'd have to wrap the joined sector in "block sound" linedefs. Two layers between outside and the monsters, so monsters should probably be in other sector.

It something I literally couldn't wrap my brain around until I accidentally discovered that you didn't have to be in that specific sector to wake up monsters outside the map.  When I actually think about it I feel slow because you're literally joining together sectors.

On 7/13/2020 at 5:46 PM, boris said:

Except for E2M9 all maps from episode 1 and 2 of Doom 1 use switches for the exit. All maps in episode 3 use teleporters for the exit.

E1M8 and E2M8 would like a word with you, sir.

HOLY SHIET! John Romero's name is Alfonso Romero! John is his middle name! 🤯

I just realised earlier that the floor textures in the first level of E3 in Doom is the exact same as the end screen background of E2.

E2_Ending.png

E3m1_start.png

In Hexen, I knew you could use the Disc of Repulsion to push the Cleric's Flechette clouds around. But I didn't know that when pushed things collide, they inflict (and receive) damage based on their Mass, and for the poison clouds, that mass is MAXINT and thus inflicts over 20 million damage. Too bad bosses are immune to collision damage!

This isn't a discovery, more like a question to the well versed doom nerds in the community.

It's nothing new a handful specific monsters who aren't affected by projectiles of the same species can actually start infighting each other via barrel explosion as one detonates a barrel close to the other. The thing is when they refuse to do so, or when it finally works after several tries, which is when I'm conflicted.

I have this recorded, "No End In Sight" or NEIS.wad + NEIS.deh, E1M8, I take the time to make sure the barons are back into the state where whatever hits them first they'll switch targets, only after the third barrel two start chasing the other, but these two survivors won't duke it out to the last barrel explosion. 

Does anybody know what are the requirements for this to work more consistently?

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

As far as I remember, in order to start infighting via barrels, you should do the following:

1) get monster to hit a barrel;

2) it should not explode right away;

This way barrel remembers it's last attacker and after explosion (assuming next hit causes barrel explosion; I don't remember if hitting it further without exploding will change last attacker stuff) whoever takes damage from explosion will go after stored attacker. If barrel gets one shot it'll just explode and that's it.

I was playing Doom 2016 earlier and I noticed that the gore nest things have a portal thing on top of them which you can see into another world and I thought it was a very nice touch. Don't know how I've never noticed that until now.

I was staring at the wooden hell door with the skulls on it and it just hit me that the big horned skull at the top is a cyberdemon skull. I've been looking at that texture my whole life without noticing!

On mercredi 12 août 2020 at 6:22 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

You have monster A and monster B. The barrel needs to be damaged, but not destroyed, by monster A. The barrel then needs to explode when monster B is in the blast radius zone. Monster B will blame monster A.

Fun fact: it doesn't matter if the barrel is actually destroyed by monster A. It can be destroyed by monster B, by another monster entirely, or by the player. What matters is that the first time the barrel is damaged but not destroyed so it'll switch its target pointer to monster A, so that when the barrel is destroyed monster B will be told that the explosion damage comes from monster A.

This is all a bug in the damage logic that causes damage tracking to happen after damage dealing.

The shotgunner near the dark rooms filled with explosive barrels in Underhalls of the original Doom 2 is stuck inside the wall

Screenshot_8.png

10 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

That barrel's also stuck to the wall, right?

Yeah, though I think with enough dedication you can push the barrel out, seeing as though it's not stuck as severely as the shotgun guy.

If I remember the story right - while editing the IWAD between patch releases of Doom 2, they accidentally realigned all things in MAP02 to some kind of grid in the editor, screwing the map thoroughly, and then been trying to clean it up from then all the way until 1.9 release, but it never got quite perfect - case in point, that shotbarrel. Uh, barrelgunner. Them those stuck in the wall entities.