Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

When playing E2M4 just now I just realized that you don't need to waste all the health potions in the soul sphere/demons secret. You can leave them there after you get the soul sphere and grab them later when you get the rad suit on the S bridge. (Don't know why I never realized this before).

That a cacodemon can get a shot off when being snowed by a plasma rifle. This is quite surprising as it barely ever can get a shot off when being pinned by a chaingun.

EDIT: Here's another one from like a week or so ago: without looking it up or looking at the automap, how many clusters of rad suits are there in the red maze on E3M7? As trivial a detail as this may seem, the answer really surprised me.

Hellbent said:

EDIT: Here's another one from like a week or so ago: without looking it up or looking at the automap, how many clusters of rad suits are there in the red maze on E3M7? As trivial a detail as this may seem, the answer really surprised me.

Eh? I don't get it.

Hellbent said:

I always thought it was three.
This suggests otherwise

Eris Falling said:

I always thought it was three.
This suggests otherwise

Hey buddy, I said without looking at a map. X-[ What I meant was, by playing the level and not using the automap or simply by going on what you remember when playing the map answer the question. Do not use any other resources to look up the answer as that defeats the whole point of me asking the question.

Cell said:

Eh? I don't get it.

You know Limbo, E3M7 the maze with like a bajillion rad suits? Put another way, how many rad suits do you think are down in that maze? The answer may surprise you.

Hellbent said:

Hey buddy, I said without looking at a map. X-[ What I meant was, by playing the level and not using the automap or simply by going on what you remember when playing the map answer the question. Do not use any other resources to look up the answer as that defeats the whole point of me asking the question.

But I did try without the map. I thought it was three.

Hellbent said:

You know Limbo, E3M7 the maze with like a bajillion rad suits? Put another way, how many rad suits do you think are down in that maze? The answer may surprise you.

I see, but what's so surprising about 8 being there?

Somehow there are 3 clusters: 2 rooms and 1 niche (with the Pinkie). Or did I miss another one?

But I can imagine that expectations may be different, and memories may fail.

I always thought it was like 4 clusters. I always thought there were soo many in there. And then I remember finding that I had used most of them up and thinking it odd since I figured if there's like 4 clusters I shouldn't use them up so easily. I guess it's kinda crazy that I never noticed until very recently that there are only two clusters despite it feeling like so many more when you are lost in that maze. It's just that you are coming upon the same two clusters over and over even though it feels like you are stumbling upon new ones all the time. :P

OK... that's... a realization. Good on you, lol...

Oh, I also had a big realization recently! In E1M2 I didn't even remember what was across the nukage when I began my marathon last week but I've made it up there previously several times obviously... so in the past week I've played it through about 3-4 times and only in the last playthrough did I realize that the room you can shoot into through a hidden window is the room you get to in there!
I have never seen the window from inside of the room and never made the connection. I always thought you had to kill all the zombiemen through the window which is pretty hard and you can lose a lot of health.

DoomCollector said:

Oh, I also had a big realization recently! In E1M2 I didn't even remember what was across the nukage when I began my marathon last week but I've made it up there previously several times obviously... so in the past week I've played it through about 3-4 times and only in the last playthrough did I realize that the room you can shoot into through a hidden window is the room you get to in there!
I have never seen the window from inside of the room and never made the connection. I always thought you had to kill all the zombiemen through the window which is pretty hard and you can lose a lot of health.

Did you mean E1M3's window into the tek room which leads to the secret exit?

glenzinho said:

Did you mean E1M3's window into the tek room which leads to the secret exit?

Yes! >_> I forgot E1M2... don't like it a lot.

By the way: flip DOOM upside down and it looks like WOOO!

DoomCollector said:

By the way: flip DOOM upside down and it looks like WOOO!

Or a slightly deformed type of the material "WOOD".

I'm feeling like a total idiot. I've been playing Doom for years but I've just discovered something I should have known long ago. Whenever I had the megaarmor and it was depleted, say to around 70 or 80, if I saw a green armor I'd pick it up and swap to that. 100 has to be better than 70, right? Totally wrong, of course. Megaarmor, however depleted, is still soaking up half of your damage until it runs out, whereas green armor, even at 100, only absorbs a third of your damage. I can't believe I didn't figure that out until recently! As I said, total idiot.

aldiboronti said:

I'm feeling like a total idiot. I've been playing Doom for years but I've just discovered something I should have known long ago. Whenever I had the megaarmor and it was depleted, say to around 70 or 80, if I saw a green armor I'd pick it up and swap to that. 100 has to be better than 70, right? Totally wrong, of course. Megaarmor, however depleted, is still soaking up half of your damage until it runs out, whereas green armor, even at 100, only absorbs a third of your damage. I can't believe I didn't figure that out until recently! As I said, total idiot.

Don't be so rough on yourself. Six years ago, age ten (when I first really discovered Doom besides playing on my grandpa's lap as a baby) I had the same mistake. That, and collecting big ammo pickups when near full capacity.

We've all been there bro.

aldiboronti said:

Took me a while to do the math as well.

massacrebosco said:

Doomguy's helmet is not gray, it's very light brown.

I think it's actually cream coloured. :P

I found out Sandy Peterson had a habit of not labeling items to appear on any difficulties by accident. E2M9 was supposed to have plasma ammo, and E3M8 has more rockets placed that don't appear.

aldiboronti said:

I play Doom almost every other day and I didn't know this until just now, so don't be so hard on yourself!

My brother recently pointed out that the very beginning of Mount Erebus looks like shotgun guy is raping the inpaled human, at least from the starting angle.

Green/Blue Armor me too in the past.

Also, when I am lazy, I still grab it to not forget later. Or grabbing health potions like a pacman even if I am already at 200%. To not forget 100% items.

Platinum Shell said:

Don't be so rough on yourself. Six years ago, age ten (when I first really discovered Doom besides playing on my grandpa's lap as a baby) I had the same mistake. That, and collecting big ammo pickups when near full capacity.

We've all been there bro.

We sure have.

Up until I started on Doomworld about 5 years ago, I had always assumed that any armor over 100% absorbed 2/3 damage, and any armor under 100% absorbed 1/3 damage. So by this reasoning, when a megarmor was damaged below 100%, its damage reduction 'degraded' to 1/3 absorption rather than 2/3. So if you had a megarmor that had 80% durability, you might as well pick up any green armor because they both would have the same characteristics at that point.

Wrong...

These days I will only pick up a green armor if my blue armor is less than 50%, and even then only at the end of a level. Might as well get your moneys worth out of that megarmor while you can.

Scypek2 said:

My brother recently pointed out that the very beginning of Mount Erebus looks like shotgun guy is raping the inpaled human, at least from the starting angle.

I think your brother failed the Doom equivalent of a rorscharch test, and definitely needs counseling.

aldiboronti said:

As I said, total idiot.

I only found this out using ZDoom's alternative HUD, yet I still insist on picking up the green armour.

Scypek2 said:

Wow! When you see it, you can't unsee it :)

Death Egg said:

I found out Sandy Peterson had a habit of not labeling items to appear on any difficulties by accident. E2M9 was supposed to have plasma ammo, and E3M8 has more rockets placed that don't appear.

*Petersen

Anyways, there are several objects sparsely alongside mostly E3 that are not flagged properly, therefore they're not present in neither of the levels. Since it's been almost 20 years the game was released, creating a "fixing patch" would be completely nonsense as all the oldskool players are used to how it came across them the first time they played DooM.

Another issue is that E2M3-E2M5 have rocket ammo but neither of them does have a rocket launcher.

Eris Falling said:

I only found this out using ZDoom's alternative HUD, yet I still insist on picking up the green armour.

I very rarely backtrack to pick anything up, so 100% green armor really is better than 30% blue armor. Actually, armor has always really just been a bonus I don't give much thought to. I don't want to think when I'm playing Doom. Any time I'm short enough on ammo that I need to backtrack I probably don't want to be playing that wad.