Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Huh. Are there even any locked switches at all in Doom, besides the one on E4M2?

Apparently, just putting a switch behind a locked door was too easy to bother with alternatives.

1 hour ago, Scypek2 said:

Huh. Are there even any locked switches at all in Doom, besides the one on E4M2?

Final doom uses locked switches as far as I know. It has been a lot of time since my last journey towards TNT and Plutonia, but I can remember that there is at least one map in TNT that uses them.

4 hours ago, Simomarchi said:

Final doom uses locked switches as far as I know. It has been a lot of time since my last journey towards TNT and Plutonia, but I can remember that there is at least one map in TNT that uses them.

Off the top of my head, Maps 6, 9, 13, and 14 of TNT have locked switches.

On lundi 29 mars 2021 at 5:48 PM, Pegleg said:

I remember a good friend of mine playing Doom at my house (probably late 1994, maybe early 1995). I'm pretty sure it was Doom 1 and he said, "Where's my light?" I was confused and asked him what he was talking about, so he selected the chaingun, fired it, and said, "Ah, there's my light!"

"Might makes Light" --Comic Doomguy

The secret level in Knee Deep in the Dead has the elevator secret. Fucking blew my mind as i've been playing Doom for close to 25 years and never knew about it.

E2M1 is the most disconnected map in the original game, with six partitions, twice as many as the next.

5vpD6eM.png

E2M4 and E2M5 have three; E1M8, E2M7, and E3M7 have two. The remaining E1-E3 maps are fully connected (ignoring unclosed sectors).

On 4/1/2021 at 6:18 PM, Scypek2 said:

Are there even any locked switches at all in Doom, besides the one on E4M2?

Yes—another on E4M6 (but, I repeat myself...)

This might not count, because it's an editing trick. Normally, an Icon of Sin barrel-voodoo doll "death exit" takes you to the next regular level, not a secret level. But you can do a barrel-crusher trick to push a voodoo doll over a W1 (secret exit) linedef to go to the secret level instead, if the level has the capacity for a secret exit.

• Explosions in Doom are square.
  • Arch-Vile damage from a cardinal direction does less damage than when it's coming from an ordinal direction. 
  • An explosion can double its damage to an enemy. It's due to the entities of the affected block of the blockmap being stored in a list that can be reordered due to AI code being executed. 
  • I've learn more, but you should watch the video :) 

Never knew that the BFG did most of its damage through tracers until a few days ago.

In doom2.exe if a W1 teleporter line is walked over the opposite way, it is simply deactivated, while in Zandronum it stays active and will still do its one-time teleportation when walked over the right way.

In E1M9 multiplayer it's possible for a player to get trapped near the exit until another player sets them free again.   Down in the nukage, whenever you walk onto the bit of dry floor with the switch to raise the bridge to the exit, it's WR remote door special to open a monster closet by the exit and let three spectres out.   If a player is in that closet while it closes again, they're trapped and can't open it from the inside.

Something I learned recently when doing a hell of a lot of UV Max and Tyson runs of map 1 of Doom 2, which requires a lot of chainsawing, is that the chainsawing sound goes on for way longer than what you usually hear. I think it's because the chainsaw sound plays again as you use it so it resets the sound. If you pause while chainsawing you can hear the full sound (full sounds in general) and before this I didn't know that.

This isn't really about Doom, but if you press Alt+PrtScr, it's gonna screenshot only the window you need, not your entire screen. Seriously, try it, I've never known that trick.

I just realized D_COUNTD used 1 Pizzicato Strings channel for each panning it has xD

image.png.342d32fdf60c9542b9dd55f45a70c4a9.png

A lot of Doom 2's music using the same type of progression. Mostly it's the same rhythm throughout the whole track while the melody gets changed around a bit every now and then. Now that I think about it, it's probably one of the reasons I never really liked most of Doom 2's music compared to Ultimate Doom's.

To convert the strings of a legacy DeHackEd patch to BEX, you only need PrBoom-Plus and a system somehow capable of running Perl scripts.

First step:

prboom-plus -deh cool_legacy_dehacked_patch.deh -dehout cool_output.txt

Second step:

perl deh2bex.pl cool_output.txt > cool_output.bex

Thirst step:

Use your favourite text editor to tweak cool_output.bex. For one thing, the [STRINGS] header is missing.

To get deh2bex.pl:

https://youfailit.net/pub/idgames/themes/TeamTNT/boom/prboom202.zip prbstuff/deh2bex.pl

Does anyone know something about below? Scroll down until you see a plush of Daisy and something regarding a purported demonic guillotine.

PC-KING.nl - Anne Bras

P.S.: should this warrant a dedicated thread, feel free to create it.

14 hours ago, Diabolución said:

Does anyone know something about below? Scroll down until you see a plush of Daisy and something regarding a purported demonic guillotine.

PC-KING.nl - Anne Bras

In mid-2020, Romero was selling handmade plushes sewn by his daughter Lillia through his on-line shop. It started with the Beezlebaby and was followed up by the Dead Bunny. Note that Romero never actually called the bunny Daisy for fear of being mercilessly crushed into oblivion by Bethesda's legal team. The guy who bought it in that picture simply requested "Daisy, The Pet Rabbit" as the custom name on the death certificate.

Things i learned about doom (so far)

1. Doom 1 was supposed to be an Aliens game but after a 20 min meeting they were like "nope. freedom of creativity".

2. Doom 1 was inspired by John carmack's DnD campaign, where the world was over ran by demons.

3. Doom 1 takes place on mars' moons Phobos and Deimos.

4. Tom Hall wrote the Doom bible.....but was never used.

5. Ep. 4 of doom (thy flesh consumed) was the only map set harder then the rest of doom 1.

6. E4M2 Perfect Hatred was done by Romero himself, he started it at midnight and finished at six in the morning the next day. (So the rumor's have it)

7. Doom 2 was made ten months after Doom 1, Doom 2 release date was September 30, 1994.

8. The Arch-veil laughs (it's creepy but yet again the arch-veil is creepy anyways).

9. The mancubus said "manc-u-bi" not "hump-your-mom" or what Romero said in this tweet one time. 

10. Most of the midis are rip off of 80's-90's bands like Metallica (before Metallica turned into hot shit fire trash bin...and this coming for a long time Metallica fan), Slayer, QueenSryche (sorry if spelt wrong), pantara, stone temple pilots, Alice in chains (still a great band by the way), ect ect.

11. Refueling base was a tom hall map that wasn't used in Doom 1, so they remade it and put in Doom 2.

12. Adrian Carmack (not related to john carmack) made romero's head on a stick as a final boss plus as a easter egg for romero to find. Once he did he put a message in backwords saying "in order to win the game, you must kill me John Romero". 

13. Please for the love of god don't flip me a bunch of shit if i got most of the info wrong or something, just sharing the stuff i've learned from playing and watching stuff about doom.

2 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

9. The mancubus said "manc-u-bi" not "hump-your-mom" or what Romero said in this tweet one time. 

It's actually a slowed-down pig squeal. Not saying anything, per se.

On dimanche 18 avril 2021 at 8:24 AM, BaileyTW said:

Something I learned recently when doing a hell of a lot of UV Max and Tyson runs of map 1 of Doom 2, which requires a lot of chainsawing, is that the chainsawing sound goes on for way longer than what you usually hear. I think it's because the chainsaw sound plays again as you use it so it resets the sound. If you pause while chainsawing you can hear the full sound (full sounds in general) and before this I didn't know that.

If you select the chainsaw before exiting a level, you'll hear the full chainsaw sound instead of the shotgun cocking sound upon entering the next level.

6 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

Woah woah woah wait a minute, slow your pinky roll. So it actually came out October 10 of 1994? not September 30? Fuck man i was just turning two years old four days after it came out. I'm old as fuck now lol

And I was nine. My older brother was twelve. And my younger brother wouldn't be born for another year. Oh how time flies.