Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

image.png.e507e02a342551b5fcfcfafec4484e5f.png

I probably learned this a long time ago but it seems that I can't add codepointers to whatever frame I want in vanilla deHacked.  Looks like I'll have to reorder some frames to make things work the way I want, which isn't world-destroying but certainly annoying.

No I'm still not going to convert my mapset to Boom format although it certainly gets more tempting all the time

8 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Indeed, you can only change the code pointers on frames that already had them.

DEH9000 is a useful way to work with this limit without having to micromanage it: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/DEH_9000

*drool*

Wow this could save me some trouble. Gonna have to do some tinkering with this. So many amazing tools that have come about in my long absence (you can’t imagine how blown my mind was when I realized UDB was a thing. That could be a post in this thread by itself.)

In Map 15 of Plutonia, there is a pillar that you need to jump onto from a window to open up a secret Invincibility Sphere (in the southeast lava pit in the middle of the map). The pillar is marked as a secret sector. You can see the pillar when you get near the center of the map, there is a Hell Knight standing on it. What I didn't know was that you could land on the pillar on the opposite side (which also has a Hell Knight, on the southwest pit). I didn't know that these two pillars are joined sectors so jumping onto either of them will get you a secret. Also, landing on the southwest pillar will also open up the secret Invincibility Sphere/secret room with the Energy Cell Packs that you can get to on your way to the Yellow Key-activated switch.

There's also a Radiation Suit next to the pillar in the southwest lava pit. You don't normally need to jump onto this pillar since the hidden Invincibility Sphere is next to the southeast pillar so it's a lot easier to get to from there.

On the intermission screens of Episode 2 you can see the Tower of Babel being built between stages, Saw it on the wiki and thought it was pretty cool.

TNT Map 13:

There's a hidden area behind the Invincibility Sphere (at the opposite end of the teleporter chains that you use to get the Blue Key), that contains a BFG and three Energy Cell Packs, that all appear on multiplayer only. It can be opened up only in multiplayer, as the walkover line to open it up is behind an area with a deathmatch spawn. The spawn is in the second to final room (that requires the Blue Key to get to), it's in one of the UAC-themed columns on the left side of the room (if entering from the center hub room). Inside this column is a Super Shotgun and a one-way door out of the column.

The European release of Doom Classic Complete for PS3 (NPEB-01014) contains/-ed censored versions (no Wolf3D stuff) of doom2.wad, tnt.wad and plutonia.wad.

Said release appears to be actually the original source of that doom2.wad included as bonus in Doom Eternal.

Doomguy's face in the HUD still moves while the game is paused. Somehow in all my hours of playing I never noticed or thought about it until recently.

26 minutes ago, BoxY said:

Doomguy's face in the HUD still moves while the game is paused. Somehow in all my hours of playing I never noticed or thought about it until recently.

Haha, reading that unlocked a memory for me. The few times I saw ouchface, I'd pause the game to figure out what it was. But of course, he wouldn't hold it for long. I didn't take a screenshot because I was unaware of how to at the time, and for years I thought it was a face he made at random times.

Just found out in The Factory (map12) you can grab the yellow key through the wall of the small room it's in.  

And I just just found out that a speedrun playthrough video someone did of Doom II that I've had for years utilized this and I never noticed, because it was so fast

Sandy is short for Sanford, not Alexander.

Doom Troopers videogame that I have very faint memories of is not related to Doom in any way.

I don't enjoy Doom Eternal but it's numerous Doom II nods and references lure me back.

Vanilla Doom in DOSBox has better sounding, less muffled sound effects when using GUS unstead of SB in some of the later versions. The change was introduced somewhere in between 1.2 and 1.666, did't bother to check the exact version.

TNT Map 17:

Tom Mustaine, the designer of the map, etched his name on the wall in the room off the map that houses the Demons that teleport into the Blue Key Room. There's another word etched in there too, not sure what it reads. I found this while looking at Map17 in Doom Builder, wondering why the Demon trap room had more detail that what is normally needed for a room that is just a placeholder for teleporting monsters (I noticed the brighter sectors and them being marked with scrolling textures).

EDIT: The first pic does spell NIN, looks like this was mentioned in the Doomwiki.

tntmap17.png

tntmap17-2.png

@peach freak

God damn I probably could've gone my whole life without ever noticing that.  I had to go see it for myself just now, pretty funny he stuffed both his name and NIИ into the same monster closet

I was playing the other night and I two-shotted a Hell Knight with a Rocket Launcher for the first time, if not, it was the first time I noticed. I must've gotten two max damage rolls from the rocket (160) or the two highest damage rolls (140 and 160) to go along with the max splash damage, right?

Which, assuming one of the rockets did 160, the other one could've done 140, 120, or even 100 and the Hell Knight still could've been killed in two hits. If that's the case, I'm kinda shocked it hasn't been a tad more frequent to see happen.

58 minutes ago, peach freak said:

'm kinda shocked it hasn't been a tad more frequent to see happen.

the RNG usually maximizes the damage when you hit by a fireball or a revenant rocket, but minimizes when your rockets hit someone.

Spoiler

there is no such code in the engine, but i swear to god that it works this way!

Speaking of rocket launchers, I'm only now realizing after some deHacked shenanigans why they hardcoded the cyberdemon and spood mastermind to be impervious to splash damage: it's amazing how a boss enemy with 4000 hit points that does take splash damage goes down with just a handful of rockets.  I never really understood how much of the rockets' damage is just from the splash radius, although now that I'm going and looking at the numbers it becomes pretty evident that that's the case.

Also having some fun with the monster spawn behaviors, figuring out what's hardcoded into what things vs what I can tweak myself.  I'm gonna squeeze everything out of vanilla deHacked that I can god damn it

Not too long ago I found out splash damage from a rocket can clip through two close one-sided walls under certain -but unclear to me- conditions. 

I was playing Christopher Lutz's "Inferno", more specifically E3M3, when I noticed this phenomenon happened for the first time. There's a room with a cyberdemon under a crusher, behind a YK-coded door quite halfway in the map. If you hang outside of the room at the door frame, wait for it to shoot, then immediately hug one of the walls nearby the door (which I marked in magenta in the image below), there is a chance you'll soak splash if a rocket hits the wall on the other side. 

XC9GkdF.png

A wall is 16 units apart from the opposite, on both sides. The damage values aren't always the same: sometimes it's a lot, sometimes a little bit around 40, sometimes no damage at all. It's hard to tell where you need to stand in relation to the wall for splash to clip and hit doomguy. 

I made myself a quick test map to check this further... as far as my ignorance within doom technical stuff can go. 

splashtest.zip

In "splashtest" -requires doom2-, there're three long-ish pillars, each 32u, 16u and 8u wide respectively. I can confirm with the 32u splash never even tickled me (unless I had to wait a day for the "lucky" shot...). With the 16u it's rare, but I get hit sometimes, just like in Lutz's map. With the 8u it's almost always, still dps is kinda random. The other map in the zip is mainly for giggles, instead of having to wait for the cyb to shoot, you use the RL to push other marines onto megaspheres.

So in conclusion, there's a few questions unanswered, basically what's the trickery behind this phenomenon, if it's anything related to the clipped mancubus fireball thingy, if anyone could shed a light it'd be very appreciated. I would think barrel's blast is also capable of clipping through walls, but yeah, any information would be great, for the curiosity.

Recently discovered if you mess around with the COLORMAP lump, you can create coloured lightning in BooM and MBF! :o

One slight downside though, looking at a sector that is tinted causes a HOM bug if you're not already standing inside a "fake" sector... :s

On 2/17/2021 at 7:28 AM, peach freak said:

I two-shotted a Hell Knight with a Rocket Launcher for the first time, if not, it was the first time I noticed.

Yeah, I only noticed that recently as well.  

And I also just found out once again that The Casali brothers are legends - I just played map 23 of Requiem by Dario Casali, and I thought I couldn't be surprised by Doom maps anymore - 

Spoiler

First a trap that utilizes the "ghost monsters" glitch, and then a goddamn Icon of Sin battle at the end?  And after defeating three cyberdemons and two teleporting monster hordes??

This is a goddamn chef's kiss of a level

Casali brother

2 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Yeah, I only noticed that recently as well.  

And I also just found out once again that The Casali brothers are legends - I just played map 23 of Requiem by Dario Casali, and I thought I couldn't be surprised by Doom maps anymore - 

Hide contents

First a trap that utilizes the "ghost monsters" glitch, and then a goddamn Icon of Sin battle at the end?  And after defeating three cyberdemons and two teleporting monster hordes??

This is a goddamn chef's kiss of a level

Casali brothers maps are my favorite easily.

On mardi 16 février 2021 at 11:42 PM, StupidBunny said:

Speaking of rocket launchers, I'm only now realizing after some deHacked shenanigans why they hardcoded the cyberdemon and spood mastermind to be impervious to splash damage: it's amazing how a boss enemy with 4000 hit points that does take splash damage goes down with just a handful of rockets.  I never really understood how much of the rockets' damage is just from the splash radius, although now that I'm going and looking at the numbers it becomes pretty evident that that's the case.

Besides the Cybie would kill itself very quickly if it was affected by splash damage...

Heretic's RNG is identical indices to that in all Doom games.

Revenant sprites have some mis-drawn transparent pixels at 2 angles.

The shotgunner and former human are missing 2 rotations.

Crowding the Pain Elemental will reduce or eliminate the spawning Lost Souls.

33 minutes ago, Sign_of_Evil said:

Crowding the Pain Elemental will reduce or eliminate the spawning Lost Souls.

bodyblocking infront of them also works extremely well, makes them too easy to handle.

2 minutes ago, Pegg said:

bodyblocking infront of them also works extremely well, makes them too easy to handle.

It's great that you said that. I learned this from a Decino video too. Really cool strategy!

I didn't realize that E2M7 and E3M7 have different versions of "Waltz of the Demons" playing in the background.  In E3M7 the contrabass thrumming in the background is 20% louder.  It's audible if you're, like, really listening for it.

Oh yeah another thing I found out super recently...I didn't realize the mega-armor was actually a different armor class in Doom than the green armor.  I always thought it was just the same armor, but with an extra 100% tacked on, meaning that by the time the blue armor is whittled down to 100% it would be effectively the same as green armor.  It turns out this isn't the case, which means that armor bonuses are more than just armor++; they can be strategically used to save a good suit of blue armor before it's destroyed.  It also means that replacing a <100% suit of blue armor with a fresh green one might actually be detrimental, as it represents an immediate downgrade in armor class even if its armor % is higher.

I don't know how I went so long without learning this.  It definitely makes me rethink how I want to place armor boni, among other things, so that a clever player can use them to keep their shiny blue armor from being lost.