Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

The MAP01 "entryway" thing.
The starting pillar has a no texturing if you noclip outside through the gates.
Also , a DoomWorld confession - http://www.doomworld.com/1
This will open up a 404 page not found which I never saw, anyways here are some solutions it has for you.
Look at the third solution , I thought it's funny enough to post this here.

joe-ilya said:

Also , a DoomWorld confession - http://www.doomworld.com/1
This will open up a 404 page not found which I never saw, anyways here are some solutions it has for you.
Look at the third solution , I thought it's funny enough to post this here.

You must be high.

Although it's more to do with DoomWorld I just found out the first post on the site was helled.

Map21 of Plutonia

I just found out about an extra Soulsphere in the level. If you jump into the pit in the middle, there is a switch on the north side of the circular pit. When you hit it, the platform in front of you will lower (it's a lift), and it will also reveal a room behind this platform (on the north side of the map), with a Radiation Suit, Archvile, and Soulsphere.

I found out that in the original version of Heretic (Before SOTSR), the GIMMEZ0 cheat only gave you 5 of each item rather than 16.

peach freak said:

Map21 of Plutonia

I just found out about an extra Soulsphere in the level. If you jump into the pit in the middle, there is a switch on the north side of the circular pit. When you hit it, the platform in front of you will lower (it's a lift), and it will also reveal a room behind this platform (on the north side of the map), with a Radiation Suit, Archvile, and Soulsphere.

Well, ironically to the fact, I've only recently found out the location of the "first" Supercharge in MAP11 (which was actually the "base" of Plutonia MAP21), I mean, not the one you can see on the very high ledge from the right start. It was only an accidental movement as I backed up from an assaulting Chaingunner, prepared to die from about 20% of health, suddenly entering an alcove instead of bumping into the wall... 114% of health! Well, the motherfucker still went on, as I ended up with only 97% when I eventually killed him.

I think I know how 40oz felt when he found that section of E2M5 he never knew about.

I just found this section of The Abandoned Mines that I'm almost sure I've never been in before. I thought I maxed all of the iwad maps, but apparently not! It's accessible right from the start, too.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I think I know how 40oz felt when he found that section of E2M5 he never knew about.

I just found this section of The Abandoned Mines that I'm almost sure I've never been in before. I thought I maxed all of the iwad maps, but apparently not! It's accessible right from the start, too.

Is that the area to the right of the starting position? You turn to the right and open up a secret area?

I think one of the demos for the original Doom 2 went there.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I vividly remember finding this secret after a good 10 years - one of the coolest things in Doom is such a "late bloomer" experience.
It's an "epiphany" that solidifies a love eternal. ^^

EvilNed said:

Is that the area to the right of the starting position? You turn to the right and open up a secret area?

I think one of the demos for the original Doom 2 went there.

That's the one. I don't know how I've missed it for so long, I found all of the other interconnected areas there. I guess I just never bothered to turn all the way around.

The demo doesn't go there, though. I checked 1.9 and 1.666, and the demo is the same in both.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Yeah, cool area. I found it at about the fifth or sixth attempt of playing the map. Also, I never knew that I was able to open that door on the right leading to the backpack ledge.

Dragonsbrethren said:

That's the one. I don't know how I've missed it for so long, I found all of the other interconnected areas there. I guess I just never bothered to turn all the way around.

The demo doesn't go there, though. I checked 1.9 and 1.666, and the demo is the same in both.

The secret you're refering to is not to the right, it's behind the starting point. There is a secret area to the right as well, which must be accessed by first lowering the platform.

Fernito said:

The secret you're refering to is not to the right, it's behind the starting point. There is a secret area to the right as well, which must be accessed by first lowering the platform.

Which I've talked about in the comment above.

Fernito said:

Yeah for some reason I read that post as "right behind", I knew about the area that's actually to the right.

But I never knew that there are two shortcut passages as well. The one in the lowering floor room accessed by the teleporter near to the red key ("High Voltage" METAL2), the another one overlooking the huge dark nukage area with the rock pit with barrels and the Mancubus ("Pipe" METAL2).

I knew about leaky radsuits, but what I don't know is if it's intentional or a programming error. Any ideas? I assume an error, but you never know...

Here's something that took me a while to figure out: the "timer" on damaging floors is tied to the global timer, and independent of when the player first steps on the floor. So you might get hurt right away, or you might have most of a second before you take damage.

Regarding the radsuits, it was certainly on purpose, to give the player some protection to pass such areas, but not safety to stay there. The world of Doom was made to be insecure. Death is everywhere. Especially in laziness. Get out of there, hurry up!

plums said:

I knew about leaky radsuits, but what I don't know is if it's intentional or a programming error. Any ideas? I assume an error, but you never know...

Here's something that took me a while to figure out: the "timer" on damaging floors is tied to the global timer, and independent of when the player first steps on the floor. So you might get hurt right away, or you might have most of a second before you take damage.

I heard that you can work out when damage from damaging floors will be inflicted by using the bobbing weapon as a guide. IIRC it happens when the bob is at it's lowest point.

Oh ho ho, that's pretty clever. After a quick test it looks like when the weapon is at the highest point is when you take damage, which is easier to look at because there's a jerk in the motion as the weapon bobs back down.

I didn't know about the radsuit leakage until I read it here some time ago. Then I noticed it while playing a short time after. Actually, this goes for a lot of the things I learned here - I never really appreciated how complex Doom was for most of my life.

Even things like activating linedef actions above/below the player's view (like the button that opens the green armour room in Doom II MAP01) were unknown to me.

Mapping also helped me see Doom levels in a completely new way. The downside to this is that I now see textures misalignments freaking everywhere, man.

schwerpunk said:

The downside to this is that I now see textures misalignments freaking everywhere, man.

Even in real life? ;-p