Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

BaronOfStuff said:

Speaking of PSX Doom crashes, has anyone else ever encountered this?

P LOADBLOCKS: DATA FAILURE
Obviously not an error within the game as such, but this appears when the console is having difficulty reading the disc... in my case, because the fucking lid on my old PSX doesn't close properly. I have to keep it pressed down with something reasonably heavy, like a hardback book.

There's a little circle button inside that the lid pushes down on (it's pretty obvious if you look for it). Try wading up some tissue or something and taping it on top of that button, but not hard enough that the PSX registers the lid being down when it's open. It should be just enough so that when the broken lid is down, it'll still push the button down enough to register as closed. (As you can probably guess, I speak from experience here.)

BaronOfStuff said:

The circular Thing display in DB (and any other map editor)

I'm using Slade2 at present and at the time of determining what editor to use (as shallow as it is) i opted for slade2 as it allows for displaying things as sprites in the map view.

Back in the 90's I used DCK2.2F which also had this feature.

It obviously makes bounding box checks a bit harder at a glance but over time you learn the widths of most things etc. when select a thing it shows the items bounding box though.

I'm not sure if DB2 has a sprite mode these days? Although I'm kinda set on slade2 (it does the job as they say).

traversd said:

I'm not sure if DB2 has a sprite mode these days?

It can display things as squares instead of circles.

Da Werecat said:

And, that is more useful since it makes easier to detect items stuck into walls/each other.

Da Werecat said:

Sorry - I'm derailing a bit here but this is what I'm referring to. Slade2 is the bottom image. When you select/move things their true bounding box is shown.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56320770/e1m1_DB2_SLADE2_small.png

I wonder if the plugin capabilities of DB2 would allow for coding a 3rd option for "things as sprites"?

traversd said:

Sorry - I'm derailing a bit here but this is what I'm referring to. Slade2 is the bottom image. When you select/move things their true bounding box is shown.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56320770/e1m1_DB2_SLADE2_small.png

I wonder if the plugin capabilities of DB2 would allow for coding a 3rd option for "things as sprites"?

I don't know about DB2, but "render[ing] sprites in 2D mode instead of thing boxes" has been a planned feature for GZDoom Builder (thread) for a long, long time now. I can only assume that this is the case for DB2 as well.

My favorite ways to render things is the one I added in SLADE 3: :)

Sprites within hitbox-sized squares. Translucent direction arrows (you can change the alpha if you want them more or less opaque). Frame in the color of the thing group. Best of all worlds.

Arch-vile resurrects baron "inside" another baron:

I wonder if it's a Boom thing or it can happen in vanilla too? (was playing with -complevel 9)

Memfis said:

Arch-vile resurrects baron "inside" another baron:

Wait, is it in PrBoom-plus? Or regular Boom? I've never heard of such quirk and it seems odd to me.
I believe it isn't in vanilla, because if it was, you could read about it here: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Engine_bug

Yes, in prboom-plus but I'm not sure which complevel. I had some problems on that map so I used TNTCOMP cheat a few times. Maybe I accidentally changed to MBF compatibility or something.

Looking at tempun's post here, this was presumably linked to Boom's "fix" for the AV bug. That is, the code that the Boom programmers added to prevent arch-viles from creating ghost monsters, also makes it possible for them to resurrect monsters that occupy the same space as existing ones.

Have you ever tried to make a transparent interpic? In Zdoom, the transparent part gets replaced with a screenshot of the level start position (first tic on the map, I guess.) 0.o that's quite awesome. On Boom, it ends up with HOM, which, actually, produces some similiar effect (last tic on the map), but it's screwed up when percentages are counting up or if you exit to menu. I wonder what would happen in vanilla.

BaronOfStuff said:

The circular Thing display in DB (and any other map editor) is just a cruel joke.

For the uninitiated, Things in all Doom engine games have square bases -- before I found this out (almost a decade ago now), I'd become immensely frustrated when monsters I'd placed had difficulty finding their way down and around paths at 45-degree angles, because on the editor display the circle would fit without an issue...

Ha, thats interesting! Never had this issue yet, but thats actually pretty important to remember :)

Cheers

Not sure if this was posted already.

I found out that the Pain Elemental's arms are Imp arms, and their horns are Cyberdemon horns.

I knew about the cyberdemon horns; but heard that it had pinky arms and didn't bother to check until now. Imp arms are a much closer match indeed.

It could be both, actually. Some sprites don't seem to have an Imp match.

MG_Man said:

(...)their horns are Cyberdemon horns.

It was indicated in the Wiki that they do have black horn just like the Cyber, but it wasn't that it was actually a copypaste.

I never knew about hands as well. I wonder if the eye is a shrunk invisiblity sphere too.

Cool - never knew that and most likely would never have noticed it.

Guess it saved the developers some time as making all those different angles must have been annoying.

Its so much quicker to make 3D versions now.

Scypek2 said:

I never knew about hands as well. I wonder if the eye is a shrunk invisiblity sphere too.

It is, actually. I suppose there is a gif earlier in either this thread, or in The Doom Confessional Booth.

bcwood16 said:

Cool - never knew that and most likely would never have noticed it.

Guess it saved the developers some time as making all those different angles must have been annoying.

Its so much quicker to make 3D versions now.

Too bad no attempt at 3D models of Doom's enemies have managed to look better than or even as good as the originals.